• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

One more excuse 2 not play drums

Started by smoggrocks, March 19, 2008, 07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoggrocks

well truth be told, i did start practicing again a few weeks back, but this past wkend, i decided i was superwoman and could hoist a large tv set up 3 flights of stairs.

turns out i couldn't.

the dang thing was way too heavy, i lost my footing, tried to keep the set from sliding down the stairs & breaking, and in the process, tore my index finger from end to end.

i didn't even really feel the cut happen, but when i looked at my hand i saw a rather gaping and bloody wound, with lots of open flesh. i left the tv in the lobby, ran upstairs, did the cold water/gauze and ice thing, then went to the ER, where i got stitched up.

i'll be ok, provided no infection comes up, but i will require reconstructive surgery & physical therapy, as i macerated some tissue. it was a rather nasty cut.

so now i have a fair excuse to not play drums...and buy a flat screen tv ;D

smoggarina, the one-handed typing demon 8)

ps the friggin' tv is fine. ::)

Chip Donaho

I know how that goes real well Smoggy. Have had a few stiches, torn muscles, plus other major injuries in my life. Look at the good side, you can still watch the stupid TV while you heal. That's only a short excuse, you'll be back before you know it ounce past the surgery. One step at a time, go easy on it. I hated therapy, but it won't take long. Sorry to hear that Smoggy. I've never been a muscle man either.  ::)   

Larry Lawless

OUCH!!
Queen Smoggy take care of yourself and get back to the drumming as soon as you can.

And I've been missing you here on the Cafe, too!

diddle

Quote from: smoggrocks on March 19, 2008, 07:09 PM
i macerated some tissue... smoggarina, the one-handed typing demon 8)

I macerated some peaches with a lil brandy... then flamed 'em on da stove... mmm yummie  8)

btw, put that remote down and get back to practice...  :-*

felix

Yes we miss you.

My friend, try to get some friends to help you move or pay some big hot muscle bound studs to do your dirty work!

NY Frank

Just remember that you can practice without your hands.

There's plenty that can be done with your:
- Mind
- Feet

Get healed soon.

sleepybrIghteyez

smoggrocks

so 3 weeks and change later and the update is...i am healing really, really well! i'm so happy.

got the stitches taken out this past weekend [that really hurt--they were sewn in deep] but will not require reconstructive surgery, as the tendons were unaffected. i'm really psyched about that, because the rehab for that is very painful.

i started phys. therapy yesterday, but can only do so much because my finger's still pretty swelled and the scab that started forming needs to fall off. but just from yesterday to today, i see a difference. so far i can just bend it almost halfway, but that's cool coz last week i couldn't bend it at all. bending hurts considerably.

i'm putting a ton of vitamin e oil on it [14,000 i.u], drinking 4 organic fruit/veggie juices a day to assist with speedy healing, and massaging it throughout the day.

so that's the deal. hopefully i'll be fully healed in less than a month.

when i get some time, i'm gonna post fingerpics on my myspace site. i only have post-stitch removal shots, though. i took some great ones in the ER when it was really gooey, but was semi-delirious and forgot to hit 'save.'  :P

pullmyfinger2ya!
smoggy d

NY Frank

Get better.

And pullmyfinger, too.   ;D

paul

That's great news, Smogg.  You'll be wailing again in no time.

Paicey

Poor Li'l Smoggy, she gots a BAD feener now. You know what they say drummer girl, what doesnt kill ya makes ya stronger. Listen here Little Smoggmeister, your not Wonderwoman ok, leave the moving to I-Go. Why didnt ya call one of us boys to help ya? :). Could you please! just be more carefull next time you feel like redecorating your pad. Poor Li'l baby gots a hurt feener now :'(.

Robyn

Wow...and I thought I was bad, being sick for the last 5 weeks! :o

Glad to hear you are on the mend. ;D

robyn

TUNELOW

Want some cheese to go with that wine, just kiddin.  I know what you are going through but even to a worserer extent.  I used to play traditional grip up until about 6 years ago.  I work in power plants and one day while rigging a 250 HP motor onto the foundation the "I" bolt broke crushing the ends of my middle finger and ring finger on my left hand.  I lost my ring finger down to the first joint and a small part of my middle finger.  Still do not have any feeling on the tip of my middle finger but I manage.  Anyway, now I obviously play matched grip, and I do feel I lost quite a bit having to go matched but I do just fine.  To be honest I was sitting back down at my set about a week after it happened, not being able to play well but nonetheless playing what I could, I could not stay away.  Hang in there, you'll be back....

smoggrocks

Quote from: TUNELOW on May 26, 2008, 01:11 AM
Want some cheese to go with that wine, just kiddin.  I know what you are going through but even to a worserer extent.  I used to play traditional grip up until about 6 years ago.  I work in power plants and one day while rigging a 250 HP motor onto the foundation the "I" bolt broke crushing the ends of my middle finger and ring finger on my left hand.  I lost my ring finger down to the first joint and a small part of my middle finger.  Still do not have any feeling on the tip of my middle finger but I manage.  Anyway, now I obviously play matched grip, and I do feel I lost quite a bit having to go matched but I do just fine.  To be honest I was sitting back down at my set about a week after it happened, not being able to play well but nonetheless playing what I could, I could not stay away.  Hang in there, you'll be back...

duuude...i am totally clutching my finger [and my stomach] as i read this. that is so intense. i am immensely impressed that you got back in the saddle so soon. mine throbbed for a long time and the scab thing made me unable to get my finger round the stick. plus i needed something to w(h)ine about  ;D

you are a trooper, man. it's a good thing they make lots of grips though, no?  ;) i hafta say, i thought my recovery would go much quicker, but it's taking a long time for the swelling/scar tissue to settle down. but i have started playing again--in fact, i'm certain that the movement of the stick along the scar tissue is really good for healing. i guess it's like anything--move it or lose it.

i'm glad you got the wind back in your sail--though being somewhat fond of traditional grip myself, i feel for ya. 

felix

Quote from: TUNELOW on May 26, 2008, 01:11 AM
Want some cheese to go with that wine, just kiddin.  I know what you are going through but even to a worserer extent.  I used to play traditional grip up until about 6 years ago.  I work in power plants and one day while rigging a 250 HP motor onto the foundation the "I" bolt broke crushing the ends of my middle finger and ring finger on my left hand.  I lost my ring finger down to the first joint and a small part of my middle finger.  Still do not have any feeling on the tip of my middle finger but I manage.  Anyway, now I obviously play matched grip, and I do feel I lost quite a bit having to go matched but I do just fine.  To be honest I was sitting back down at my set about a week after it happened, not being able to play well but nonetheless playing what I could, I could not stay away.  Hang in there, you'll be back....

I LIKE this newbie.  He gives blood!  YEAH!!!

Patrick Quigley

My senior year of high school I broke my wrist skateboarding... causing me to miss State snare solo competition (BUMMER!).  Good news was that I still beat a challenger in band for first chair... WITH MY CAST ON!

Tim

Dave Weckl shares a story in his How to Practice video where he sliced his right thumb very badly and he felt like he wasn't going to be able to play for a while.

But instead he decided to practice while focusing on his left hand while doing just quarter-notes with his right hand.  He drilled on some coordination and combinations between his left hand and his feet and he feels that this turned out to be a very good thing for him because he got better in some weak areas as a result.

So, I guess if you can still keep quarter notes with it, then you can still practice. :)  And like Dave, you can certainly work on things you otherwise never would've thought about.

But as I read through this, I was really happy to see that you are doing better and are back on the drums!