• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Building a Shaker??

Started by Scott, December 31, 2002, 07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Well, I did do a search on this and didn't find anything specific to building so here it is:

Has anyone ever built a shaker?  Do you have any experience with what materials work best and for what sounds?

I am looking for a somewhat louder shaker to use live with a rock band.  This is basically one of those grooves where you're shakin' with the right hand instead of playing the high hat or ride.  It would need to cut a little bit naturally.  

I've played around a little with this but have never ended up using anything I've created live.  The best combination so far was copper BBs in a coffee can.  LOL

I was using a cheap Rhythm Tech shaker at a rehearsal last night and guess what?  Yep, it exploded during the tune (one of the ends just came off)!  LOL  Thus, the "if you want something done right, do it yourself" attitude.  haha  :)

Mister Acrolite

There are all kinds of ways to make shakers. Just go to the grocery store or to Home Depot!

For the shell, here are some ideas:

• Coors beer can (very light delicate aluminum, sounds great filled with rice - nice to record with)
  • Fosters beer can (harder metal, louder, more durable, better for live work)
  • Leggs stockings container (those egg-shaped thingies)
  • PVC pipe
  • Any metal pipe that's wide enough
  • Pringles can
  • Tennis ball container
For the "filler" try these options:

• rice
  • other dried grains, like cous-cous, beans, etc.
  • sand
  • peppercorns
  • bb's

Experiment around, and you're bound to find a combination you like!

Bart Elliott

I've got a fairly loud shaker that I made using an old Fax paper tube, with BB shot inside, and corked the ends.

The loudest is definitely going to be metal, but something strong enough to handle the shot inside, which is also going to be the loudest material since it to is metal.

Manufactured: the LP Torpedo has got to be the loudest thing I've heard. My lord it's loud. I've used it on enormous stages for huge crowds, and it still catches the attention of the musicians on stage ... it's just that loud. And ... it's durable.

Mister Acrolite

Incidentally, this thread reminds me that I am the WORST SHAKER/TAMBOURINE PLAYER IN THE WORLD.

I've done a few percussion gigs, but my hat is off to guys like Bart who can really PLAY this stuff.

For some reason I can NOT play instruments that you shake with any kind of consistent groove. I can HIT things in time, but I can't SHAKE them. I'm all over the place. At sessions when we're polishing a tune, the producer will often ask if I want to lay down a tambourine or shaker track. I always try to get out of this, because it takes me forever to get a clean track. Pretty soon the producer says, "let ME try that" and nails it in one take. Grrrrrrr...

Don't know why that is, but I can't shake worth sh:t! :-[

Scott

That's hilarious, Mr. A.   :D

Thanks B-man and Mr. A for the suggestions on materials and filling.  That gives me some great options to work with.  

Now, I have to ask -- how do you plug the ends of the shell (i.e. the hole in the beer can, ends of pipe or tube, etc.)?  B-man mentioned corking the ends -- remember I'm the dense Cafe member around here  :), but by corking are you referring to the actual corking material or to a type of plugging method?  If the former, do you just measure the size of the hole to plug and cut the circle out of the cork material and plug or is there more to it?

I have to ask this one because when my Rhythym Tech shaker exploded last night, one of the ends just came out.  Well, looking at it looks like nothing more than a fitted piece of plastic with no glue or fastening material.  I put it back on and it seemed to fit alright but of course, I'm afraid to use it again.   :)  If it happened once, it will happen again and it wouldn't be preferred to have happen on stage.  Hmm, maybe something for the showmanship thread.  LOL  :)

Jim Martin (cavanman)

I don't know if the following is going to help you make a loud one but I have made a couple of my own shakers.

I have about 5-6 shakers since I do percussion gigs also(just did a session playing drums, congas, shaker, WASHBOARD!). Even though I have purchased some of these 'factory made'  shakers, my hands down favorite is a plastic orange juice bottle (single serving size) with a screw on cap filled with rice - that I made in my college Latin Percussion class in the '80's! It was the first shaker I played with any technique.
It just has a great feel to it. That's one of the great things about making the shaker is that you can vary the amount of the filler you put in it.
One note to apply when making these babies is to factor in how the shaker 'feels' when playing it (in the appropriate music style). That can so much affect how it works for you. And make a few different ones. You'd be surprised how different shakers sound in different rooms/miking setups/styles/tempos, etc.

As far as 'sealing' a tube (and BTW I own a square shaker also), I've seen the "cap" held on by duct tape, soldering(!), glue and of course - a screw cap.

This is a very inexpensive and totally creative way to up your ante of toys. One thing to warn against is try to pick light-weight containers. If you are shaking that thing in a loud groove situation, you'd better be buff when the shaker is made of a medium to heavy-weight material (BTW - buff dudes can sometimes have a bit of a challenge with fine shaker nuances involving the wrist). That first 20-30 seconds may not get you but after a song has been going on for 2-3 minutes, you'll know whether you made a good choice or not. I've experienced that and it turns into more of an athletic event instead of music.

CHICKA-CHICKA-CHICKA-CHICKA-CHICKA....
"I-think-I-can,"I-think-I-can,"I-think-I-can"  - :)

Anyway, this is a fun and a cool pursuit. Good luck with it!

Jim

jamava

I made some shakers with 8oz. plastic drinking tumblers.  I put some rice in one, set a second one upside down on top of the first one and duct taped the two together.  They were inexpensive (8 for a dollar at the dollar store) and the finished product is a good size and shape to hold.