• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Glen Campbell

Started by Matt Self (Gaddabout), December 11, 2008, 01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

This is Glen Campbell with Vinnie doing more of his amazing session work. The drums are notable, but I'm just putting Glen out there because (1) I think he's unappreciated and (2) I have to support my Arizona homies. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az2LlYyuoZQ

Bart Elliott

Yeah man, Glen Campbell is the man. Many people don't realize what an incredible musician he really is. Back in the 60's, he was THE session guitarist. Glen was the Hal Blaine of guitar, in fact Hal and Glen were part of "The Wrecking Crew". So all those Hal Blaine credits ... Glen was right there with him for the most part.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Bart Elliott on December 11, 2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah man, Glen Campbell is the man. Many people don't realize what an incredible musician he really is. Back in the 60's, he was THE session guitarist. Glen was the Hal Blaine of guitar, in fact Hal and Glen were part of "The Wrecking Crew". So all those Hal Blaine credits ... Glen was right there with him for the most part.

He has chosen to cover Green Day and Foo Fighters on this CD. ;) The man has known what's hip for 40 years!

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Bart Elliott on December 11, 2008, 01:58 PM
Back in the 60's, he was THE session guitarist. Glen was the Hal Blaine of guitar

Yes, he's great.
A great musician and songwriter.
Seems like a nice chap too.

William Leslie

I've always enjoyed Glen Campbell's work.

drumz1

Glen Campbell is still a killer musician, and still works many venues.  I hung out with him at a gig we did in Pigeon Forge TN a few months ago.  He told me that he's pretty much done it all and seen it all, and that he had some regrets for a few things he did, but he has settled down these days and is living a useful and productive life.

Like me, his face has a few miles on it (mine more than his, if the truth be told), but his chops are still great and his voice is good, as well.  I would like to add the fact that, to use a short phrase, he was just a nice guy, and easy to talk to.  No "big attitude", just down-to-earth talk about life and the music business, it was a blast.  I enjoyed the time we spent together.

Here's a photo of him and me that our road manager took (please, no disparaging words about my face, if you don't mind, I make it point to never look in the mirror when I wake up):

Regards,
drumz1

smoggrocks

drumz1--that's a great pic! you guys look like old chums.

i never knew that about glen being a go-to session guy; very cool. i would imagine he'd be interesting to talk to. always loved that mellifluous voice of his. and i liked a lot of what i heard in that video.

believe it! :D

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Famous Glen Campbell guitar tracks (that I can remember off the top of my head):

- All of Pet Sounds
- Strangers In the Night
- You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'
- I'm a Believer
- Surf City
- Little Old Lady from Pasadena

All this and the man can't read music.

Edit: Oh yes, that's Campbell's rhythm riff on The Champs' Tequila. He was a member.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Glen Campbell, Alice Cooper, & Ted Nugent at the creepiest Christmas party on the planet (Alice Cooper's Christmas Pudding)

Donald Mcnany (boomerweps)

A well known session guitarist, Glen Campbell, was brought in and replaced BRIAN WILSON as bassist and harmony singer for the Beach Boys on tour when Wilson had his famous meltdown.

Boomerweps

Paicey

If it was Glenn that played on alot of my 60's bubblegum favorites hes got my vote as Dr. cool 8).

drumz1

He really does have quite a history.

From Wikipedia.com:

"During his 50 years in show business, Campbell has released more than 70 albums. He has sold 45 million records and racked up 12 RIAA Gold albums, 4 Platinum albums and 1 Double-Platinum album. Of his 75 trips up the charts, 27 landed in the Top 10. Campbell was hand-picked by actor John Wayne to play alongside him in the 1969 film True Grit, which gave Campbell a Golden Globe nomination for Most Promising Newcomer, and gave Wayne his only Academy Award. Campbell sang and had a hit with the title song (by the same name) which was nominated for an Academy Award. He performed it live at that year's Academy Awards Show.

In 2005, Campbell was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame."

You can read the entire article by clicking this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Campbell 

Regards,
drumz1

Jon E

I believe Glen had a big hand in Ovation guitars also.  Either in helping develop the pickup/electronic technology or something like that.  I know the Ovation company REALLy took off when he appeared on his weekly TV show playing one each week.

NY Frank

Quote from: Jon E on December 13, 2008, 04:40 PM
I believe Glen had a big hand in Ovation guitars also.  Either in helping develop the pickup/electronic technology or something like that.  I know the Ovation company REALLy took off when he appeared on his weekly TV show playing one each week.

Yes - he gave a big boost to the Ovation design. 

KevinD

I'm glad to see Glen Campbell is getting some notoriety. I saw him on TV a few weeks ago doing the Foo Fighter's song, his kids were playing with him. It was pretty good. I've always liked his music, my folks had a lot of his records (and 8 tracks) and his music was some of the first I remember hearing, and his TV show was one of the first things I can remember watching (that, the Herb Alpert specials and the Johnny Cash show) on TV when I was young.

There used to be an interview floating around the web with him and Steve Lukather discussing being a session musican and some of the huge dates they've both worked on. ( I think it was orignallly on rehearsals.com-but that site has changed a lot). Really good insight though.

If I remember correctly it was in Hal Blaine's book that he menitoned that Glen Campbell was a very good guitarist but couldn't read music and that held him back (for the studio scene anyway).

He has had quite a career and has led quite a life, I'm glad to see things looking up for him these days.

frankbriggs

Thanks Matt
I have always dug Glen Campbell...his guitar playing and his voice.
This sounds like a great record. Gotta love Vince he sounds great on these tracks.

Danno

Quote from: drumz1 on December 11, 2008, 10:30 PM
...he was just a nice guy, and easy to talk to.  No "big attitude", just down-to-earth talk about life and the music business, it was a blast...

That's awesome. SO cool you got to hang out with him.

My wife's a big fan - unlike myself she has singing/guitar playing chops and she has always maintained that Glen Campbell rocks. Me, I've been a fan since Wichita Lineman. That song defines 'haunting'.

Schlagzeuger

Just the other day I was singing my heart out to Rhinestone Cowboy on my ride home....   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk9ru8ase0Y

Here's a Beach Boys medley with Campbell on the 12-string (circa mid-70s, turn volume up):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZf49jYrzH8

Southern Nights with Jerry Reid (love the shorts):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV_6wSfpShc

Chip Donaho

Glen is his own man, he has his own style of both playing and singing.
I'd love to meet the man.... I'm sure we could swap a few stories.  ;D

DrumDude

my dad and Glen grew up together in SW Arkansas. Glen's uncle, Boo, taught Glen and my dad how to play guitar. Boo can outplay Glen still..lol

i've met Glen at the airport here, he is a nice guy.