• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Need a rapid consult: thumb blister

Started by NY Frank, May 16, 2009, 12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

I have a double header this weekend.

I played tonight, and I have another gig tomorrow.

The problem: I burned my left thumb pad slightly earlier today, and at the gig,
it turned into a blister.  I was ok for the gig, but it was hurting more and more throughout.  I'm thinking I have the potential for a problem making it through tomorrow night's gig.

What should I do with the blister?  Any quick remedies that will keep it from causing a problem?

eardrum

Switch to traditional grip??

Your doctor may not agree but I'd pop the blister ASAP, cut off the loose skin, and dis-infect.  Fingers can heal pretty fast but probably not 24 hours...  For the gig, I'd put a good thick band aid on it.  I wouldn't want the blister poping just before or during the gig.  If it hurts too bad to play, let me know and I'll sit in for you ;D  I could be there in about 8 hours...

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: eardrum on May 16, 2009, 12:58 AM
Your doctor may not agree but I'd pop the blister ASAP, cut off the loose skin, and dis-infect.  Fingers can heal pretty fast but probably not 24 hours...  For the gig, I'd put a good thick band aid on it.  I wouldn't want the blister poping just before or during the gig.  If it hurts too bad to play, let me know and I'll sit in for you ;D  I could be there in about 8 hours...

Agreed. Pop, disinfect, and tape it up. I used to reinforce my bandaids with duct tape, and when I was touring with loud acts, I'd have pre-cut strips of duct tape hanging from nearby cymbal stands, in case I got a blister and needed to do an emergency patch-job during a show.

Ain't nothin' you can't fix with enough duct tape!

NY Frank

NY Frank

Thanks guys.  It worked out fine.

After I popped and drained it, it just sort of dried out. 
I forgot to tape it later, but, I didn't think of it once all gig.
No problems.

Thanks.

eardrum

That's cool. How did the gig go.  I'm very interested in your gigs since I just played my first jazz trio gig the other day...

NY Frank

Congrats on the jazz gig.

These were my cover gigs - a dance/rock/party band.  We don't have double headers often, but they happen occasionally, and we had one this weekend.
I was a little concerned the blister would pose a problem, but all went well.