• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Recovering Project...

Started by Bob Dias, July 09, 2009, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Dias

As I take inventory of my gear, I realized that I did not have a "normal" drum kit.  My Roto-tom kit is great but very "out there". My ash stave kit is great, but I am not sure I want to gig it around town all the time.  So, I picked up some ludwig toms inexpensively, will mate them with my Luddy bass, recover, and have a "new-to-me" conventional kit that I would be happy playing anywhere without the constant worry.

The drums:
20 x 20 Ludwig maple reissue bass
16 x 16 Ludwig accent custom (birch) FT
13 x 11 Ludwig accent custom (birch) tom

They are going to get stripped down, new bearing edges and recovered with WMP wrap (I always wanted a classic big band looking kit).  I'll post lots-o-pics and descriptions of what I'm doing and why along the way.  Its a relatively simple project, but a lot of folks have never seen it done.

I ordered the wrap and a few miscellaneous items today. I'll get some "before" pics posted before I start tearing the drums down.

Cheers, Bob

NY Frank

Outstanding.  More free entertainment about to come from
Superman Bob's Custom Drum Shop.

;D

Bob Dias

Starting pics...

The 16 and 13" toms are the standard laquer-finished birch (black and blue, respectively). The bass is covered in the reissue psych-red wrap.  Have been looking for matching toms for the bass for 2+ years, but to no avail. So...RECOVER!

Chip Donaho

I had a Mod-Orange Ludwig set about the same time Psyhcodilic Red was out. Sure wish I would have kept that set. Great sounding old Ludwigs. By the way, that was about 1969/70 when those colors were first out. ;)

Bob Dias

Step one:  strip, sand, seal (or conseal).

Ok. The wrap has been gently pryed off the bass.  The two toms were sanded with an orbital sander (120 grit) to haze up the gloss finish.  The bass was sanded also.  All drums recieved 2-3 coats of Kilz.  This stuff is great.  Its main function in this process is to prevent the blue/black stain finish on the toms from "leaking" through the wrap and discoloring it overtime.  I used it on the bass for consistancy. Also, having a sealer on the drums allows for the tape I am going to use to stick better than just on raw wood. 

The bearing edges were fine, so I decided to not to mess with them. Usually I prefer  a round-over exterior with a 45 interior. These are 45 on the interior with nothing on the exterior. I took a them to a sanding table to level the edges out and used a sandingblock to put a SLIGHT round over on the outside. Nothing Major.

Next up, I will sand the interiors clean and apply 2 coates of tung oil to the interior and the edges. I like my drums completely sealed so the effects from changing humidity are minimal.  I'll also tung oil my new maple hoops.

more to come..Bob

NY Frank

Ooooh.   Nice.   

I wish I lived near you.  I'd be hanging out in that shop with you.

I'm one of these guys who is completely amazed with wood work,
but I don't have the tools or knowledge myself.

Turning wood into a music-making instrument = Amazing.   

Bob Dias

Frank,

Not so much woodworking this time out, more like finish carpentry  ::). 

Just got done with the first coat of tung oil. YIKES. The two toms were drier than (insert your favorite similie here).  They sucked up the tung oil like it was going to beclared illegal any moment.  The bass had a sealer/finish on it.  In the photo above, the interior of the bass is darker than the two toms. Now, the interior of toms are slightly darker than the bass.

I suppose that (proper sealing) is one of the hallmarks of "top end" drums compared to those that are not.  The two birch Accent toms clearly had no finish or even any sealer applied to the inside.  I suppose this is why they are more tempermental when it comes to tuning, etc.  I expect to keep this kit so I have no problem spending $15 to seal the wood to better protect it from the elements (spilled beer included)

Recomendation: If you own a set of drums that are not sealed on the interior, make that your first project.   

B.

Bob Dias

cutting the wrap....

I lay my wrap down on the floor on top of an old piece of table-top laminate (home depot). A metal square and a sharpie pen work just fine to lay out the cuts.  My laminate has a protective layer of clear plastic on top, so I can draw right on it, then peel away when done.

I cut my pieces 1/2" short of full depth and 1.5" longer than full circumferance.  The 1/2" short gives me 1/4" play at each bearing edge...necessary if you need to do minor surgery at the bearing edges later, and you have some play for minor (very minor) offest when actually wraping the drum. 

The adhesive tape is 1.5" wide...so I use a full-width overlap.

Bob Dias

Adhesive Tape...

For this project I am using the double-sticky adhesive tape that you can buy from any of the comanies that carry drumwrap.  It is 1.5" wide, and a full roll is enough to do many projects.  IT IS VERY STICKY...almost as permanent as glues.

I use the tape everywhere there is an edge, seam or holes. The pic from the tom below should give you an idea.  The pink stiff is the tape prior to removal of the protectice plastic.

Bob Dias

Oh yea...before I placed the tape, I decided where my seam was to be. Put the shell on my nice flat granite kitchen counter with a straight edge.  My seem will stradle two lugs...helps to lock it all in place.

Bob Dias

point of no return...

When putting the wrap on the drum, everything MUST be true, square, etc.  One small hiccup propogates all around the drum. I align the wrap with the line I drew on the tom, and cross my fingers as I pull off the protective pink plastic and press the wrap on to the adhesive tape...praying to the drum god that I kept everything square and straight.  Usually a few test fits prior to final application brings peace of mind.

Here is the tom, wrapped with lugs.  The lug holes were cut out with an Exacto knife.

Here is the tom with all hardware and a head.  I have finished the bass, and will post a family photo as soon as I finish the floor tom tonight.  I'll gig with them on friday 24-July at MojoBones in Norfolk, if there is anyone in town!

Bob Dias

The whole family (20 x 18 bass, 16 x 16 ft, 13 x 11 tom)

I managed to pick up a matching 10" tom that I will recover this week to make it full 5-piece when mated with my acrolite.

Cheers, Bob

NY Frank

Wow.  That is some seriously impressive work.

But - I knew it was gonna be that way.     :)

Jim Martin (cavanman)

"Oooo..." - That was my first exclamation as soon as the WMP tom with suspension appeared on my screen. What a great job. Have fun playing those babies.

Bob Dias

all put together...Bob

NY Frank

... let's give him a round of applause ...