• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Old Guy elbow and knee pain

Started by Larry Rankine, September 18, 2010, 03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Rankine

Saw the older post of "old guy shoulder and elbow pain" and thought I'd try to get an updated thread going to review what folks are doing to deal with it since I've recently started having both (elbow and (kick) knee pain).  I've heard that the Glucosomine tabs aren't all they're cracked up to be and I've been taking Aleve (Naproxene) and using IcyHot which helps a little. Will probably go see the Doc if it continues.  Thoughts everyone?

Andy Ziker

Quote from: Larry Rankine on September 18, 2010, 03:40 PM
Saw the older post of "old guy shoulder and elbow pain" and thought I'd try to get an updated thread going to review what folks are doing to deal with it since I've recently started having both (elbow and (kick) knee pain).  I've heard that the Glucosomine tabs aren't all they're cracked up to be and I've been taking Aleve (Naproxene) and using IcyHot which helps a little. Will probably go see the Doc if it continues.  Thoughts everyone?
"Drum Yoga" is the answer! In my new book, Drum Aerobics, I've included a 4-page pictorial (with descriptions) of a warm-up routine that I try to do each morning. It sure helps out this old body!
And don't worry. I'm not the fitness model. I hired one of my stepdaughters to be the model. She is a former gymnast now working for Cirque du Soleil.

Larry Rankine

Thanks Andy, I'll be sure to check out your information.  At this point I am more interested in alleviating my symptoms first and then workng on the "maintenance" aspect. 

Rylie

Hey Larry...fellow "old guy" ;o).

I continue to deal with chronic tennis elbow in my right arm. After months of braces, physical therapy, prescribed excercises, anti-inflammatories and such, I'm still pretty much where I started other than having learned one thing that actually helps:

Freeze a small Dixie cup full of water, and massage your affected area with the ice for about 10 minutes or until it goes numb from the cold, followed thereafter by a heating pad for 10 minutes. Not too long with the heat, in my experience.

This routine seems to do the most good for me, especially before and after a practice or gig. Since I started doing this, I haven't dropped a stick due to pain or been limited in my motion, other than to the extent that my inherent lack of skills do so.

You may want to try it.

donelk

I've also found that stretching and thorough warm-ups before the gig, and mild stretching after REALLY helps.

Larry Rankine

Thanks Rylie and Don for your replies!  I'll certainly give both suggestions a try.  Not sure if others are in the same boat or not but my "day job" includes a LOT of time on a keyboard and mouse which I'm sure isn't helpful.  So I'm taking some other "ergonomic steps" with keyboard and mouse placement .........hopefully this will help too. 

Big Yummy

Quote from: Larry Rankine on September 24, 2010, 01:40 PM
I'm taking some other "ergonomic steps"..

I've had a lot of luck with paying more attention to ergonomics - behind the kit and elsewhere - and taking low-dose Aspirin daily.

Larry Rankine

Well, here's an update which is I'm still "deal'in with it."   :-\  Been doing the stretching, taking meds, even been seeing a PT recently (which has helped).  Thought of something else that I wanted everyone's opinion on.  I recently changed sticks going from a hickory model to an oak model.  The oak is definitely denser and a little heavier than the hickory........just wondering if that could be an aggravating factor.  Sure hope not cause I really like these sticks......but I'd rather go to a softer wood if it would do any good.  Thoughts?

Rylie

I don't have an opinion on the stick weight thing, but I did finally give up on all of my other prescribed remedies and had the cortisone shot last Thursday. IMMEDIATE relief! It's like having a new elbow. I will say however that the shot hurt like hell, but it was over soon enough...and I didn't even cry...much.

I just hope it lasts.   >:(

On the sticks, seems like heavier sticks would cause more stress, just moving them around and such, but maybe that's a good thing. I hope you find relief soon, however you get it, as I know what a bummer it is to whince in pain when you're having so much fun.

NY Frank

No remedies from me, just sympathies.    :)

The hardest part of last year's gigging for me was: the physical nature of the job.  The lugging and set up of my equipment, and the lugging of the - very excessive - equipment the band leader brought.  For the me, the remedy is known - I need to get back into shape.  I'm currently in very bad shape weight, aerobic, and back wise.   What's a piece of cake for someone younger in shape is - a pretty big deal to me these days.   

When I get back out there in 2011, I'm hoping for:
- An instrumental jazz band that doesn't actually haul a PA or lights   :)
- A drum kit I can Completely in one bag - with wheels.      :)
- A band that plays the 8 - 11 gigs, not the 10 - 2am gigs.

No fun getting old.

Larry Rankine

I had the "shot" too.  It was great!  Unfortunately it only lasted about a week..... :'(  that's why my MD sent me to physical therapy..... :'(

In any event, I'd like to wish all of my brother and sister drummers out there a wonderful, happy and above all SAFE Christmas and New Year!

NY Frank

Quote from: Andy Ziker on September 18, 2010, 07:24 PM
"Drum Yoga" is the answer!

You need to go copyright the word  "Droga."      ;)

Larry Rankine

Larry Rankine

Well guys (and gals) I'm please to report that it appears I'm finally getting back to "normal."  I've been working with a physical therapist for the past few weeks and it's been having a noticeable difference..........the drugs help too!  I'm hoping to do away with the drugs in the next week or two.  Will keep y'all posted!   ;D

Bart Elliott

Great news Larry! You'll have to share some of the therapy exercises you've been doing.

DR

Here is a trick I have used for many years.  I keep a several bags of corn in the freezer for icing whatever body parts need attention.  Just mold a bag or two to each bad joint, wrap it in place, and set a timer.  Toss the bags back in the freezer for the next treatment.  Of course, you'll want to identify your "ice bags" with a permanent marker to keep anyone from using your bags of corn for a meal.  ...Assuming you have a fondness for others in your home.

I find that the frozen corn kernels mold better to joints compared to larger ice cubes.  Plus it is reusable.  And I make less mess than the traditional ice cubes or ice in a cup approach.

NY Frank

Great to hear, Larry.   Keep us posted.

MOUSE

Three natural med capsules if you like  iv'e used and i'm a bit more mobile, I have weaned off the first two.

1/ Bee Venom for anti-inflamatory
2/ White willow for pain
3/ Red Krill and gelatin for joint oiling

Scot Holder

We all feel the pain as we get older, but here are a couple of tips (most likely obvious ones) that really helped me get back into playing in an adult soccer league a few years ago after knee surgery:

1) When you ice your sore joint(s), don't just apply the ice to the sore side.  Instead, wrap the entire joint with a large ice pack.  Large, re-freezable packs are readily available at any drug store.  Wrapping the entire joint with ice will greatly reduce the recovery time - at lest it did in my case.

2) Even more obvious, get fit!  And it's important to use a wide range of exercises that strengthen all of the muscle groups in your body, not just the muscles/joints you use repetitively in your favorite activities, like drumming.  Repetitive motion will always (eventually) cause injury if you don't keep your body in balance physically.

BTW, I developed tennis elbow from drumming a few years ago, and a switch to a smaller diameter stick, coupled with some non-drumming strengthening exercises, did the trick.  Don't be reluctant to change and grow in your approach.

Michael Bettine

YOGA. You would be surprised at how many 'big name' drummers do Yoga. It's perfect to keep your muscles & joints both strong and flexible. It's kept me in the game, especially after various injuries.