• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Testicular Cancer

Started by physast, November 18, 2007, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

physast

Fellow drummers...  It has been awhile since I have stopped in.  I figure this topic should go here.  I was diagnosed with testicular cancer 3 months ago.  I have had surgery to remove the "bad nut" and so far it looks like I might be cured.

I want to spread some awareness on this topic because It is rare and not talked about much.  CHECK YOURSELF!!  Seriously right now....   Look for lumps, hardness anything out of the norm.  If you think you might find something that is not normal get it checked out.  TC has a 90% cure rate if diagnosed early.  Some of the first signs can be nipple soreness/breast tenderness (due to hormonal cancer cells and not from your girlfriend/wife pinching your nipples), heaviness in the abdomen/groan area and lumps hardness in the testicle.

Anyway just wanted to give this public service announcement..

C

Louis Russell

Thanks for having the courage to share this!  For some reason many men find it difficult to admit when they have a health problem.  If there were more men such as you in the world I am sure testicular and breast cancer in men would be diagnosed much earlier.  OK guys, now the ball is in your court so to speak.  It is time for an annual checkup or at least a self-exam. 

diddle

Good post, thank you!  Glad you are ok!

Joe

Quote from: Louis on November 19, 2007, 07:50 AM
...breast cancer in men...

I wanted to quote this for emphasis.  Famous sufferers include Shaft himself (Richard Roundtree) and Rod Roddy, the former announcer for the Price Is Right.

Would one be looking for any lump or hardness in the testicle itself, or elsewhere in the scrotum?  I seem to check out, but I get confused by the vas deferens and where it attaches, etc.

And I'm glad you're okay.

George

Many thanks for sharing this and calling our attention to taking care of ourselves; your message has really touched me.
The surgery must have been a suffer, but it's good that you're OK now.

Robyn

Glad you are doing okay! Joe, to answer your question, I think it would be similar to a woman doing a self-breast exam monthly (and guys, you should be doing your own exams monthly)--you get to know your body, where the various lumps are. Mostly, you want to look for change. So if you know your "normal," then a change will be glaringly obvious.
Also, another thing to note is that most testicular cancer is in men age 20-40--generally when men are not thinking about cancer.
Lance Armstrong is the one I think about as the poster boy for testicular CA. And his had spread--I think he was a Stage 3-4--not a good prognosis. And he beat the disease anyway! :)  And then he won the Tour de France again! :o  Go Lance!

robyn

physast

Quotelook for change.

This is how I noticed something happening.  I also had the breast tenderness and the nipple pains, but didn't think much of it.  I even had that checked out in the clinic, but they told me it was nothing....  2 months later I noticed a change in the right boy..  Not a good feeling.  Plus if the clinic would have known what to look for they could have caught it.  Goes to show not even doctors really know what symptoms to look for with TC.

Chip Donaho

My father ignored his irritating signs. Some of the doctors didn't listen to what he was complaining about. Four years later he died a painful death from prostrate cancer.   ::)   That was a very painful time in my life also. Don't ignore the least little thing. That was a hard lesson to learn. Four years I'll never forget. Working days, playing 5 nights a week, and sqeezing in what time you could to watch your dad go slowly downhill. Over 20 years later and it still haunts me.   :'(

smoggrocks

glad they spotted it in time. my former 'drum roadie' had it when he was rather young--i think 25 or so--and he got it removed and has had no problems since [which is saying a lot for a dude who didn't take great care of himself overall].

i think men are ridiculously bad about taking care of their health--or at least, getting regular check-ups and stuff. anyone catch that documentary on charles schulz, creator of the peanuts? he was terrified of getting cancer, so he refused to get check-ups. then he died of cancer.  ::)

good on ya for being proactive and smart. here's to a full recovery! [cue the 'clinking mugs' emoticon]

Joe

Quote from: smoggrocks on November 20, 2007, 04:55 PM
i think men are ridiculously bad about taking care of their health--or at least, getting regular check-ups and stuff. anyone catch that documentary on charles schulz, creator of the peanuts? he was terrified of getting cancer, so he refused to get check-ups. then he died of cancer.  ::)

Charles Schulz, as the documentary focused on, was a rare case.  As much respect as I have for the man, I don't think his example speaks for men at large, nor that women are better at this.  I'm not saying this isn't true; I'd just have to see some statistics to support this view.

Brett Tanner

Cheers Physast!

I'm a fellow TC survivor.  I celebrated my 5 year mark last March which was the date my treatment ended.  I had the offensive bugger removed 9/11/01.  It was non-seminoma and my situation called for surveillance due to slightly elevated tumour markers.  As it turned out it did spread a little and they put me through chemo.  Obviously, it worked!

Keep with your surveillance schedule and you'll be fine! 

physast

Congrats yourself Joe!

I also had non-seminoma.  My tumor markers were elevated also.  Not in the thousands but a few hundred.  I think my path was 10% embryonal 60% teratoma and the rest yolk sac.

My first CT scan came back clean so I am happy about that. 

Now if I could only start playing drums again!!!

NY Frank

Very excellent of you to share the story and the message.

I must admit the message is good to smack a person like - me.

I don't take care of myself nearly as well as I should, and while I'm at the doctor occasionally, I avoid certain exams like the plague.  I need to get over that.

Glad to hear all is now well.

Todd Norris

Glad to hear you're doing well! 

I recently had a revelation that I need to take better care of myself.  I recently hit the big 4-oh and decided I'd better get in for a physical.  It had been a good 4 years since I've seen a doctor.  I had the usual gamut of tests (still need to do the blood test though) but so far everything looks good!  I'll definitely be going in for a full scan at least every two years. 

Paicey

Thanks for sharing your story. Ive always been afraid of a check-up and the look of concern on the doctors face when he says the C word to me. Doctors honestly scare me not only because of a scary diagnosis but a scary MISdiagnosis. When im in the shower im constantly looking for any weird signs, lumps, odd pains, discoloration, etc etc. If i swallow! and feel something weird ill freak for a minute and realize it was probably a stuck sunflower seed or whatever. My mother passed from a brain tumor 4 years ago and since then ive been thinking, ok, im next, how, when, and where. Plain and simple, a doctor visit scares me.

physast

Doctors are scary, but well worth the visit.  And if Cancer is found you never take the first opinion so I would not be scared of a misdiagnoses.  I had three different doctors confirm my cancer and type and staging.

Paicey

Quote from: physast on November 23, 2007, 09:32 AM
Doctors are scary, but well worth the visit.  And if Cancer is found you never take the first opinion so I would not be scared of a misdiagnoses.  I had three different doctors confirm my cancer and type and staging.
physast, ive had dear close friends pass from cancer, my mother passed, a very close friend has A.L.S., ive been trying to condition myself to be ready should the day come sooner than expected to be face to face with God Almighty. Thats the thing physast, none of us here is EVER going to die. Were leaving here for sure someday but were going to stand in front of God himself. THAT concerns me as much as leaving this state of consciousness.

demmyC

There are many types of cancer today. One of them is the testicular cancer in which men are affected. We can overcome this disease if we have a regular check up. After this, proper medical treatment will be applied.