• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Bought my first practice drum set!!! So excited!!

Started by He Bie, February 13, 2017, 07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

He Bie

Hey all!
I bought my first drum set, and I'm ecstatic!  ;D ;D ;D

Actually, I had a Roland HD1 before, but didn't like that it didn't reflect a real drum feel. The mesh snare was very responsive, but I just didn't like most of the kit.

So I bought this set for $200:

Since it's a practice kit, I added a Zildjian quiet pack on it:

http://amzn.to/2kLbeYe

Additionally I purchased a set of drumsticks, tuning keys, and a boom stand for an extra cymbal.
Total price is just under $600; which is the same price of an electric drum kit, but with 100% the feel of a real drum set.

My only complaint would be that the mesh head is muffling the kick too much, and I wondered if there are these black dots that can be purchased to stick to the mesh, to partially muffle it?
If not, I'll use electrical tape on both ends, to reduce the muffling effect, or something.
The snare still sounds good (because the spring system is still connected to a plastic head on the bottom of the snare), and the cymbals sound clear but not harsh.

Any suggestions for improving the bass kick sound are greatly appreciated.
Obviously I can leave the stock skin in there, but it's too loud for the kit. I don't want to disturb the neighbors.
Thank you!

Bart Elliott

I am a bit confused in that you say the Kick drum is muffled too much, then you talk about making it louder. Which is it?

If the Kick is too loud with the factory head, deaden it. Tape isn't going to do much to dampen a large drum. If you need the drum louder, reduce the dampening.

There are a lot of past discussions here on the forum about dampening the Kick drum; do some searching for suggestions. Also, if you can clarify the route you plan to take with the Kick drum... I will try to give you a more specific response.

Christopher120

Congratulation!
Finding the right drum set is like falling in love, when its meant to be, you will know!

Lissa Hamilton