• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

North Drums - Refinishing Project

Started by John Sonefeld, February 03, 2018, 09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Sonefeld

Hello drummer friends,
I am preparing for a refinish project on my North Drums kit.

Having restored, repaired, etc. many a wood and acrylic set, I have never messed with fiberglass.  I guess I have consciously avoiding this, due to being terrible at bondo type car work, decades ago.

In the past, folks have recommended asking local boat shops, or small reputable body shops to do it.  I tried this, and have either been quickly told no, or quoted exorbitant prices.

I have mapped out a plan of turning it in to a "jellybean" color scheme, with black interiors.  The previous owner had already started applying some filler, and I am primarily looking at a sand and paint job.

Any advice of any kind in regard to this will be immensely appreciated!  I am curious about the ins-and-outs; beginning-to-final grit size, best sanding tips for getting to the in and out curves, proper priming, and good protective protection coat product, etc.

Thank you in advance for anything you can offer!
John

Bart Elliott

John, I have very little experience with this type of refinishing project, but I know there are those out there who have done a lot of this type of thing; we just have to connect you with them.

Whatever you end up doing, go slow and take your time.  :)

John Sonefeld

Thank you Bart, and for the welcome!
John