• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

adv. of trad Vs. matched grip

Started by abarlament, January 26, 2003, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanwatkinsuk

As posted before,  I was taught traditional snare and prefer it. I can play matched grip but I prefer trad but also, as posted before, it may simply be the way I was taught.  Also (and probably more importantly) I usually don't have a specific demand for matched grip on snare.

The funny thing is that when I started, I regarded snare rolls as THE most important thing to crack and the most difficult.

Forty years on I would say good rolls on the timpani are harder to play because you are not just considering actual technique: you are considering actual technique in relation to the SIZE of the drum.
A  good snare roll is based (dependent upon the choice of the player) on open, triple or multiple bounce.

Very Old Timpanists don't have those options. I actually regard timpani as far harder to play than snare (in my world, not as a general statement).........and if you have not learned the rudiments you won't play either.

But if you HAVE learned the rudiments, timpani is (also in my opinion) tougher than snare.  It is a completely different techinque because we have substantial resonance and snare drums do not.  That affects, for example, how you strike the head.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

Ratamatatt

Quote from: alanwatkinsuk on February 04, 2003, 05:54 PM
As posted before,  I was taught traditional snare and prefer it. I can play matched grip but I prefer trad but also, as posted before, it may simply be the way I was taught.  Also (and probably more importantly) I usually don't have a specific demand for matched grip on snare.

The funny thing is that when I started, I regarded snare rolls as THE most important thing to crack and the most difficult.

Forty years on I would say good rolls on the timpani are harder to play because you are not just considering actual technique: you are considering actual technique in relation to the SIZE of the drum.
A  good snare roll is based (dependent upon the choice of the player) on open, triple or multiple bounce.

Very Old Timpanists don't have those options. I actually regard timpani as far harder to play than snare (in my world, not as a general statement).........and if you have not learned the rudiments you won't play either.

But if you HAVE learned the rudiments, timpani is (also in my opinion) tougher than snare.  It is a completely different techinque because we have substantial resonance and snare drums do not.  That affects, for example, how you strike the head.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

When you asked if anyone knew of a tympanist who used traditional grip on tympany, I thought you were implying that if a traditional grip was better, why not use it on tympany.

That's why I asked what grip you used on snare, already knowing the answer.

Ratamatatt

teddyrocker

All this talk of "advanced marching drum gear".  Well, I wish I could say we've made progress.  I'm 19 years old, and I still play on a sling, because harnesses KILL my back (no, I don't have any back problems).  I'm afraid the old school, in this case has not been beaten by new technology.  Consequently, I play traditional grip on the drumset as well.  Really, so many pro drummers play either, that there really should be no debate over which is better.  Do which ever tickles your fancy!

Louis Russell

Ok Guys, I will admit it.  I watched an "I Love Lucy" rerun.  In my defense it was one where little Ricky was playing the drums.  This was not the first time I have watched this rerun but the first time I noticed he was using a reverse trad grip.  Has anyone else ever used this grip?  

Joe

Quote from: Louis on February 15, 2003, 07:28 AM
Ok Guys, I will admit it.  I watched an "I Love Luck" rerun.  In my defense it was one where little Ricky was playing the drums.  This was not the first time I have watched this rerun but the first time I noticed he was using a reverse trad grip.  Has anyone else ever used this grip?  

Heh, yeah, I remember that episode (assuming you meant 'Lucy' :P ).  Everyone was pointing the finger at everybody else, while little Ricky was just fine....

I wonder why he was using it; perhaps so he could reach the hat better?  Anyhow, I have seen Carter Beauford use such a grip in some still shots for his video "Under the Table and Drumming" (Now there's a weird picture....;D ).