• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Performance II Drumheads

Started by victor, October 23, 2003, 09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

victor

Dear Bart, First of all, its a Nice Feeling to have a TRUE Christian for an Administrator. My Question is, Bart I know its a Matter of Opinion, But do You think Performance 2 Drumheads are Good for Jazz and Fusion. Have You ever used these Heads. I was going to get Evans G2 Clears, but at this Point Im thinking of Switching. While reading up on Aqurians Performance 2s the Description Sounds like the Evans Hydros without the oil in Between the Head. Thanks, Victor.

Bart Elliott

While these drumheads can work in the genre you mentioned, there are other factors involved; drum shell make & sizes, tuning, venue, volume, etc., and the sound that you are going for! For me, it's not enough to make my drumhead selection based solely on the genre of the music.

The Evans G2 drumheads (clear or coated) are great drumheads. The Aquarian equivalent would be the Response 2 drumheads. These two ply heads snap with great attack and a full sound. They can be tuned tight or loose. The coated version has a "dry" and powerful sound on the snare drum and toms. I think the Performance II drumheads are going to be too "dark" for the sound you are probably wanting, as they are designed to be tuned loose. They are nothing like the Evans Hydraulic heads (aka cardboard boxes) however, which are much darker and dead sounding.

Check out the  http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/drumhead_tips/default.asp]Aquarian Comparison Chart  to read up on each drumhead's description and comparison to Remo and Evans.

I just played a DW kit (backline) with Evans G2 (coated) heads on the toms, and they sounded great. The Remo Ambassador (coated) that was on the kit's snare drum (batter) sounded good, but pulled out from the flesh hoop right in the middle of a performance. I was playing in front of 10,000+ people and the event was being recorded for TV. I am convinced that Remo drumheads are simply unrealiable, which is very important to me (and my pocket book).

victor

Bart, thanks again for your insight. I purchased the Evans G2 Clears, I haven't properly tuned them right, but they sound amazing. Could you give me some tuning tips for these heads; they are 10, 12, and 14 inch toms. Didn't have enough money to buy a 20 in EMAD bass drum batter head, but one day at a time. Also Bart, since I have the G2s, do you think I should stick with the EMAD, or go with the Super Kick by Aquarian? Will it make any difference; what would You do if You were Me? Thanks ever so much Bart, Victor.

Bart Elliott

As far as tuning tips, just go with the suggestions I've made in earlier Q&A as well as my articles on the topic ( http://www.drummercafe.com/education/5-minute-lessons/]5-Minute Lessons ). I don't know what I could add, in the form of written suggestions, other than what I've already stated.

The Evans G2 heads are really fine drumheads ... and can see why you are pleased with them!

I don't think you should feel like you need to stick with an Evans kick drumhead, just because you have Evans drumheads on your tom toms. Nothing wrong with the EMAD ... although I am partial to Aquarian (for obvious reasons). Go with what you think you'll like the best. The EMAD is cool because you can remove the muffling, thus creating some flexibility in the sound you want. I will say that I'm concerned about this muffling staying in place ... especially if you plan to do a lot of moving/replacing. The Aquarian Super Kick series is an incredible drumhead ... you might want to give it a try sometime. To my ears, the single ply, Super Kick I, is the most open sounding, with lots of low-end. If you want more of a round tone, then go with the Super Kick II which is the two-ply version.