• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

do they still make small sticks?

Started by funmachine, December 23, 2003, 06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funmachine

Can anyone recommend sticks smaller than 7A or Combo?  I like whatever Regal Tips are made of, think it's maple.  Combos are OK except they're 16" and feel a little unwieldy for what I'm trying to do--light accoustic jazz and folk.   I looked at the Vic Firth site and was confused by the new stick sizes, and couldn't seem to find a true Regal Tip site.

derekjryan

Pro-Mark has a couple of models that are a little smaller than a standard 7A. They have a 9A, an 11A, 718 Acid Jazz, they also have junior models...
As you can tell, I'm strictly a Pro-Mark user. I use the Oak 747 Neil Peart Sigs, and the Hickory 5AL Ringo Starr Sigs. Hope i could help.
http://www.promark-stix.com   They have a complete guide.

funmachine

Thanks.  I checked out their site but I could not find out anything on tip shape???  

Mark Schlipper

When you say smaller, do you mean diameter or length?

That aside, Vic Firths site has a pretty good system.  You find a stick you have and know, then can choose to search for a different tip (but similar length and diameter) or different length (but similar tip and diameter) etc ... very handy.

jokerjkny

you could always go with a timbale stick.  tip wise, they sound like a ball meets olive.  nice attack, but lay into it, and you get a fatter sound.

like 563 mentioned, the VF's especially they're American Jazz line are pretty thin.

also, try and find your sticks in "maple".  you'd be surprised at how much lighter they can be, despite being the same size as the larger hickory models.  and look thru the pile, you'll often find an obscenely light pair of maple sticks.  

funny enough, look towards the bottom of the pile on the rack.  i tend to find them to be the lightest.  i think its cause when the factory pours in the sticks they fall to the bottom, and when the salesmen restocks the shelves, those lighter ones get put onto the bottom of the rack.

ok, i think i thought too much about this...  ::) ;D