• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Do headphones temporarily alter your hearing?

Started by NY Frank, February 12, 2011, 05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

Strange and unclear Subject, I know.

After I log a practice session with my Vic Firth isolation cans on, it feels like when I take them off, my hearing, or perception of what I'm hearing, is altered for a few minutes.  With the cans off, the drums sound so excessively high end and disgusting.     If I go back a couple of hours later, it sounds "normal" again.

Is there any science to this, or am I just crazy?

Jeff Bankston

i have ben using headphones when practicing for 35+ years. yes they do seem to alter the sound a little after i take them off. i also started wearing earplugs along with the headphones right after i started using them. right now i use the -29db foam earplugs and a real old set of radio shack nova40 haedphones with the big ear cushions that cover the entire ear. my drums do have a lot of high end and are very very loud and punchy. the sound alteration only last a few minutes and i noticed it many many years ago.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: NY Frank on February 12, 2011, 05:03 PM
With the cans off, the drums sound so excessively high end and disgusting.   

Your ears have just become normalized to the sound of the drums inside the Vic Firth cans.
That's a good thing.
The excessive high-end and harshness is what the drums actually sound like in the room, and what would be damaging your ears were you not wearing the Vic Firths.

Lissa Hamilton

Hi NY Frank. Not sure of the answer to your question but I would definitely make sure not to play too loud. My kids keep telling me I play the music too loud in the car so all this drumming must be affecting me now  :)