Drummer Cafe Forum

LOUNGE => Gear / Equipment / Instruments => DIY / Building & Repair => Topic started by: dmhdrums on June 20, 2008, 10:08 AM

Title: Tips for drilling holes
Post by: dmhdrums on June 20, 2008, 10:08 AM
I have an older PDP kit [that sounds incredible btw] that has those giant round lugs. A couple of years ago I bought a Pulse 10" tom, and I now use this tom 100% of the time. The problem is that the lugs aren't the same as the rest of the kit. I have an extra set of Pacific lugs, but the holes in the shell don't match the new lugs.
I have looked around online and to get this professionally done will cost over $80, which is more than I want to pay, especially considering it is only for looks.

So is this a good idea to do this myself, or should i just wait and let a professional to do it? Also, if I do decide to do this myself, how do I do it, and what do I need to be careful of?
Title: Re: Tips for drilling holes
Post by: Todd Norris on June 21, 2008, 01:57 AM
Assuming the new lugs will cover the other holes then there's no reason you can't try it.  Use some blue painter's tape to cover the areas you need to measure and cut.  Measure where the new holes need to be.  Check-it.  Double check it.  Triple check it.  When all is good, the best drilling method is to place the shell on it's side and use wood blocks at the base to keep it steady.  Use a drill press and a level to make sure you're drilling is perpendicular and straight.  Hand drilling may work, but it's risky.  Tap a pilot hole first then use the regular bit.  Tape the bottom side and drill into a wood block placed flush with the inside of the shell.  Easy does it!  That should do the trick. 
Title: Re: Tips for drilling holes
Post by: dmhdrums on June 21, 2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks! I read around a little on here and found some other stuff online and decided to go ahead and at least try and I got it done! It took about 3 hours to re drill the holes for 12 lugs. And that's using one of the existing holes so about 15 mins per hole. As it turned out the holes were overlapping, and the old hole was on the outside of the lug. So, I plugged the old hole and put a little patch of black electrical tape to match the finish on the drum and it is flawless! I'm glad that I didn't wait any longer and I'm glad that I didn't pay to have it done! I may put some before and after pics up later.