• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Need Help! Premier drum set

Started by yoshikiwannabe, October 04, 2004, 12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoshikiwannabe

Hi everyone! As you can see, this is my first post here  ;D  And I'll most likely be posting here often since....I'm getting a drum set!

But the problem is this: Yamaha stage customs, Pearl Exp. and Tama RS's are a little outta my price range, so I went around lookin for a 2nd-hand drum set. I managed to find this guy who's selling his Premier drum set for 1200$ Cdn.

I went over and inspected the set, but I couldn't find what model/make it is! All I know, is that it's a black Premier drum set:

-5pc (snare, 2toms, bass, floor)
-sabian ride
-zildjian splash
-hihat (forgot what brand)
-throne

The guy said he got it about 4 years ago for about 2000 Cdn. Trouble is, I have absolutely no idea if it's really worth that much! I've asked a bunch of friends, and they too, don't have a clue about this Premier set that has no make/model. All the toms/snare/bass drums just have "premier" on it. So it's not a Premier Cabria, GenX, Artist...or anything like that. Just plain "Premier". Bought 4 years ago.

Does anyone have an idea of this drum set's worth? Thanx for any help!

Oh and btw, the set's in very good condition. Needs some serious tuning... but overall, in good shape.

irishthump

It could be an old Premier APK.
If the toms are power sizes, with one piece lugs, then that's probably the model.

Can you tell me anything more about the kit?

DC

Hi, I've owned a few premier kits so I might be able to help. My Genista has got no badges apart from 'Premier'. First, look at the thickness of the shells, the thinner they are the more expensive the kit. Then the finish, plastic wraps are used on the cheaper kits and better ones have lacquer and/or sparkle finishes. Then the lugs, if there are 8 on the the floor tom then it's probably a more expensive kit. Then the hi-hat stand, (apart from the Cabria, Premier sell their kits without hardware so the hihat might not be premier), the heavier it is the more expensive the kit. Then cases, if got decent cases then it's probably a decent kit.

I like the mid and top range Premier kits but the cheap ones aren't great. I would go for a second hand Export or maybe a new Mapex if I were you.

Anyway a cheap kit with good heads will always sound better than a quality kit with cheap heads.

DC

yoshikiwannabe

Thanks for the input guys! From what you two have said, I'm almost 90% sure it's either a Premier APK or Genista. (Looks similar to photos on the net!) However, I can't tell the difference between them  :-[

The hi-hat was definitely pretty heavy (in comparison to the Pearl forums I've played). And the shells on the toms, I'm pretty sure were quite thin, as I noted while I was inspecting the drums that they were quite portable. I'll defnitely check for the 8 lugs you mentioned next time I go over.

As for lacquer finishes or plastic wraps... I forgot! ;D

Irishthump: excuse my ignorance, but how do I know if the toms are power sizes? (does that mean big?  :P)

Is there a big difference b/w Premier APK and Premier Genista in terms of Value and quality? And if so, do you guys think paying 1200$ Cdn is good for either one of them?

irishthump

OK, this could get a little complicated.....
I was looking thru my old Premier catalogues to see what info I could gather.

There were two models in the old APK series, the APK and XPK.
The APK was similar in quality to the Pearl Export, and came in wrapped finish only, while the XPK came in lacquer finish. Both also had one-piece lugs and had the tom brackets attached directly to the shell.
Now, a later model of the XPK came out around the same time as the Cabria. This also came in lacquer finish, had power size toms but had split lugs and isolation mounts on the tom brackets.
As for the Genista, this one is easier to recognize, as it has distinctive, ROUND lugs . It also has suspension tom mounts as standard.
Here is a pic of the Genista -  http://www.islanddrum.com/photos/genister-bronze-small2.jpg]http://www.islanddrum.com/photos/genister-bronze-small2.jpg
Not great quality photo, but can just about make out the shape of the lugs.
The APK and XPX both have shells made from mahogany/poplar while the Genista is birch.
If you can somehow get a photo of the kit and post it here, I should be able to tell you exactly which model it is.

Hope that helps!!!

irishthump

Sorry, I posted the pic as a link!

Here it is -

yoshikiwannabe

Awesome!! Thanks a lot irishthump! The drum I saw is the exact same drum as the one in your pic! Exactly the same.

Judgin from what I've researched, the Premier Genista is definitely worth 1200 Cdn.

Thanks a bunch man!

irishthump

Glad to help, my friend!

Judging by the current exchange rates between Euro's and American dollars, I would have to say you are getting an excellent deal.

ENJOY!

ritarocks

Quote from: yoshikiwannabe on October 05, 2004, 06:37 PM
the Premier Genista is definitely worth 1200 Cdn.

I looooove my Genista---best sounding kit I've ever owned.

irishthump

Xena, you're a girl after my own heart!!! ;)

I've always loved Premier dums. My first kit, which I still own and use on a regular basis is
a Premier Olympic. It still sounds fantastic!

When I upgraded a coupl of years ago, my first choice would have been a Genista. I even prefer them to the Premier Signia. But due to lack of availability here in Ireland, I ended up buying Pearl.....

And yes, it still bothers me!