• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?

Started by Danno, January 15, 2005, 10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd42

Practice A LOT and begin SLOWLY is a great tip IMO.

irishthump

When you practice, practice what you CAN'T play!
When you play live, only play what you CAN play!

Tripsleft

Watch that melody, you don't want to step on it!

formula428

Quote from: irishthump on January 17, 2005, 05:06 AM
When you practice, practice what you CAN'T play!
When you play live, only play what you CAN play!

Isn't that the truth...

LuvmyLeedy

so many great tips in this thread. i think especially the "be relaxed" tip is really good, as is the "in practice what you can't play and play live (or when recording) what you can play".

my tip is: learn to be able to play with sticks very quietly, but still get a full big sound from the drums. in other words: quiet but not wimpy.

DaveGink

I play a lot of small town festivals and firework celebrations in hot, humid summer Wisconsin weather. Here are a few things I've found that help...

Never be ashamed to make yourself as comfortable as possible while playing.

Remember extra towels and t-shirts and other cloths, sweat bands, etc.

Use a fan or two. (I'm talking about the electric propellor-style wind making machine. Not a groupie. But that's up to you.)  ;)

Have a pair of drummers gloves with you on gigs even if you don't normally wear them. Especially if you play outside on a really humid day. (Where you're skin can get so sticky and wet you start tearing up your hands)

Drink plenty of water starting well before the gig. I also have a small cooler behind my kit with water and gatorade as well)

I've found that drugstores carry these tablets called "Leg Cramps" that seem to work pretty well if you suffer from cramping. You just disolve a couple under your tongue as needed.

Beer, coke, pot and pretty much every other drug is a definate no. - take it from somebody who used to do all of the above and screwed up a bunch of gigs in my crazy (stupid) days.

Don't get pissed at band members if they make a mistake or two, and don't get down on yourself if you do. learn from the mistakes. If it get's into your head it will multiply and get worse. Act professional and adult...shake it off and keep smiling.

Remember that if you do screw up, most people in the crowd won't even notice or even care if they do notice. They are there to have fun and an occassional slip up will not ruin their night. This is not an excuse for poor playing though. :)

Create a gig kit (tackle box) with extra tools, drum keys, aspirin, tums, power bars, wing nuts, felts, and other drum parts, ear plugs. band-aid's for blisters, etc. Being prepared is a great feeling when something goes wrong and you're equipped to deal with it. (this is all in addition to the normal stuff you'd take like extra heads, pedal, sticks, etc.

Most importantly, Have Fun!!!!

skeeter9000

I have found this to be a very effective tool for developing meter.  Use a drum machine for your metronome/click track.  Program in several measures of time follwed by several measures of silence.  See if you can come back in on the "1" after the measures of silence. When you get comfortable with a certain tempo, increase the length of the silence and/or change the tempo.  While metronomes are great,  they can become a crutch.  With this method, you really learn to own the groove.

amoacristo

I like your advice skeeter9000. I do similar things with my metronome. I either have a click every one or every other one to make sure there isn't a constant click to stay with. I don't always do that but I do it some. It helps my confidence as well.

ritarocks

First priority always should be keeping a solid beat, as opposed to focusing on fancy fills.  Fluctuation of tempo is a no-no, I don't care how great your licks are!!

Keep that hi hat going (2 and 4 or all 4s, etc.)

Try to play with as many different people as you can, as many different styles as you can.

Listen to different types of music.

Focus on dynamics and learn to bring it down and take it up.  (learn to play softly and slowly)

Learn to lock in with the bass player (as well as listen and watch the other musicians in the band) while you're playing.

Learn to play a small kit.

Try special things to help work on your weak hand, whether its playing open handed or switching things around.

Learn to accent the rides on the off beat <"ands">

Experiment with different set ups and kit arrangements, and find out what is most comfortable for you---this is a very personal thing.

Don't bang on the ride--guitarists hate that.

Remember ergonomics and proper technique and posture so you don't injure/strain yourself.

Carry around duct tape, extra wing nuts, etc.

Don't play with splintery sticks.  They'll tear up your hands and your drums.

Triplets rule!

Use a drum rug to help with sliding.

That's it for now. :)

James Walker

Many good suggestions have been given thus far.

The only thing I can think to add is:  learn a pitched instrument.  Could be bass, could be guitar, or vibes, or piano, or trumpet, or even harmonica - just something that deals with definite pitches.  Learn about melody, learn about chords, learn about aspects of music besides rhythm (as valuable as rhythm is).  It'll give you added perspective on what other musicians are doing, will help you to understand the music you're playing, and will help you to create and/or choose drum parts that fit the songs you play.  It'll also train your ears to better identify what the rest of the band is doing.

Even better:  If you can develop your skills well enough to perform on this new instrument (even if it's just jamming with friends), it'll give you added perspective on what drummers can contribute to a musical situation.  Hearing how a drummer can help - or hinder - your work "out front" can be a great learning experience.  ("So THAT'S what it's like to have the drummer overplay and step all over my solo!  That's horrible!")

I know that my drum set playing has been enhanced immeasurably by my experience playing jazz vibes and steel pans - and in turn, my drumming has influenced and informed my vibes and pan playing.

mediablamer

The best thing I ever did for myself as a drummer was to join the second jazz band as the pianist.

sptucker

What a great forum.  Great advice and suggestions so far.

A couple more tips -- One for the youngsters, and one for the not-so-youngsters:

1) Never assume that you are all that good, stay humble and stop being so serious.

2) Never stop learning, because you're still not all that good.

Smitch

Support the song
Play to the vocalist
Warm up on a pad for at least 20 minutes before the gig

Oops, that's more than one tip!

IncuDrummer

Quote from: Danno on January 17, 2005, 12:03 AM
So many good ideas - thanks. I'm mostly self-taught, i.e. I don't really know Jack about anything, so these kinds of suggestions really help me.
I'm with ya there buddy

Danno

Y'all are great - this is way more than I expected when I started this thread.

Thank you!

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Never sleep with the lead singer. Trust me on this.

sptucker

Quote from: shoeless on January 20, 2005, 08:37 AM
Never sleep with the lead singer. Trust me on this.

This post got me so tickled that I just cannot stop laughing.

Must be low on sleep.     Nah, it's just @$%# funny...    ;D

DRWM

Have fun!!!!

Drumming is supposed to be an uplifting experience, not a downer.

Not a very technical tip, but a tip none the less.  :)

oxford

a video camera is your best friend and worst critic -- you are probably not as talented and cool to watch as you think you are. ;)