• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Drum Sounds that you can't stand

Started by xdrummer2000, January 09, 2006, 01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Northrop

I guess for me the only sound I dislike is when a wood snare doesn't have any pop to it. I like a nice pop,there can still be ring,warmth,and tone....But I want that crack to scare people who are not expecting it. Aside from that I love all sounds,especially artificial ones that may give me room for much experimentation.

oxford

I hate those really cheapo cymbals -- they sound like you are hitting trash can lids or pie plates. Should be outlawed.
ox

johndurg

Lots of drummers use piccolo snares because they sound louder from where they are sitting, but in the audience it doesn't have any "beef" to it.  

smoggrocks

i guess i just don't like drum sounds that don't complement the other sounds of the kit, or don't work with the music. in general, i also dislike high-pitched snare drums, but it depends on the music.

the guy who practices in the room next to me is in a death metal band, and he cranks his snare drum up to high heaven. it sounds so wrong against the thuddy toms and his double kick [i can live with the pedal, but don't like what he does with it]. i can't help but think, if you're going for the big impact of metal, why would you want such a high-pitched snare sound?

i think overall i just like drums to sound earthy, ballsy and real. it also depends if you're talking performance, practice, or recording. you want different things for each scenario. i tend to like yamaha stage customs [or whatever the exact name] in recordings, coz they sound very consistent, but i don't always like playing them.

different strokes and all that. overall i pay more attention to the drummer than the sounds.

DWdrmr

Quote from: Louis on January 11, 2006, 08:08 AM
That is not even close to the sound made by a 24 inch bass drum rolling off the riser and across the stage.  

:o :o :o....how did THAT happen, Louis??

Tae

I hate when the snare sounds like a high pitched eagle flying into a thin metal wall. Like a chink* in a way

Robyn

"A punchy, low, warm bass is for me."

Me too! I really like the sound of the bass on Dire Straits' "Skateaway"--real fat and wet-sounding to me!

I don't much like overplaying. Esp. overplayed fills. Right now I've been puttering around w/ stuff from B52's. The drum parts, esp. the fills are simple and work w/ the songs, rather than the drum being overwhelming. Much of the stuff I hear today is just simply loud. Maybe that's how the "musicians" cover up their lack of ability.

btw, can anyone tell me what genre the B52's fit into? I'm stumped. ;D

robyn

Louis Russell

Quote from: DWdrmr on January 11, 2006, 05:40 PM
....how did THAT happen, Louis??

It is really not that hard to do.  Start with a large riser, a lot larger than normal and take the bass out of the case and place it on the front edge of the riser.  Since it is a large riser you are on the riser with the other cases and turn around to unpack another drum.  Next, bump the bass drum with your butt.  Now, it is a simple matter of watching the drum roll off the riser.  You can now listen to that sickening sound of a bass drum falling two feet to a hard surface.  You now stand there wide-eyed and watch the bass player race the drum across the stage.  Fortunately the bass player won this race and caught the drum just before it rolled off the stage onto the floor.  Next it is a simple matter of sitting on the edge of the riser and cry for the next 10 minutes or so.  Nothing to it, with a little practice and experience anyone could do it.  

TheBeachBoy

The sound of a Guitar Center drum kit.  Any one of them.  They can take any set and make it sound like total garbage.  It must be part of their training, because they don't really know anything else.

Also, the sound of a cymbal cracking in half onstage.  Never happened to me, but I dread to hear that sound (my cymbals are all in good condition, no cracks, so I'm safe, I hope  ;))

Also, the sound of a guitarist hitting my cymbal with the neck of his guitar--why???

Dave Heim

Quote from: TheBeachBoy on January 12, 2006, 07:04 PM

Also, the sound of a guitarist hitting my cymbal with the neck of his guitar--why???

Yeah, I think guitarists and bassists dislike that sound, too.  It sometimes means a nick in the neck.

Robyn

Ohhh...sorry Louis, but I was laughing...

robyn

Louis Russell

Quote from: robyn on January 12, 2006, 09:47 PM
but I was laughing...

The guy who played the B3 was laughing too and asked "when you were on TV didn't you have two partners?"  

gammalight6000

Quote from: johndurg on January 11, 2006, 03:29 PM
Lots of drummers use piccolo snares because they sound louder from where they are sitting, but in the audience it doesn't have any "beef" to it.  
man you should hear mine then, @$%# thing sounds like a shot gun.

Ranman

The last reaction I have gotten is..."loud, sounds nice"...in that order.

felix

I don't like most popcorn/small/piccolo/soprano snares BUT:

I heard a 6x12 sonor hilite snare and actually played it awhile at a north cost sonor lovers get together a couple of weeks ago.

Amazing hip hop drum, blew away my 7x12 custom.  The little sonor had a wonderfully clear for maple tone with a youthful but powerful /sonorous voice!  It's for sale also, but I CANNOT buy anymore drums.  NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

TheBeachBoy

Quote from: DaveFromChicago on January 12, 2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I think guitarists and bassists dislike that sound, too.  It sometimes means a nick in the neck.

One of our old lead guitarists used to do it at least once every show.  I think it would harm the guitar more than my cymbal.  He would hit it with just a glancing blow that was actually probaly softer than when I hit with sticks.

DaveTheDrummer

I can't stand cowbells.
Hate the bloody things !
Donk donk donk.
Yeah what a great noise.
Cowbells belong on Swiss mountainsides attached to the necks of cattle.

Dave Heim

Quote from: DaveTheDrummer on January 14, 2006, 02:23 PM
I can't stand cowbells.
Hate the bloody things !
Donk donk donk.
Yeah what a great noise.

Dems fightin' words for some people around here!   :o

Oh, and I have one that I liberated late one night from a cow in Switzerland!

xdrummer2000

Quote from: TamaDrummer on January 11, 2006, 02:29 PM
I hate a snare with a good crack, but no body at all.  Some ring is good, but not too much.  Same thing the other way around.  A HUGE snare sound, but no cut at all, like hitting a cardboard box.  Clicky bass drums kill me (ala most speed or death metal).  A punchy, low, warm bass is for me.

I was listening to Dream Theater's "Images and Words" cd, and I can't stand the snare sound they used.  Sounded like a synthesized snare. I couldn't bring myself to picture that sound coming from a real, acoustic drum.  Just hated it.  

I don't know if this has been said already or not, but that snare drum was triggered. Read it on Mike's website or get Mike Portnoy's Anthology Volume 1. He says it on the intro to Metropolis Part 1 (my favorite DT song ever). He even said it bothered him terribly. It was Dave Prater (the producer on that album) who insisted it. I didn't like it either.

Listen to "Awake" and "A Change of Seasons". I think the awake snare was triggered, but the ACOS wasn't. I think they may have been the same snare as well. Mike used Mapex drums on those two albums as well. My snare sounds kind of like the ACOS snare. I just wish I had one of them Tama G-Maple 13-ply snares. I'd love to hear that meaty, poppy crack that everyone talks about. I just wish I had $400 lying around in my house.

Also, to whoever said they don't like Metallica, I am with you there. I only like 3 of their albums (Ride the Lightning, And Justice For All, and Master of Puppets). Those albums are the only ones I hear anything impressive as far as drums go. And I'm talking about Lars' playing. I can't stand his drums. The snare is too fat and low, the bass is either too quiet or clicky, and the toms are dead as a dog. But hey, they're better than St. Anger's drums. YUCKO!!!

lilblakdak

Quote from: DaveTheDrummer on January 14, 2006, 02:23 PM
I can't stand cowbells.
Hate the bloody things !
Donk donk donk.
Yeah what a great noise.
More cowbell!
[stream=320,45]http://www.subterrane.com/walken/gottahavemorecowbell.mp3[/stream]