Topic: Musical Observations from Super Bowl XL  (Read 5235 times)

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
Musical Observations from Super Bowl XL
« on: February 05, 2006, 06:51 PM »
It was great to see Stevie Wonder performing!  But I found the stage full of dancers pretty distracting.  There were times when they looked at though they were swatting away bees and fire ants.

Nice cocktail kit in the background during Aaron Neville & Aretha Franklin's performance of the National Anthem!
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

Offline KevinD

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
    • My Space/bigwedge.com
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 09:41 PM »

Nice cocktail kit in the background during Aaron Neville & Aretha Franklin's performance of the National Anthem!

I got into the TV room a bit late and just caught a quick glimpse but I think that was Steve Jordan.
"If it weren't for Thomas Edison we'd all be watching TV in the dark." - Attributed to various people over the years.

http://www.myspace.com/bigwedge

Offline Christopher

• Cafe VIP
  • That's MR. Colaiuta to you...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 10:35 PM »

I caught that too. Couldn't tell what kind, maybe a Slingy, Yammy? Sounded good whatever it was.

I wasn't impressed by the Stones. The mix was rotten. Too much of Keith's guitar, no bass. Charlie's kit sound ok though.

Also, they didn't sound all that tight to me, playing wise. Could have been bad monitors I guess (giving them the benifit of the doubt).

Liked the giant stage that was shaped like their lips logo. That was cool.
"What one man can do, another can do."
-Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkin's character from the 1997 movie, The Edge)

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:43 PM »
I caught that too. Couldn't tell what kind, maybe a Slingy, Yammy? Sounded good whatever it was.

I wasn't impressed by the Stones. The mix was rotten. Too much of Keith's guitar, no bass. Charlie's kit sound ok though.

Also, they didn't sound all that tight to me, playing wise. Could have been bad monitors I guess (giving them the benifit of the doubt).

Liked the giant stage that was shaped like their lips logo. That was cool.

Yeah, I thought the mix was lousy, too.  Pretty rough around the edges.  Charlie didn't have enough camera time.

I keep trying to like Joss Stone, but it isn't happening.  
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Offline Christopher

• Cafe VIP
  • That's MR. Colaiuta to you...
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 10:53 PM »
I keep trying to like Joss Stone, but it isn't happening.  

Ha! I know what you mean. She's trying way too hard to pull off the whole R and B thing. She comes off phony, at least to me.

She's one pretty lady though...  :o

(not that I was looking or anything  ;) )

I thought it was hot that she was barefoot too.  ;D
"What one man can do, another can do."
-Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkin's character from the 1997 movie, The Edge)

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Ha! I know what you mean. She's trying way too hard to pull off the whole R and B thing. She comes off phony, at least to me.

She's one pretty lady though...  :o

(not that I was looking or anything  ;) )

I thought it was hot that she was barefoot too.  ;D

Maybe that's it.  Looks like she's trying to fill the Janis niche, with the scrunched up face and raspy vocals.  But, to me she only ends up looking constipated.  :)   I'm sure I'm in the minority.  I wish her well.

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 07:38 AM »
That WAS Steve Jordan playing his Steve Jordan Yamaha Cocktail kit.

Urethra and Aaron Neville sing the Anthem were UNLISTENABLE to me.

The Stones mix was horrible at first.  It got better.  They weren't so great IMHO, but then again they don't have to be (though it would have been nice).

felix

Re:Musical Observations from Super Bowl XL
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 08:00 AM »
I thought the Stones stole the show and sounded GREAT.  Yeah it wasn't a studio mix but so what- live it kicked total ass.  Best halftime show I've ever seen for a "stupor" bowl.  I thought all the Stones played fabulous.  Keith Richards could crap on a paper plate and it could go platinum.  Charlie's groove was beyond compare.  Ron Woods was great, they got his sound dialed in pretty quick after the first few bars of the "Start Me Up" lead.  Mick sounded great.

We loved it.  Total rock-n-roll.  

Jeez, you guys are tough.

Offline KevinD

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
    • My Space/bigwedge.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 08:08 AM »
I found somewhat interesting that it seemed that the camera work deliberately tried to avoid showing Darryl Jones on bass. (other than when they did their bow at the end)  I wonder if that was a Stones decision or the Technical Director just didn't feel it was important to show him since he wasn't a core member.

Still in all he has quite an impressive resume'.

"If it weren't for Thomas Edison we'd all be watching TV in the dark." - Attributed to various people over the years.

http://www.myspace.com/bigwedge

felix

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 08:08 AM »
I also love Charlie Watt's big ol' paiste rude as his main crash cymbal. I mean that's just too cool for school.  

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 08:31 AM »

Jeez, you guys are tough.

Nah - just bitter.  I was rooting for Seattle.  :)

Offline JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 08:43 AM »
I found somewhat interesting that it seemed that the camera work deliberately tried to avoid showing Darryl Jones on bass.
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Offline drumz1

• Cafe VIP
  • Trust me, I'm a drummer.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 08:49 AM »
That WAS Steve Jordan playing his Steve Jordan Yamaha Cocktail kit.

The Stones mix was horrible at first.  It got better.  They weren't so great IMHO, but then again they don't have to be (though it would have been nice).

I thought Aretha was in great form (vocally, that is), but Aaron sounded like he had drank his Metamucil and it had just "kicked in", if you get my drift.

I must admit to not being a great admirer of his voice, it never did a thing for me.  But hey, he's Aaron Neville, and who am I - yep, I'm just a sideman, so my opinion of his voice may be in the minority.

As Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry, "A man's gotta know his limitations".

:-)

Regards,
drumz1
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Offline Paul DAngelo

• Cafe VIP
  • Greybeard
    • Paul D'Angelo
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Jeez, I thought Aretha was great.  Aaron Neville IS New Orleans and I do believe that's why he and Dr. John were both performing.  His voice doesn't particularly lend itself to the Star Spangled Banner.

Anyway, Charlie actually did a FILL during one of the songs.  

Would have been kinda cool to have more MoTown artists represented being they were in Detroit.
When you're going through Hell, keep going.  (Winston Churchill)

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:26 AM »

Yeah, I agree.  I like both artists a lot.  But I guess I'm a purist when it comes to the National Anthem.  Just sing it - it doesn't need a lot of vocal embellishment.  The more a vocalist takes liberties with it, the less I like it.

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 10:48 AM »
mmmm. what's the super bowl? ;D

i know it's un-american of me, but i can never watch a full game. it took me a while just to get around to baseball. i enjoy a LIVE game [in person], but whenever i hear the roar of a sports crowd on tv, it automatically tires me, like a pavlovian dog. just my auto-response.

i spent the hours learning how to file guitar frets and do a proper set-up.

but i'm glad pittsburgh won!

[er, they did win, no?]
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 10:54 AM »
Yeah, I agree.  I like both artists a lot.  But I guess I'm a purist when it comes to the National Anthem.  Just sing it - it doesn't need a lot of vocal embellishment.  The more a vocalist takes liberties with it, the less I like it.

Any song that has melisma added to it in an attempt to improve it is a poor move, IMHO (with exceptions here and there).  I daresay if you tried that sort of thing with The Anacreontic Society, you be made to buy a few rounds at the majority's leisure.

That said, calling her "Urethra" is unfair.  Her catalogue is a rudiment of popular music.
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 11:15 AM »
That said, calling her "Urethra" is unfair.  Her catalogue is a rudiment of popular music.

take a pill.

It was a joke.  And I don't care her style of music much.

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 11:16 AM »
take a pill.

It was a joke.  And I don't care her style of music much.

Notice I didn't type "OMG WTH were ya thinking! Aretha is the roxxord!!!!onetwo!1".  And, I don't like everything she does, either.

Here, I'll break it in half. ;)
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Offline JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 12:08 PM »
Urethra
Oh wow, I just noticed that (prior to reading Joe's response).  Sorry, I had to chuckle a little, even though I do like some of her work.  Urethra and Super Bowl in the same topic kind of puts a different spin on things.  Too bad the Browns weren't in this game.  Oh the possibilities!  ;D

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram