• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

What things that guitar players do, really bugs you?

Started by scottboundy, March 27, 2006, 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlimChance

Yeah, Dittos all around on the pedal-board tap dance (AGOGOBIL- nice).  Gimme a break.  Play the frickin' song.  I've got a guy who changes between a Strat and a Tele, depending on what song is coming up.  That's nice, waiting for him to swap guitars in the middle of a set, repeatedly.  Dude!  Its a single coil Fender guitar- Make it work!!

Here's my original observation- I hate guitar players who won't sing.  Meanwhile, I'm back there on the kit, chiming in on every song.  Its a lot easier playing guitar and singing than playing drums and singing.  (I play guitar, and sing, so I know from whence I speak.)

A lot of drummers may be flakes, but without us, the guitar players would be even more useless.

Slim

Aja

Telling you how to do fills by saying random drum sound effects and then acting annoyed when you don't understand.

Dave Heim

Quote from: SlimChance on March 28, 2006, 08:10 PM

Here's my original observation- I hate guitar players who won't sing.  

In their defense... not all of them can!  I've worked with a couple who think they can.  Not pretty.

Anotherdrummer

During practice, when they jump into a song without clicking it off or letting me click it off. Then if I dont come in immediatley they think I made a mistake.  >:(

JamesC

I agree with the one mentioned above.

Where the guitar player starts a song at a certain tempo, then a few bars in they cut and say it's too slow, giving you a dirty look.

Yeah, maybe we should just start the song at your tempo then slowly accelerate over 4 bars to the tempo we normally play it at...

Mark Schlipper

You guys were waiting for me to chime in I hope  ;)

To address a couple things from the standpoint of a guitarist ...

Too many effects is the same as too many drums/cymbals.   Its about getting the sound you want.   Even if that sound is thick mushy wash.    If you play with a snare alone, I'll play with a guitar and amp.    Just because you can't hear the difference between them, doesnt mean its not there.

Replacing individual pedal effects with a multieffect unit isn't a 1:1 trade off.    Does every snare sound exactly the same?   Neither does every distortion box or delay.   The Line6 Pod sounds NOTHING like any of my pedals.   Again, just because you cant hear it ...

Tuning between songs should be appreciated.   Granted, the silent inline tuner is the best way, but still.   Better in tune than out.  

QuoteIf you break a string every set, get heavier strings.

Thats actually just bad advice.   If you break sticks, get heavier sticks.   ?    No.  Thats not how it works.    

Many of the things you mentioned are the domain of dumba$$es, not guitarists.   Just keep in mind when you post here that the same thread could very easily exist on guitarist forums with just as much legitimacy.  

all the love in the world  ;D
-m

agogobil

Quote from: 563 on March 28, 2006, 09:39 PM
... Does every snare sound exactly the same?   Neither does every distortion box or delay.   The Line6 Pod sounds NOTHING like any of my pedals.   Again, just because you cant hear it ...

You are correct.

I'm bringing 10 of my snare drums to the next gig.  I will change them out depending on the song.

Thank you.  I needed the validation.

;)

lilblakdak

I hate it when my guitar player doesnt do his squats and gets a flabby butt. I mean Im stuck back there looking at it all nite the least they could do is make it a nice one, :)

Eskil Sæter

Replacing individual pedal effects with a multieffect unit isn't a 1:1 trade off.    Does every snare sound exactly the same?   Neither does every distortion box or delay.   The Line6 Pod sounds NOTHING like any of my pedals.   Again, just because you cant hear it ...

While this is a good point, it does not necessarily hold true in a live context. In the studio, definitely use the best equipment possible. However, on an average stage, you'll be lucky if the audience can even hear a chorus effect, much less determine if it's a good or bad one). I'm not saying that guitarists should not bring anything to gigs, but that constant tweaking might just be a larger annoyance than it's worth.

Few drummers bring more than one or two main snares to a gig, and rarely do I ever see a drummer replace cymbals between songs. It's not a 1:1 comparison, seeing as a drummer can use everything on a kit in a single song, while a guitarist can not (normally and easily) play more than one guitar.

As a former guitarist, I know what you mean perfectly, but I reckon that unless you have different tunings or vastly different sounds available on different guitars, one will generally be enough, with a possible second one as a backup (tuning a floyd rose equipped guitar on stage is a nightmare).

Anyway, in closing: I have no problem with a guitarist (or anyone else) bringing in enough gear to play Wembley Stadium, as long as it doesn't require five minutes of tweaking between songs. Set it up properly at home and be ready for the gig/rehearsal

Joe

Quote from: agogobil on March 28, 2006, 10:24 PM
You are correct.

I'm bringing 10 of my snare drums to the next gig.  I will change them out depending on the song.

Thank you.  I needed the validation.

;)

Consider the scenario of having two snare drums set up at all times, and varying the dampening, snare tension, and maybe even the tuning between songs.  It's quite feasible, and perhaps more in line with the point.

James Walker

Quote from: agogobil on March 28, 2006, 10:24 PMI'm bringing 10 of my snare drums to the next gig.  I will change them out depending on the song.

Didn't Steve Jordan say, in his recent Modern Drummer interview, that he did this very thing while touring with James Taylor?  I think it was some ridiculous (I mean, "impressive") number like ten snare drums.

"My hero..."  LOL

scottboundy

i always bring extra cowbells too...maybe 5 or 6-- you have to have the right one for the correct song. :D

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Quote from: DRWM on March 28, 2006, 12:44 PM
What gets me is when they blame every timing issue on the drummer.  I get so sick of all heads turning my way when the bass player is rushing or dragging.  

Or, if the guitar player counts off his guitar intro 10 bpm too slow and it's my fault the tune is not fast enough?!?! Sheesh, I can only play the tune as fast or slow as you start it, buddy.  :(

Or also whenever there is a volume issue they automatically attribute it to the drummer. "Dude, can't you just play with brushes?"

Dave Heim

You guys were waiting for me to chime in I hope  ;)

To address a couple things from the standpoint of a guitarist ...

Geeeez!   Took ya long enough!  :)

All in good fun, sir!

DougB

Quote from: shoeless on March 29, 2006, 06:16 AM
Or also whenever there is a volume issue they automatically attribute it to the drummer. "Dude, can't you just play with brushes?"

I was just told to do this at practice last night.....   :(

Louis Russell

Quote from: shoeless on March 29, 2006, 06:16 AM"Dude, can't you just play with brushes?"

OK, am I the only one who keeps a pair of 2" paint brushes in their hardware case for these occasions?  Jeez, you guys are missing a lot of fun by not having paint brushes handy when the guitar player ask for you to use brushes.

Donald Mcnany (boomerweps)

Quote from: Jon E on March 28, 2006, 01:20 PM
How about the ever-popular--

Trying out new gear for the first time ON STAGE!!

I ALMOST edited my post to include that one but my current guitarist isn't that foolish. But this problem exists in all aspects of sound & music, PA gear, keyboard patches/simulations, throw a China in that you just HAVE to play, ect.

boomerweps

Christopher

Quote from: DaveFromChicago on March 28, 2006, 06:52 PM
What the guitar player hears:

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are. That's funny right there. ...

Big Yummy

QuoteIf you break sticks, get heavier sticks?

Yes.  If I'm going to play aggressively in a loud band, I'll use heavier sticks.  If I try to use light maple sticks (my favourite), I won't get through the first tune without breaking a stick.

Extra slinky strings may be the bee's knees when you're at home copping BB King licks, but if you step on stage to bash out a Sex Pistols cover, with feeling, and every single time you break a string within the first minute of playing, it's time for some beefier strings.

QuoteToo many effects is the same as too many drums/cymbals.  Its about getting the sound you want.  Even if that sound is thick mushy wash.

A few points.  First, the effects are fine if a guitarist knows how to use them.  Most don't.  Second, if the effects are sucking the life out of the guitar sound, a bigger amp may be required to maintain the same presence.  Third, if a thick mushy wash is the desired sound, play apppropriately.  

Listen to Nirvanah.  When Cobain's guitar turns to mush, the playing is simplified and there's a strong rhythmic pulse.  When he wants to play something more intricate, he cleans up the sound.  What's the point of playing like Yngive Malmstein if you've got the guitar sound of The Jesus & Mary Chain?

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: TMe on March 29, 2006, 09:26 AM
Yes.  If I'm going to play aggressively in a loud band, I'll use heavier sticks.  If I try to use light maple sticks (my favourite), I won't get through the first tune without breaking a stick.

Extra slinky strings may be the bee's knees when you're at home copping BB King licks, but if you step on stage to bash out a Sex Pistols cover, with feeling, and every single time you break a string within the first minute of playing, it's time for some beefier strings.

My point was that its not all in the strings.   I play Firth AJ5 sticks.  The skinniest non-timbale sticks you can get.  And I beat the hell out of my kit sometimes.  Full on monkey on crack stylee.   And I've yet to break one.  

I broke strings on one guitar frequently.   I play 12's.   Some of the heaviest you can get.   I swapped out the saddles on my bridge from the stock steel to graphite.   Haven't broke one since.  

Quote from: TMe on March 29, 2006, 09:26 AMA few points.  First, the effects are fine if a guitarist knows how to use them.  Most don't.  

see my comment about dumba$$es in the previous post.  

Quote from: Naigewron on March 28, 2006, 11:50 PMI have no problem with a guitarist (or anyone else) bringing in enough gear to play Wembley Stadium, as long as it doesn't require five minutes of tweaking between songs. Set it up properly at home and be ready for the gig/rehearsal

I agree 100%.   But don't equate a bunch of pedals with between song tweaking.   Honestly, sounds like those guitarists don't have enough pedals.   The guitarist in the band I play drums in has three (maybe four) identical delay pedals.   Each one is set to a different sound.   So he doesn't have to tweak between songs.

You want to talk about tweaking between songs?  Talk to Redchapterjubilee!   Freakin' drummers   ;)  

I understand this is all just venting frustrations from players you've dealt with.   I'm not trying to be a big party pooper.   But I hate to see "mistruths" circulate and generalisations become concrete.

You should treat every new person you play with with the respect and appreciation you think you deserve.    If you find out down the road they're dumba$$es, deal with it then.