• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Recording

Started by Funkadrummer, April 21, 2004, 07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Whitten

Boring? It's just a figure of speech.
When you are involved in artistic processes (as we all are) you just want to go the extra mile sometimes. Who knows what whims and spur of the moment decisions drive us sometimes?
I could quite happily buy a few 421's, on the other hand I could take a look at what else is out there.
I guess after I heard the km56's it was hard to contemplate the 421's again.  ::)

dizz

I have yet to have been able to dial in the sound I have been looking for with my 57.  This past weekend I recorded some experimental tracks and used an extra C418 on the snare -just to see.  I didnt A/B the mics, yet can still tell the 418 is giving me alot more punch, which helps my playstyle I think.  I dont punish my drums.  

I should try a fresh new 57 since mine is about 12 years old before I go and say, "I dont like 57's on snare".  Maybe both the 57 and the 418 will give me what Im looking for.

I will say that Im in love with my D12 on the floortom.   I dont have the kind of cashflow to really experiment with exotics.  I envy those who can!  

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: dizz on April 27, 2004, 04:19 PMI should try a fresh new 57 since mine is about 12 years old before I go and say, "I dont like 57's on snare".  

The low end frequency response has increased on 57's in the last while.  They used to bottom out at about 70-80, now its closer to 50.   But that low end range isnt real prevelant in snares.  So while they are a bit different, they still have the same flavor.    

Id try something else.  Not because Im not a 57 fan, but because you arent.   Maybe the new Audix I5?   Or an old AKG D1000 (I got mine for $50 each).   They are built on the same principle, but sound different.  

bonejoy

Anyway, Funkadrummer....Have you got any idea what you're gonna do with your $1300?  If anything, you should be an expert on studio mics now!!

Chris Whitten

Funkadrummer

heh, nah not yet. Im still looking and such and my band has some practicing to do before we do anything.