• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Who are your favorite metal drummers

Started by incdrummer, May 05, 2004, 01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritarocks

Quote from: 563 on May 05, 2004, 02:39 PM
Paul Bostaph -Slayer

absolutely awesome---loooove the new slayer dvd!!

ADNdrumNUT

not metal, hardcore stuff here guys, check out the drummer from DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN
hes amazing!serious you gotta listen

theironcobra

In no particular order, and without getting into the definitions of the various versions of "metal" that may or may not include certain drummers from this list.  Personally, my heart belongs to metal.  And actually, this really is a compilation of my personal favorite mashers of skins.

Danny Carey - Tool
Eric Carr - Kiss
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Tommy Aldridge - Ozzy, Whitesnake, Nugent
Lars Ulrich - Metallica
John Bonham - Zep
Vinnie Paul - Pantera
Carmine Appice - Blue Murder, Pearl, Nugent, etc
Vinny Appice - Dio
Randy Castillo - Ozzy, Crue
Alex Van Halen  =vh=
Blas Elias - Slaughter
Jon Dette - Slayer, Testament
Tym Helton - Hallows Eve

Hands down, all time fave and inspiration:
Bobby Jarzombek - Riot , Halford

ChinaCymbal

My major favorites are, Vinnie Paul, John Bonham, Danny Carey, Mike Portnoy.

samto

mike portnoy, is an awsome drummer. look on his site and watch his videos he is mega fast.  and he has an awsome kit.

Tony

Although I'm not much of a metal fan, I really like Vinnie Paul, the new Damage Plan stuff is really good.  I'm more old school, like Nicko McBrain, Lars, and I really like Danny Carey a lot.

ritarocks

i'd like to add Charlie Benante from ANTHRAX

Dead Trooper

incdrummer

I forgot to mention another fav the guy from saliva i forget his name.....crosby or something

Scott

Many of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I'd like to contribute anyway :)  These are metal drummers who have influenced me over the years and/or are also drummers whose playing I dig (I started playing in the mid-80s, if you can't tell :)):

- Vinnie Paul
- Tommy Lee (the original "groove" metal drummer.  Influenced by Curtis "Cowbell" Jones)
- Mike Portnoy
- Steven Adler (also heavily influenced by Curtis "Cowbell" Jones)
- Randy Castillo
- Deen Castronovo (I really enjoyed what he did on the first Hardline album.  lol)
- Mike Bordin (from the old Faith No More stuff)

I don't listen to a lot of modern metal because I don't really like the sound of it much.  That said, I'm not much of a Limp Bizkit or Tool fan, but I like John Otto and Danny Carey's playing.  I even like David Silveria's playing--reminds me of what Mike Bordin did in the late 80s with Faith No More.      

I also agree with the vote for Charlie Benante.   :)

incdrummer

Is castronovo now with journey???

Dead Trooper

Quote from: incdrummer on May 14, 2004, 10:09 AM
Is castronovo now with journey???

I believe so. I saw a tape of a recent show (with the new singer) and he was playing. Awesome player.

ritarocks

EternalXos

Finally, a topic on this board in which I can actually participate fully! haha!

My personal favorite drummers in metal are Jan "Hellhammer" Axel Von Blomberg who drums for Mayhem, Arcturus, Winds, Thorns, and the Kovenant. He manages to fit whatever the genre requires and push it to its limits. Check out Mayhem or Thorns for blazing speed or Arcturus for something unlike you've ever heard.

Asgeir Mickelson of Spiral Architect, Borknagar, Vintersorg, and Lunaris is probably the best drummer in metal and contributed to one of my favorite albums, "A Sceptic's Universe"  by Spiral Architect. It's complex to a point that is beyond comprehension and highly recommended to any fans of metal, experimental music, and extremely technical drumming. http://www.spiralarchitect.com/clips/spiralarc_movingspirit.ra
http://www.spiralarchitect.com/clips/spiralarc_insect.ra

Gene Hoglan of Death is a mandatory mention on this list. Death's "Individual Thought Patterns" and "Symbolic" are two of my favorites. Sean Reinert drummed on "Human" and is probably better than Hoglan, even if that isn't the best Death album. Richard Christy's work on "The Sound of Perseverance" is another absolute favorite of mine.

Kevin Talley of Misery Index shouldn't be overlooked, either. He recorded a few albums for Dying Fetus as well (his final, "Destroy the Opposition" was his high point in that band and arguably their best album on the whole) but what he did for Misery Index was far better. "Overthrow EP" is a shining light in the modern grind/metal scene. (He's extremely young, too, which gives me hope that you don't have to be old to be good.)

John Longstreth recorded two CDs with Origin that have to be heard to believe. Deathgrind at a blinding speed.

Finally, Brann Dailor of Mastodon (formerly Today is the Day) has a technique that is out of this world. He basically solos over the music with a style that strikes me as being very very jazzy. Listen to anything by Mastodon or anything off of Today is the Day's CD "In the Eyes of God." The song "Who is the Black Angel" is my favorite off of that one.

felix

Ken Mary and Glen Sobel are no slouches either.

And how could you guys forget Bobby Rock????  Is he a metal drummer or more of a fusion player.

We wore out our Manowar tapes and LP's in school. "FATHAAAA"  blast from the past.

Les Binks and Simon Phillips on the old Judas Priest stuff.  Kickin stuff.

Barrimore Barlow- Yngwie Malmsteen

Mickey Dee- MotorHead, King Diamond

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: EternalXos on May 14, 2004, 01:22 PM
Finally, a topic on this board in which I can actually participate fully! haha!
So, are you into metal  ;)

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: felix on May 14, 2004, 01:50 PM
I had no idea that Barlow played with Yngwie Malmsteen.

Learn something new every day.

incdrummer

me neither but cozy did play with him

Dead Trooper

Quote from: felix on May 14, 2004, 01:50 PM
Ken Mary and Glen Sobel are no slouches either.

And how could you guys forget Bobby Rock????  Is he a metal drummer or more of a fusion player.

We wore out our Manowar tapes and LP's in school. "FATHAAAA"  blast from the past.

Les Binks and Simon Phillips on the old Judas Priest stuff.  Kickin stuff.

Mickey Dee- MotorHead, King Diamond

Agreed on Priest drummers.

Mikkey Dee absolutely kills. I can't believe the volume his ride cymbal gets on Motorhead's Live in Hamburg.

Barlow played with Tull right? Around Aqualung I believe?

I really enjoyed Manowar's first drummer. Scott Columbus is decent but not in the league of the first guy. That guy actually reminds me of Priest's drumming a LOT. Manowar kills but the whole True Metal shtick os growing old on me a bit.

Louis Russell

I am not a total metal head but Charlie from ANTHRAX would be on the top of my list.