Topic: Stupid Question  (Read 6237 times)

felix

Re:Stupid Question
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2002, 09:02 AM »
I think I was one of the "first" to jump on the fusion kit size craze.  I bought a dw kit in 1989 that had a 18x20 kick, 4x14 snare 8, 10, 12 and 14 or 15 suspended (I can't remember now).  I remember where ever I gigged people couldn't believe how small my kit was....and unmic'd the thing sucked.

It's hype IMHO.  Just like the "fast" tom size.  I played more rock on that dw kit than I do with my standard size kits now.

I play jazz all the time on my 16"x16" floor...in fact I think it's a lot better than a 14" hanging because I have been known to change the pitch while playing on that thing.  So I prefer floor toms.

One of the best drummers I ever knew told me along time ago that a great drummer can make a small set sound like a large set.  He's right in a bunch of ways;

-still a kick butt player on a 7 piece can really go a long way.  I also prefer a 22"...if I'm in a restaraunt that calls for a 20" or smaller, well I'm not happy.  Have to find another gig pronto.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram