Topic: Stupid Question  (Read 6369 times)

felix

Re:Stupid Question
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2002, 09:02 AM »
I think I was one of the "first" to jump on the fusion kit size craze.  I bought a dw kit in 1989 that had a 18x20 kick, 4x14 snare 8, 10, 12 and 14 or 15 suspended (I can't remember now).  I remember where ever I gigged people couldn't believe how small my kit was....and unmic'd the thing sucked.

It's hype IMHO.  Just like the "fast" tom size.  I played more rock on that dw kit than I do with my standard size kits now.

I play jazz all the time on my 16"x16" floor...in fact I think it's a lot better than a 14" hanging because I have been known to change the pitch while playing on that thing.  So I prefer floor toms.

One of the best drummers I ever knew told me along time ago that a great drummer can make a small set sound like a large set.  He's right in a bunch of ways;

-still a kick butt player on a 7 piece can really go a long way.  I also prefer a 22"...if I'm in a restaraunt that calls for a 20" or smaller, well I'm not happy.  Have to find another gig pronto.

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram