Topic: brake drums  (Read 2777 times)

Dark Drummer

brake drums
« on: August 12, 2002, 10:25 PM »
aight i dont know if this question has been posted so if it has i apologize

what is the best way to mount a brake drum on ur set??  i was thinking of using an old snare stand but im not sure where i would put it so if u guys and gals have any suggestions

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re:brake drums
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 10:29 PM »
I think a snare stand is as good as anything ... IF ... it works for you.

I've seen and played them suspended, laid flat on a table, etc. Don't know that I've ever used a snare stand ... but hey, why not.

I'd experiment and find the method that get's the best sound for what you want and need ... as well as making it easy for you to play the instrument. I guess it also matters how artistic you want to appear. You could come up with some bizarre mountings I'm sure.

BlackEvovii

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 10:36 PM »
Bart is like a good brand of toilet paper that is used by one person...just never seems to end(with knowledge)

and thats a good thing, unless the toilet paper has particles on it, other than dust or lint. :)

accusonic

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 02:46 PM »
I've used snare stands for these things. Make sure it's a heavy duty stand (with a wide tripod if possible), because the setup will be VERY top heavy due to the weight of the brake drum.

They ring better if they're suspended but you'll need to come up with a way to keep it (them) from spinning or swinging around wildly if you go that route.

Another possibility is a table. This makes them sound a bit drier.

For drumset use, they sound really cool (some, including my wife would say excruciatingly annoying) when used in conjunction with ribbon crashers. Wear ear protection!

Offline timmin

• Cafe VIP
  • The Timminator
    • Tim McCain
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2002, 02:59 PM »
At the risk of sounding stupid, I have to ask.

Are you guys talking about a "brake drum" off of an automobile?

I have searched the net and that is the only brake drum I could find.
Timmin

"It's always fun until someone gets an eye put out"
~Mama~

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2002, 04:37 PM »
At the risk of sounding stupid, I have to ask.

Are you guys talking about a "brake drum" off of an automobile?

I have searched the net and that is the only brake drum I could find.

YES

Offline Sean Welch

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2002, 04:39 PM »
Wow, a brake drum...  I used to be a tech at a mazda  dealership and would beat on them now and then.  Never really thought they would be used in an actual drum set!

Now, I have zero experience with 'regular' drums but considerable experience with *brake* drums.

I see it mentioned that they sound cool suspended - you might want to try suspending them in the same manner as they're mounted on a brake lathe, where you'll get a really good ring, really bell-like.  This works really well with Explorer drums - big bell area, thinner metal.  I can almost hear it now.  Boy I miss working in a shop  :'(  So rather than hanging them by, say, a wheel stud hole, you suspend it by something through the center hole, like a cone shaped something.  Something like this:

/ \
____/     \ _____
|     /       \      |
     /          \

Where the cone is what the drum is mounted on.  Sorry, my textual representations suck but you probably get the idea.

This might not work so well with a wooden cone of course.  Not that I know where you can get a metal one  ;D

Anyways, just my .02.  And I think I'll have to add a 'drum' to my drum kit now, even if just for nostalgia's sake.

<edit: wow the text picture looks even worse now than in the preview.  sorry 'bout that!>
Be like your ancestors or be different. It doesn't matter.

MVanDoren1

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2002, 07:45 AM »
Now I don't know about the rest of you out there but i tend to like my brake drums securely fastened nice and tight to the axle of my car.  
If you are using these on your drumsets, etc. well... more power to ya, but doesn't it get quite tiring day in ad day out replacing those things back on your cars?? ;D

Autist

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2002, 01:09 PM »
I don't have anything to say in what way you can place a breakdrum in youre kit.
I just wanted to say that one of the greatest things about drumming is: the sky is the limit. Where a piano has just got a certain number of octaves you and youre got can go as far as you want and can make up, just wanted to say this, and keep on doing the creative things

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram