Topic: I've a question about Blood, Sweat and Tears' self-titled album  (Read 844 times)

Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
At around 1:25 of this track, there follows a rather haunting and threnodic piece—for the uninitiated, it seems to consist solely of a brass quintet and percussion.

Does anyone know if Satie wrote this part, or if this is an interpretation by BS&T themselves?  Perhaps it's another piece tacked on?  Also, is there a reason for its rather mournful ambiance?

Larry Lawless

• Cafe VIP
  • Become a Cafe VIP member NOW!!!
    • Lawless Percussion & Jazz Ensemble
I've a question about Blood, Sweat and Tears' self-titled album
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 11:15 PM »
The original Satie piece this is based on (Trois Gymnopedies) is for solo piano, so I believe the brass stuff is BS&T's own addition. It's been a long time since I've listened to this, so it's hard for me to remember exactly how the brass parts go.

It's funny that you should use the term "ambiance" in describing this piece - Satie's music is sometimes lumped into a category labeled by Brian Eno "Ambient Music".

Vintage Ludwig

• Cafe VIP
Re:I've a question about Blood, Sweat and Tears' self-titled album
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 12:06 AM »
Have no idea of the answer to your question but had to say what a great album that was.  I remember it on the radio when I was a kid.  Some great music for sure-

Adam's Dad

• Cafe VIP
  • '71 Ludwig Micro-Bop
I've a question about Blood, Sweat and Tears' self-titled album
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 09:59 AM »
The music to which you refer is definately BS&T stuff.

(As I derail this thread) This album was a strong early influence in my playing.  Bobby Colomby combined the genres of rock, blues and jazz into a wonderful groove.  I also believe he produced the album.

Adam's Dad

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram