Topic: Keith Moon Video  (Read 14956 times)

Offline Nubert Thump

• Cafe VIP
  • Splashes?...We don't need no stinkin' splashes!
Keith Moon Video
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2004, 06:50 AM »
were comparing apples to oranges here......truth be told that they were very good friends.  As it was, Moonie told Bonham that his band would go down like a lead balloon......and thats how Zep got their name-

Just to clear this up a little here is a quote from the book 'John Bonham--A Thunder of Drums' by Chris Welch and Goeff Nicholls.

It explains how after the Yarbirds broke up Jimmy Page had a manager(Peter Grant) a bass player (JP Jones) and a plan to form a powerful rock band. At that time the Who hadn't released Tommy yet and their future as a band was questionable. Here is the quote(pg 72):
When the Who got wind of the plan, Keith Moon said they would go down "like a lead balloon." John Entwistle added it would be "more like a lead Zeppelin."  When page was casting about for aname, he chose Entwistle's phrase. Peter Grant changed the spelling to "Led" to avoid any confusion about the pronunciation.

So in fact it was Entwistle who coined the name Led Zeppelin not Moon, though his 'lead balloon' was clearly the inspiration for Entwistle's comment. Page had not yet brought Plant or Bonham in the group yet.
Nubert Thump
==Have Sticks, Will Travel(but not too far!)==

Just heard GMS CL Dums--wow they sounded great!

percussionmonkey1

Keith Moon Video
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2004, 08:13 PM »
That was show biz, not dissin' drums.

I was fortunate enough as a young teen to work as an equipment roadie type for them one night. It was their 1st tour of the states, 1966 (7?), and they were on a tight budget. Believe me, the road mngr. was very aware of where each piece of busted gear was on the stage before the lights went down.

As soon as they left the stage, he and his guys would gather up all the broken hardware. It was part of his job to piece back together the gear for the next show. They carried quite a lot of 2nd hand replacement parts and an impressive toolbox.

At the end of "My Generation" Townsend had broken a Gibson 335. He held on to the neck, but the body went into the audience. I watched as the chaos ended and saw an audience member run up close to the stage and grab that guitar body off the floor. He started running toward the exit and road mngr. Bobby said "I'll be right back". He chased that guy through the crowd, followed him out the door and was back in about 2 minutes with the goods. What a job he had...

The story goes - Pete was in a rather pissy mood one night early on. They were doing a show in some crappy club and he decided to vent...while on stage. After he had taken out his frustrations on his gear, the crowd went wild. Tried it again at another show, same reaction. Sounds like a formula for at least some moderate success... got to pay the bills. These guys were struggling musicians, who can blame them?

My point is: I wouldn't dismiss these guys as no talent bums that had no respect for their craft. They recorded some of the best rock ever. Whatever your opinion of loonie moonie and crew, the music still stands strong.

That is, How you put it "dissin." drums. No one in their right mind would go around destroying gear. And that seemed to be something Keith was quiet good at. Like I said before, some of his drumming was very good but some of it was really not. and blowing up your drumset doesn't exactly show very much skill. I'm just saying he could've been alot better if he hadn't gone around beating up his drums, and doing the crazy things he did.

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
Keith Moon Video
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2004, 02:33 AM »
blowing up your drumset doesn't exactly show very much skill.  

No, but I don't think you are taking into account what was going on in culture at the time.
Keith was undoubtedly an important drummer in the evolution of rock drumming.
He was also a rebel.
He wrote the book on the rock n roll lifestyle, a lifestyle I can't relate to but countless other musicians have copied.

Offline Gregg Rivers

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm still around!
    • The Rock 92.3 House Band
Keith Moon Video
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2004, 10:12 AM »
I always thought Keith "over played" on most of the Who's music. So having said that, you should be able to tell I'm not a Keith Moon fan. I think that "solo" if you want to call it that would be yet another example of why I'm STILL not. That's what my "solos" sound like! Which is why I don't do solos! ;)
I don't solo!

JDrummys

Re:Keith Moon Video
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2004, 02:20 PM »
I can't think of any other drummer other than Moon who essentially soloed throughout the verses of songs and still made the songs sound good (in fact, it can be argued that's a big part of what MADE them sound good!)...It took a boring drummer like Kenny Jones to help me see the contrast and how Moon's playing made the songs more interesting.

percussionmonkey1

Keith Moon Video
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2004, 11:35 AM »
No, but I don't think you are taking into account what was going on in culture at the time.
Keith was undoubtedly an important drummer in the evolution of rock drumming.
He was also a rebel.
He wrote the book on the rock n roll lifestyle, a lifestyle I can't relate to but countless other musicians have copied.

good point I can understand what you're saying

Offline Ian

• Cafe VIP
  • I really love the Drummer Cafe!
    • Drum Stuff
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2004, 01:32 PM »
I saw this in my local paper about a week ago. It may interest some of you:

http://charmed.slayuk.com/ian/keith-moon-snare.jpg

Thorne

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2004, 01:53 PM »
Very interesting artical..   Who do i complain to about the crick in my neck that i got trying to read it..  

I wonder if the drums were worth anything. He said that he gave them away.. I wish there was more info about the drum..What was the brand?

Thankyou for sharing.

Offline Ian

• Cafe VIP
  • I really love the Drummer Cafe!
    • Drum Stuff
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2004, 02:12 PM »
Yeh, sorry about the orientation. I don't have any software installed right now to fix that.

It says it's Gretsch, custom made for Keith. I wish they'd given more info (and photos) too, but this is only a small local paper which is renowned for not being very good. And I suppose most members of the public wouldn't be interested in any more detail.

Next time I go to my local drum shop I'll ask the manager if he knows anything else about it (he's the other guy in the photo).

marker

Keith Moon Video
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2004, 05:12 PM »
Marker (revealing his age) actually saw that on tv, the first time.

Yep, it was a lousy solo.  Keith was proabably blitzed.

Also, if you stop and look, you'll realize there are no real drum solos on Who records.  I think that what Keith was really good at was interacting with the Who.  For him, a solo would be pointless.

JDrummys

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2004, 10:03 AM »
You can tell he was ripped, just from the way he was slurring his words at the end...however, the crowd still went crrazy after that crappy solo- just goes to show- when you're famous, you can practically do anything and still be loved.

gr82bagn

Keith Moon Video
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2004, 08:15 AM »
I agree, Moon the Loon personified that era of Rock & Roll. His approach was emotional as well as technical and the fans felt that honesty. Keith was also an extremist and more often than not his extreme habits did not coincide with his extreme talent. None the less Moon is missed. :)

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram