• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Famous drumkits...

Started by yz125racr10, August 20, 2004, 10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yz125racr10

Just curious, I know a guy who has a pretty close, but not exact duplicate of Carter Beauford's  set.  Just wondering if anyone else has done the same kind of thing.

Mark Schlipper

Normally if someone asked if I did something, and I admittedly never did/do that something, I'd keep my trap shut.   But I think because I conciously and intentionally DONT do this, I believe that counts as experience in the subject.

The only time I ever see this as a reasonable pursuit is if you are in a tribute band that is making an effort to bring the stars of the past to life.  

Other than that, its pretty pointless.   I setup for me and my needs.  Both ergonomic and sonic.   To do anything else would negatively impact my playing and sound.   And that strikes me as a bad thing.  

I may get ideas from other setups, but thats as far as it goes.  The meat of the matter is mine alone.

Chris Whitten

Agreed.
I guess I shouldn't criticise what is obviously a fun aspect of drumming as a hobby, but when large amounts of money is being spent to replicate some of these guy's huge kits, I think it's an ill advised pursuit.
Don't know about Beauford, but I tended to change my kit set up every day when recording. I also changed set up for every tour to take into account different material that was being performed and just out of boredom and to keep my playing fresh.
To build a clone of another drummers' kit would be just a snapshot in time. So IMO a pretty pointless exercise.

Joe

While I agree wholeheartedly with the above posts, I think it is only fair to mention that Messrs. Starr (nee Starkey) and Bonham most likely win the prizes for "Most Inspirations Upon Their Kit".  Not that it's a particularly good idea to enable their showing, mind.

So, yes, others do this sort of thing on a grand scale.

Dead Trooper

Tribute bands that do this look cool. It's not necessary, but it's cool nonetheless.

In any other case, I agree with the above. Though people's kits have definitely inspired me and have even influenced my mindset when playing.

Chris Whitten

'Inspiration' is another matter.
I see no harm in emulating a favourite drummer - who uses two bass drums, five toms and an unusual cymbal set up - by configuring your kit in the same way.
Some people have to get it down to the same colour, sizes, exact cymbals etc.....
Then it gets expensive and a bit silly IMHO.

yz125racr10

Chrisso seems to have the same point of view as me.  I think his set is pretty cool, and by the way it is not an exact duplicate, not a recording custom, but his tom and cymbal set-up is very similar.  And for anyone that has never seen Carter's set, maybe it would change your opinion.  And it seems to work well for him too because he's a "left-side-rider"

William Leslie

The only time I duplicated another persons set up was when I bought my first kit, which was second hand. Of course it was the very same as the guy before me.(could be funny). How ever I really would not  go out and buy a new kit in order to duplicate someone elses kit. I think it would be a waste of money, since I don't have the same playing style and abilities as the other drummer. I have my own needs to consider and I'm quit sure that other drummer wouldn't duplicate my kit for his personal whats and needs.  We're all different in one way or another. Be yourself and you'll be alot better person and Drummer for it.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: yz125racr10 on August 21, 2004, 03:39 PM
And for anyone that has never seen Carter's set, maybe it would change your opinion.  

Why?

BTW, I think CB's using a couple of custom built Dunnett drums. That's going to set you back quite a few dollars to replicate!

incdrummer

But if you want to replicate the sound of a drummer you liked  then its best to buy their equipment, i don't copy anyone but if i really liked a drummers sound i'd buy his stuff if i wanted to replicate it.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: incdrummer on August 22, 2004, 03:59 PM
But if you want to replicate the sound of a drummer you liked  then its best to buy their equipment
But most of that sound is coming from the way they set up the kit (tuning etc...) and from the technique they use to play the kit.
It's all in the player (as they say).

mc01

I think it's great to admire different drummers kits.  I know I've picked-up ideas from several of my favorite drummer.  I don't understand the point of imitating another drummers kit piece-by-piece, though.  No doubt they would be flattered, but you never have the chance to become......you!

dogarrette

One question: Who was it that played the kit with 12" and 13" toms mounted on a 22" bass with a 16" floor tom?

I have seen so many dummers (and drum manufacturers) copying this setup that I have to think whoever did it originally was pretty darn famous. But who is it that so many people are copying? Or "being inspired by"?

Andrew

Quote from: dogarrette on August 24, 2004, 08:24 AMOne question: Who was it that played the kit with 12" and 13" toms mounted on a 22" bass with a 16" floor tom?

I have seen so many dummers (and drum manufacturers) copying this setup that I have to think whoever did it originally was pretty darn famous. But who is it that so many people are copying? Or "being inspired by"?

That was me. They're all copying me.  :P

For a while I copied Bernard Purdie's tom setup, with the 13" on the left and the 12" on the right, but only because his reason for setting up that way made such solid musical sense to me - he realized that his 13" was his favorite tom on the kit and the one that he went to most frequently, so he put it in the most accessible location. I eventually just dropped the 12".

Bob Pettit

I've got a modern 4 piece Ludwig 'Fab Four' in black oyster pearl.

I use a different cymbal setup than Ringo, different pedals than he did, and I don't think my playing sounds anything like him. But the kit looks cool and like it a lot for it's simplicity and classic design.

Rarely, I'll get a comment from someone who recognizes it as a Ringo kit.