Topic: Is anyone else as anal as me?  (Read 4191 times)

AndyDierker

Is anyone else as anal as me?
« on: August 14, 2002, 02:22 AM »
Like most of you, I'm sure, I spend just about all my free time drooling over pictures and reading over specs of the drums/hardware/cymbals that I will SOME DAY have enough money to buy. And now that I've started to get some money together, I'm starting to write my lists and figuring out prices of exactly what I want.

Doing this, I realized how incredibly anal I am about this stuff. For instance, if I use pearl hardware, I have to use ALL pearl hardware. Like, I can't be mixing and matching manufacturers. I don't know why. It just BUGS me. The same goes for drums... I couldn't play a Tama snare with Yamaha drums. Aiiee. The thought...!

Tell me I'm not alone or I'm going to end up spending my drum money on a shrink!!  ;)

felix

Re:Is anyone else as anal as me?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2002, 05:14 AM »
I'm not that anal...life is way too short.

Generally I like my shells to match, typically my cymbals do- but not always.

It is more of an asthetic thing than a tonal one for me.

Ok ciao

Skinbasher

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 06:51 AM »
No, i'm not that bad. I have a complete mixture of cymbal makes, all on different makes of stands. With cymbals i tend to go for the sound i like. I have a mixture of Sabian, Zildgian and Istanbul. I have a Yamaha kit, but i use a Mapex single pedal and i have a World Max 10" Brass snare as my second snare. Again, these are for either better comfort or the sound i was looking for to compliment the rest of my kit.

BAnimalG

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2002, 07:01 AM »
Andy, I'm in the boat next to you.  My pedals, including hi-hat, are Tama Iron Cobras.  My hardware is all Gibraltar (except for my snare stand, DW).  My drumkit is CB700 Internationale and my snare is Pearl (CB700 Internationale is a 1985 take-off of the Pearl Export).  My cymbals are all Zildjians.  The only things I have that are not ALL the same brand are my mics.  My vocal and my tom mics are all Audio-Technica, but my Kick and snare are Shure Betas.  Not quite as anal as you, but I'm not far behind!   ;)

MVanDoren1

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 07:36 AM »
I have a mix of stuff like many others.  My bass and toms are Yamaha but pearl snare, kick pedal, boom stand, I got other stands of various types and mostly mixed cymbals.  Now I dream of the day I can do what you are doing now- I gotta get the extra dough first though.  But when I do I'm wondering if I'll want a kit all of one brand or not.  Currently I'm drooling over the new Yamaha Oak Customs I've mentioned before- but I don't like the hardware- I'd much prefer Pearl.  My problem is that I'm almost certain I can spend less money buying a whole intact kit rather than buying drums of one type, stands, tce, of another type.  Sooooo
do I one day sacrifice what I alone consider quailty for lower cost (albeit on hardware that should stand up just as well) or do I spend the extra on what I know I'll definatly be satisfied with?.   Thats where I'm at, perhaps a good psyche eval at the hospital I work at is in order as well- I wonder if insurance will pick that up... :D

Offline Dave Sharma

• Cafe VIP
  • i love space echo
    • Dave Sharma
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2002, 09:37 AM »
everything I own is a mutt--hell, I've got cymbal stands that are tama/pearl/gibraltar combos!

I see it this way:  no one company makes the full complement of things I need.  so I'm forced to mix and match.

and until X cymbal company and Y drum company come knockin' saying "Dave we want to design all the things you need for free", I'm more than happy playing my pearl/yamaha/tama/gibraltar/sonor/sabian/zildjian/paiste/saluda/wuhan/rhythmtech kit.  sounds good to me!

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2002, 09:59 AM »
id like to be as uptight as you about that sorta thing, but like terekete, its just not practical for me.  dagnabit.
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

AndyDierker

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2002, 04:51 PM »
Oh, I'm not even as uptight as I'd like to be. I've got a bastard-child mutt kit like the rest of you. It just makes my skin crawl when I see the Yamaha stand next to the Tama stand.... and I have no idea why.

BlackEvovii

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2002, 06:51 PM »
I get what you're saying. Im the same way, but i dont consider it anal.  Snare, it really doesn't matter though and i do have one paiste cymbal and the rest sabians.  I like everything to be the same, unless its  not needed(aka snare drum)

Mezermorial

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2002, 06:52 PM »
Ah Ha Ha Ha.....you said anal.

BlackEvovii

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2002, 08:20 PM »
!!!!!!!!!!!

Stefanos

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2002, 04:37 AM »
You don't have to visit a shrink. All you (and I) have to do is to stop paying so much attention to the Drum! and Modern Drummer interviews and advertisments. Sure, if someone asks you to describe your kit, it would be cool to answer sth like "Pearl drums and hardware, Sabian cymbals" but all the drummers in the magazines have deals with drum, cymbal and hardware companies, so it's really not a choice for them. Couple of things: I like all my CYMBALS to be from the same manufacturer (even from the same series) just because that ensures a good sound relationship between them. But, when it comes to hardware, for example, the Roc n soc thrones are better than the thrones Mapex offers, while perhaps mapex pedals are better than gibraltar's. So why not mix things from different companies? I'm so glad you brought up the subject, I thought I was the one who needid a shrink!   :D I'd like to hear if others also think that this "problem" occurs due to the famous drummers using stuff from 2-3 companies, just because they have endorsements.

AdemT

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2002, 09:26 AM »
I used to care about matching up all my equipment with the same brand.
For example, I used to have a Red Export kit, with pearl pedals and all pearl hardware, and I had all sabian cymbals. I got over it and now I am using a mixture of many different things

I am using a mixture of Sonor and Mapex hardware. a Mapex double kick. I have a Zildjian ride which i "borrowed" from a school drum kit many years ago (it sounds @$%# good, been worked in well)
At the moment all my crash and splash cymbals are UFIPS, but are a mixture of different series. and my Hi hat is a sabian which I am not very happy with, I have heard Zildjian cymbals that come in packs for beginers that sound better than it, so I am gonna get one LOL.

I only buy what sounds good now, I will only worry about getting all one brand if i am endorsed (which i dont see happening) so f*%k it, why send all your money to one manufacturer when you can support them all and get what YOU want.

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2002, 10:28 AM »
I have three kits set up at home most of the time.  I have a Yamaha DTXV2 electronic kit, a Tama 6 piece Star Calssic Maple with ALL MATCHING hardware and then in the liviing room I have a kit that rotates between an old Gretsch shells or old ludwig shells with a hodgepodge of hardware.  I dont think there are two pieces of hardware made by the same company in this kit.  Back in my younger days it was part of a master plan to get a big time endorsement.  That way I could say "I have ALWAYS used XXXXXX hardware in my kit. I had all the manufacturers covered.  That was the plan but as Einstein once said. "every man has a plan that will not work.   Oh, the mismatch kit gets the most playing.
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

AndyDierker

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2002, 02:30 PM »
Haha Louis, that's a pretty interesting technique for getting an endorsement! But, I wouldn't put too much faith in it - all those times the drummers rave about how they've always played so-and-so, I just assume they're lying. Heh.

Nomad442

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2002, 11:53 PM »
I play a Classic Ludwig kit with gibraltar stands and a DW kick pedal.  Simply because Ludwig hardware sucks.  I still love their drums.

Carn

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2002, 09:47 AM »
Well, my drums/hardware are Tama......and I want my cymbals to be Zildjian.....but thats more because Zildjian just makes the cymbals I like!

for the rest....im not in a position to have multiple snares, but i dont really care what kind of snare i got.....as long as i like it. Brady prefered :D

I do have some Pearl cymbal stands, but hey, they are decent, they deserve that ;)

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram