• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Programming question.

Started by Stratorius, August 14, 2002, 11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratorius

Hi,

First time posting. I play guitar and was hoping to get some help regarding percussion/drums for compositional purposes. I am considering a programable rig that has some decent sounds. I have heard how some people have written with Acid Pro 3 and their stuff is ok. I don't have the luxury of calling on somone everytime i get something going. Do any of you guys program as well?

Thanks for any help

Stratorius

Mark Schlipper

i do.  check out an artist named "duman" at mp3.com  thats me, my computer, and a program called buzz.

acid is a pretty cool program but it relies on having premade loops.  fruity loops is a great way to go.  it can use synth drum sounds or you can use samples.  its loop based when your working on a song, but you build your loops in the program out of single stroke samples, much better, more flexable, more room for originality.   you can find single drum stroke samples online all over the place.  rebirth is a lot like fruity loops, but a bit clumsier, and inflexable as far as im concerned.  i dont recommend buzz because of the learning curve and archaic interface.  i started ages ago and it was the s**t back then :)

learning the software is the easy bit, coming up with creative parts is where it gets tricky :)

good luck and feel free to private message me if youd like.

sidereal

You should take a serious look at the AdrenaLinn. I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling, but if you're a guitar player and you're into all that stuff you mentioned, it's worth a look. It's made by the guy who invented the venerable Linn drum. My guitarist uses it and it's sah-WEEET!

Maybe do a Google search.

Bart Elliott

I also track live drum and percussion loops in my studio.

If you are having problems coming up with what you want from sample or loop CDs ... let me create a unique, custom loop for you.

I offer these services over the Internet,  http://baeproductions.com]BAE Productions , but the website has a long way to go; demos, samples, free downloads, etc.

Stratorius

I really do appreciate your help on this. I'm going to try and come up with some intelligent (as best I can) questions and run them by you guys. I didn't want to let your responses go for to long unanswered.

This project is for sound clips for my companys web site.

Thank you again.

Rick

Stratorius

Again, thanks for the helpful suggestions. And to those who have offered custom loops, I will email you.

Also, it is interesting that Linn Drums, including the AdrenaLinn machine has come up. A competitor of the Linn back in the early to mid 80's was the Oberheim DMX. I still have mine and just recently made an attempt at programming some stuff with it and well, it ain't happening. Not compared to the quality sounds being made lately. I will check out the AdrenaLinn.

Rick