• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Bigger and Better

Started by yz125racr10, September 03, 2004, 09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yz125racr10

I spend a lot of time on the internet and often, on forums.  Compared to this one, many are much bigger with many different boards for differend subjects, so I have an idea to make the cafe bigger and better.  Much of my motivation in drumming and others' seems to come a lot from famous drummers obviously.  Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have individual boards for discussions for a few of the most famous drummers?  I think it would be cool to talk about these guys in depth as far as technical aspects of their playing and stuff like that or even just general stuff.  I have had many in-depth discussions with other guys about famous drummers, in person so I think this is a good idea.  I think it would be a great addition to the cafe.  

incdrummer

There are other forums you can do that on, i don't really like the idea of having famous drummers boards, not having them makes this forum different and thats what i like about it.
Thats just my personal view. :)

DanMarg83

I have to agree with incdrummer.  not to mention the fact that you can just start individual threads on whatever topics you want to talk about *granted you so a search beforehand  :P*

Chris Whitten

Another one for the band wagon........
I don't think the Cafe needs to be any bigger.
Having said that, I tire of the endless (well that's how it seems to me) Portnoy, Bonham, Peart worship threads  :-\ (Mr Grumpy Grouch), so if there was a seperate area for y'all to play in I'd be quite happy.  :D

DougB

Quote from: chrisso on September 03, 2004, 10:10 AM
Having said that, I tire of the endless (well that's how it seems to me) Portnoy, Bonham, Peart worship threads  :-\ (Mr Grumpy Grouch), so if there was a seperate area for y'all to play in I'd be quite happy.  :D

I doubt that would isolate the worshipping....  

Mister Acrolite

Nothing is stopping you from creating your own thread about a specific drummer you want to discuss. I just started one on Floyd Sneed a couple days ago.

Andrew

The problem I would have with separate forums for talking about Peart, Bonham and Portnoy is I think it would narrow the discussions to a very constricting degree.

There's another BB where I post. This is a BB for dog owners. It used to have, like, a million forums. One for "Diet," one for "Health," one for "Behavior," one for "Training," etc. The problem was, people kept showing up who needed to ask a question about their dog, whose behavior had suddenly changed and who seemed to be forgetting some of his training, possibly because the dog was getting older and they'd switched his food to a senior plan. So, where do you start that thread? Further, if you post it in the "Diet" forum, there's a good chance that people will focus on the diet aspects, and pay less attention to the other facets of the issue. In such an overspecialized, narrow field, topics lose context. Some of most interesting things about, say, Neil Peart might be deemed inappropriate to discuss in the narrow confines of the Neil Peart forum.

For example, right here, right now, you can discuss shuffles in the Technique forum. In the context of that forum, you can talk about Elvin Jones, Bernard Purdie, John Bonham, Jeff Porcaro, or the guy who played Alana Miles' "Black Velvet."  Fewer forums, with less specific foci creates (IMHO) a more level playing field.

mbarker12474

yep...  i like this forum as there are few discussion of what kind of underwear was Neil Peart wearing when he recorded Limelight,  minimal threads of favorite drummers of all time (as long as they were born after 1985), and largely civil conversations.  

let's keep the idolotry to a minimum and musicality to a max.

mike b.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: DougB on September 03, 2004, 10:14 AM
I doubt that would isolate the worshipping....  
LOL, I'll continue to suffer in silence then.  ;D

Seriously, I think Andrew hit the nail on the head.

roguephp

I don't think we need more topics either. But what I thought of when I read this was, wouldn't it be cool if we could have a Topic in which famous drummers started a thread and then supported the discussion over the course of a week. I also do a lot of cooking in the house, and one of the biggest cooking forums eGullet.com does this with famous chefs. It really adds a cool edge to the forum. I bet between Bart and the other pros on the board we could pull this off. I am not a "profession drummer" at this time, but even I have contact with a few that might want to participate.

Chris Whitten

Not bad!
An audio forum I visit have an occasional 'moderator of the month' forum.
It has it's own forum (obviously), it lasts about a month (obviously) and the questions are directed towards the star guest, although anyone can join in with contributions.
Quite a few top producers, mixers and equipment designers have taken part.
Great idea.
As well as 'name' drummers, we could have people like Bob Gatzen or Ross Garfield, or one of the Zildjian family (Zildjian or Sabian branch).
Gets my vote.
:P

felix

I like the forum the way it is.  We have had a few famous people drop by now and again.   I'm not sure they would want to open themselves to public scrutiny and would probably just prefer to contribute to the forum anonymously.