Topic: Who inspired you to take up drums?  (Read 10686 times)

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
Who inspired you to take up drums?
« on: September 20, 2004, 08:24 AM »
I remember being at some relative's wedding reception when I was 4 or 5 and being completely mesmerized by the drummer.  I couldn't tell you if he was any good, but I recall just watching him all night long.  I think that planted the seed.  

Further inspiration came from Ed Shaughnessy (whenever my folks let me stay up late enough to see the beginning of The Tonight Show).  After I set up my very first set of drums, the first lick I tried to play was the one bar set up Ed played to kick in the Tonight Show theme.
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

vertijoe

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 08:32 AM »
When I was 3, a friend of the family had a rock band.  Their drummer (Pete Peterson) just seemed to be the coolest guy on the planet.  After that it was Ringo Starr.  I just loved the beatles.  I wore the grooves out of Abbey Road playing to it when I got my first drumset at 5.

Offline AutoCrat

• Copper Member
  • drumpag.blogspot.com
    • Drummer PAG
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 09:14 AM »
My father tells me (because I don't remember) that when I was young, like 2 years old, I would go to our neibourgh and just sit on the throne and hit the snear with my hands.

And as long as I can recall, I've been attracted by drums, until I could play one for real at the age of 12. My music teacher told me that he had never seen someone play that good the first time they played :) It seems that tapping on Nirvana songs helped me in my early years :D
A 5 rythm polyrythm is hard to master,
But creating one needs a lot more passion.

http://drumpag.blogspot.com/

Offline jokerjkny

• Cafe VIP
Re:Who inspired you to take up drums?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 10:42 AM »
love these threads... 8)

grew up a guitar player, but i still remember air drumming to a Phil Collins / Chester Thompson drum "duel" i saw in 3rd grade (4th grade?) on PBS.

but many of my very talented buds inspried me to pick up drums.  no need to worry about the key or wrong notes, but still get the girls.  what's not to love?  ;)
...this aint no time fo' jibba jabba!

Offline Paul DAngelo

• Cafe VIP
  • Greybeard
    • Paul D'Angelo
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 10:44 AM »
A sort of odd combo of Ringo, Mick Avery (from the Kinks) and Buddy Rich.  Ringo and Buddy because I saw them on TV pretty much.  Mick Avery because I LOVED the Kinks.  
When you're going through Hell, keep going.  (Winston Churchill)

paul

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 11:27 AM »
One of my earliest drumming memories is of seeing my father get his practice pad and sticks out to play along with the marching bands during football games on television.  That was back in the day when they still showed the bands.  I thought that was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen, and was constantly bugging him to let me try.

We went to every parade held, and my favorite part was always the marching bands, especially the drum sections, with the multicolored sparkle drums, sticks and arms moving in unison, and the sheer power of all that unified sound.

But watching my dad play along with bands on television is probably what triggered my interest first.

He had played in bands and drum corps as a kid in Philadelphia, but never owned a drum of his own, much less a drumset, and never played in any kind of swing or jazz bands.  I gave him a Gretsch snare that I wasn't using at the time, along with a stand (he still, at age 70, had sticks), and his wife told me he really loved playing that drum, and only gave it up when the nursing home took his sticks away, a policy in the Alzheimer's ward.

He didn't give me much besides that, but my love for drumming is something I'll always owe to him.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 12:25 PM »
As far as I can recall, I inspired me to start drumming.  I'd been playing strings and things for a while and being the DIY guy I am, decided drums were next.   No particular artist or anything.   Just my desire to make my own music.
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

dogarrette

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 12:59 PM »
Ginger Baker!

There have been many since who have confirmed -- and helped me grow -- my love of playing the drums, but it was Ginger who started it all for me.

Offline Dave Lemonds

• Cafe VIP
    • Dave Lemonds.com
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 12:59 PM »
My Dad, no question. My Grandmother showed me a picture of my Dad in a big band, and that was it, I had to be like Dad!
Dave Lemonds

Offline Sean Welch

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 01:23 PM »
My Grandmother.

She'd been telling me since I was a little kid that I should be a drummer.  Unfortunately I didn't take that advice to heart until I was over 30 :o

Listen to your elders!  ;D
Be like your ancestors or be different. It doesn't matter.

Offline ozar

• Cafe VIP
  • Tama User!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 01:40 PM »
I always enjoyed listening to the different drums in the marching band at our local football games as a kid.  When I got to be a high schooler, my best friend got a drum set and it was really tough trying to get him off his set so I could play it.

This caused me to go out and buy my own set.

Offline Dead Trooper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 01:48 PM »
I built a drumset out of cans when I was 3. Don't know why. I was fascinated with drums but not so much with music.

When I turned 9, I was given a set. To me it was an awesome toy, until I heard Metallica a few months later. That changed my life completely.
It's still Rock'n'Roll to me.

Offline agogobil

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 03:28 PM »
When I was around 8 or so, it was a Stan Freberg comedy recording of "The Yellow Rose of Texas".  It had a drummer (Alvin Stoller) that overplayed his snare part, much to the chagrin of the singer.  My older brothers also had a lot of jazz recordings which had Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, and others that I'd put on the record player.
If thine enemy offend thee, give his child a drum.

percussionmonkey1

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 04:45 PM »
Neil Peart, and John Bonham are the big influences.

Offline Stewart Manley

• Cafe VIP
  • quondam 'moosetication'
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 04:49 PM »
Carl Palmer. Seeing him on the Brain Salad Surgery tour in 1974 was a life-changer.

incdrummer

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 04:50 PM »
Alex Van Halen, Bill Ward, Bonham and Paice here.
Listening to these 4 greats made me pick up the stix.
Also my Dad was a touring drummer so i was bound to follow... :).

Offline Jim Martin (cavanman)

• Cafe VIP
  • "And I do the Cha-Cha like a little sissy Girl"
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 05:31 PM »
Early subliminal:
My uncle took me to a "Young People's Concert" (5 years old?) and we sat next to the percussion section on the carpet. I have vague memories of large orchestral crash cymbals being played.

Later:
Don Brewer of Grand Funk Railroad
Jerry Shirley of Humble Pie
John Bonham

Many more after that...

:D
"I like-uh....dooo....da cha-cha..."

Offline Ryan Culberson

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2004, 05:49 PM »
In order of "first inspiration":

Alex Van Halen

John Bonham

Stewart Copeland

Ritchie Hayward

Bonzo remains my all-time favorite!  
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" 

- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2004, 06:23 PM »

Don Brewer of Grand Funk Railroad

Ditto!  I'm *still* playing stuff I stole from Don Brewer!
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

buzz57

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2004, 09:31 PM »
Actually, nobody. It was *drums* that inspired me to take up drums. I was just captivated by them when I was about 12. Just something about those shiny kits...the sound..the feel..the power.Played on stacks of books before getting my first kit. Once I really got into it of course, my heros became defined...Bill Ward of Sabbath, Bonzo, hell just about any drummer..they were gods to me back then, hehe. (Well ok, Bonzo is still a god)  ;)

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram