Topic: Who inspired you to take up drums?  (Read 10623 times)

Danno

Re:Who inspired you to take up drums?
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2004, 01:41 AM »
Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees.

I was eight years old and I wanted to be like Mickey Dolenz, so I propped up my brother's old broken-down marching snare on a chair in the basement, and stood a little plastic table covered with silverware next to it to act as a cymbal. If I hit the table, the silverware jangled around - I was eight, it was close enough. The next year I replaced the table with a metal rod taped to the snare shell, with erector set pieces bolted to the top. I fanned them out, and it sorta looked like a cymbal. Sounded like one too, until eight minutes later when all the erector set pieces were bent and ruined. Good thing they were my brother's and not mine.

Offline Kelly Minnis

• Gold Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
Who inspired you to take up drums?
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2004, 06:14 AM »
Peter Criss, initially.  then Neil Peart.

vertijoe

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2004, 06:31 AM »
Ginger Baker!

There have been many since who have confirmed -- and helped me grow -- my love of playing the drums, but it was Ginger who started it all for me.

Oh yeah!  That was the other band I couldn't get enough of.  White Room was the first tune, I really learned how to play.  I heard a rumor, that they use to set his kit up in the trailer of the trucks on route to gigs, and shut him in so he could play in route.  I don't know if it's true, but it adds to the legend anyway.   ;D

DougB

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2004, 08:19 AM »
Actually, nobody. It was *drums* that inspired me to take up drums. I was just captivated by them when I was about 12. Just something about those shiny kits...the sound..the feel..the power.

I have to say I had a similar experience.  I loved rock and roll and didn't really have a specific drummer that spurred me on.  I just had the beat in me and it eventually came out.

I really got motivated to buy a drum set when I started seeing bands in night clubs when I was 18.

felix

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2004, 09:07 AM »
The H.S. quad player- he had the best looking girlfriends.   ;D

By the time I was a senior, it was like I had become this person- really not the best role model either.

Offline LT500man

• Cafe VIP
  • ya gotta "Practice, Practice, Practice."
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2004, 10:04 AM »
For me it was the love of music that got the itch going. Then seeing Ringo and the Beatles on Ed Sullivan nailed it down. I have loved Rock & Roll my whole life and Drums were always my favorite part of any "Band"
"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

mully

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2004, 03:28 AM »

(I previously posted this to rec.music.makers.percussion)

My brother and a few friends were trying to start a band - we were all still at school - and I went to watch them practice. While they were taking a break, I asked the drummer could I try playing his drums.  He showed me his complete arsenal of drumming skills  (boom-chick-boom-chick) and left me to it.  I tried as hard as I could, but just couldn't get it together, and I was thinking "Nothing that looks this easy can be this hard to do!!". So, I tried shifting things on the kit about, and discovered that I could play left-handed quite easily. That was me hooked, I'm afraid.  Then another couple of friends took up drumming at about the same time, we'd show each
other our latest tricks (which were nothing spectacular), and it went from there.  BTW, my brother still gigs, I still gig, the other drummers still gig - two pros, two part-timers.  Of course, we don't get paid for it. (Inland Revenue get-out clause).

Stephen

windhorse

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2004, 05:29 AM »
 http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=5315;view=all]http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=5315;view=all

Offline Vintage Ludwig

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2004, 06:40 PM »
The first was Bonham, I saw Zep for the 1st time in 1973 at Kezar Stadium in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.  I was amazed needless to say with the sound and style of his drums.  Then I saw them again in 1975, and they sounded even better.  So I saved my dough, and took out a loan on my 1st kit.  I aquired it in 1976, a used Ludwig Bonham kit-the same green sparkle kit I have set up now.  I will NEVER part with this kit.  I am still blown away today as I was nearly 30 years ago with its sound!  I get goosebumps sometimes-its that nice!

Offline Chris -

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2004, 11:45 AM »
The one and only...... Ringo.  I was a HUGE Beatles fan in my earlier days.
What should I choose - Moller/Free Stroke; Heel up/down: Zildjian/Sabian; DW/Ludwig; Peart/Gadd? Oh @*$^#&, I should have played guitar!

philcollinsfan

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2004, 12:43 PM »
Hey all,

I would actually say the drummer that was in Aunt's BlueGrass Band (We Three Plus). I watched him play at family gathering when I was about 6yo.
 Then when I first heard my man Phil on Hello I must be Going I said yes thats my insturment, since my brother was already playing guitar.

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2004, 02:20 PM »
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass is who got me really interested in music back in the early 70's.

As far as drums ... nobody/nothing inspired me to start playing! I wanted to play trombone when I went into the school band program, but the band director suggested that I play drums in the percussion section ... so I did ... and stuck with it now for almost 30 years.

mc01

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2004, 02:52 PM »
When I was a toddler my mother would give me wooden spoons, & park me in the kitchen floor in front of the pots & pans.  I would band away happily for hours.  Plus, she had a friend would played the drums in a jazz band.

Later in life it was Robert Sweet, Tommy Lee, & Neil Peart.

Nowadays..................It's in my blood!

Offline Roger Beverage

• VIP / Subscriber
    • Victory Swing Band
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2004, 07:27 PM »
I started off as a trumpet player because there was a trumpet in the house.  In an effort to get the 5th grade band up and running, the band director marked all the music with which keys to press for each note.
There was no money in the budget for private lessons and when we moved to the next town, I would have had to be able to actually read the music so I signed up for drums, as I thought that would be a heck of a lot easier.  As both parents were factory workers, they thought  it worth the investment in lessons to keep me from running the streets after schooll
The trumpet was sold to a cousin and a parade drum was bought from a family friend.

Roger

speedrolius

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2004, 03:10 PM »
I saw Buddy Rich on some tv show back in the day, when I was just a chump kid.  I couldn't tear my eyes away.  I thought he had something wrong with him!  Later, I found out that it might be possible to get half that good on drums.  Well, maybe....

timibud

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2004, 04:20 PM »
When we were little, mom had us try out for a boys choir (my little brother can really sing!) & one thing they had us do was to try & repeat simple rhythm patterns on our hands & thighs that  the conductor played on his hands & thighs. Well I nailed it so well the conductor turned to everyone there & said "This kid should be a drummer!" That is one of my earliest memories & something that has carried me through times of self doubt & defamation of ability attacks!  ;D

druma

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2004, 05:17 PM »
My brother.  He wasn't even very good, but I was hooked after seeing him try.

ktthedrummer

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2004, 08:27 PM »
Way back when I was 11 I was in love with the band Hansen. (NOT ANYMORE!!!!) I thought that it was awesome that the drummer was the same age as me and playing concerts and touring all over the place, so I decided to play drums cause it was cool. Only then i made a really stupid decision and started playing clarinet instead just cause my friends were even though i hated it. (Never do anything just casue your friends do, let me tell you.) Then i quit that cause it sucked and i joined chior. Then my chior teacher threw a chair into the soprano section cause he was an idiot. I really didn't like him, so i decided to switch back to band and since i had always wanted to play drums anyway i went with that and i absolutely love it.

Offline LT500man

• Cafe VIP
  • ya gotta "Practice, Practice, Practice."
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2004, 10:16 AM »
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

I remember my Dad listening to them all the time. I loved their music too! its fun to go back and listen to it every now and again.
"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

DaveFromColorado

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2004, 07:33 PM »
.. I'd have to say my Uncle Bill - every time we visited them in TX (twice) I got to play his drums, and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world - he taught me my first beat (standard rock beat)

I finally made a decision last year, to not work on my Mustang, and instead get a set of drums - I had $300 cash, and I wanted* those drums BAD - so I've got 'em, since then, I got my new heads, and cymbols - I hadn't had the chance to play for the past few months, between moving, and working - but now I've got 'em set up again, and I'm takin' at LEAST an hour each day to just bang on 'em if nothin' else.

--Dave.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram