Topic: Who inspired you to take up drums?  (Read 10688 times)

optomagis

Re:Who inspired you to take up drums?
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2004, 12:01 AM »
I was a pots and pans fan. Loved 'em. But my inspiration is always Danny Carey. Just untouchable

BahamaMama

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2004, 10:50 PM »
I posted this in my "Hey I'm new here" and  have pasted from that:  
"I've only been playing for 4 years.  I started a little late in life.  My son signed up for band in middle school.  They put him in percussion because he had piano experience.  We bought a drumset a year later.  I said, "That looks like fun.  Show me how to do that."  And I've been completely hooked ever since.  I took lessons for about 3 years and am thinking about starting up lessons again."  
To elaborate on that, when I signed up for band in middle school, they stuck me on the flute.  I was always fascinated with drums, but was too shy to go for it.  In my little Southeastern Okla. town, the girls were usually woodwinds.  I think the only reason I enjoyed marching in parades was the awesome "cadence" our drum section provided.
Now that I'm drumming, looking back on the music I loved over the years, it all includes great drums.   I've been a Led Zeppelin fan from day one.  I'm in a little garage band right now and we're playing a lot of Hendrix, a little Stevie Ray and some more traditional blues.  

I guess I was inspired by my son to give it try, inspired by John Bonham, and continually inspired by any random thing I hear on radio in the car that makes my want to rush home and try to do it.

ICTDrummer

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2004, 11:25 PM »
I started out as a guitarist and about 6 years in i stopped playing to take up drums... i think that there was 3 bands/drummers that got me really into it.  Jose from Incubus, Joey from Slipknot, and The drummer from Flaw

cupcake

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2004, 01:48 PM »
im gonna say dave lombardo from slayer because he was so fast or neil peart

charlie watts and john bonham also

ritarocks

Who inspired you to take up drums?
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2004, 02:56 PM »
My dad--<played tablas and was taking kit lessons at the time>-it seems that many drummers I meet, their dads are drummers too.

I was 13 when I first started playing drums  (I played piano before that).  I was way inspired by a lot of 80's hard rock <Van Halen, old Metallica, Dio, Priest...>

I think it was the Master of Puppets <Metallica> and Crue's Too Fast for Love albums, though, that really sent me over the edge to the point of no return.

Oh yeah, and listening to classic rock like Zep and Jimi and Santana.

Offline MOUSE

• Cafe VIP
  • Hit me with rhythm, there is no pain.
    • Neil
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2004, 03:35 AM »
My first piano lessons which i failed miserably at  ;D
My brother got me into the pipe band as a drummer at 12, but i
I think it was after watching "Easy Rider" i had to go and buy a kit and learn the Steppenwolf classic Born to be wild, it was so cool back then.
Tama Granstar

BigBillInBoston

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2004, 09:20 AM »
Like several others who have posted, I always knew I wanted to be a drummer...pots and pans, better at keeping/remembering rhythmic patterns than other kids, watching drummers live or on TV when ever I could.

This interest I had from an early age was augmented by having one of the best role models possible when I was old enough to start taking lessons and playing in school bands (5th grade). The school instrumental music teacher in the little town I grew up in's main instrument was percussion. Not only was he way cool, played jazz, gigged regularly in his spare time and was a first rate clinician and music contest judge, he was way more hip and happening than any other adult I knew. (Did I mention the beautiful set of red sparkle Ludwigs he had that I completely drooled over as a 10 year old in the late 50's)  :)?

We knew he was too good for our little school. After a few years he went on first to a much bigger high school than on to be a professor in a a very good college program where I met up with him again and played in the college jazz band and percussion groups he led.

He later went to to be a clinician/artist endorsement/new product guy for Premier than later Yamaha. He was (and is) a great guy and extremely inspiring to an aspiring 10 year old drummer.

BigBill  

Offline Bob Pettit

• Cafe VIP
  • Designated Driver
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2004, 08:06 AM »
The Disney movie "Johnny Shiloh", about a drummer boy in the Civil War.

I was 8 when I saw that movie and soon after got my first toy snare marching drum with strap. By 10 I had a real snare and was taking leasons in school band.

ritarocks

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2004, 09:15 AM »
The Disney movie "Johnny Shiloh", about a drummer boy in the Civil War.

Cool--I'll have to check out that movie!  I've never heard of it---thanks for the heads up 8)

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2004, 09:41 AM »
i always had a thing for rhythm; even in utero, according to my mom, but i never considered asking for drums coz we always lived in apartments.

nigel olsen [elton john's early drummer] piqued my interest as a tween. i thought that photo of him on the back of the 'caribou' album rocked -- he looked cool and i wanted to be like him, and i liked how his drums sounded.

but it wasn't till i was 30 that my boyfriend encouraged me to go for it. he said he knew i'd make a good drummer. so he really inspired me.
then, when i saw terri lyne carrington play, it sealed the deal. it was very motivating to see a woman really burn on the kit.
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

dannydrumperc

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2004, 11:25 AM »
Well … this kind of weird … but I first got interested in drums because of my fourth grade classmates. Rap was starting to get known here in Puerto Rico. All my classmates were doing these strange rhythms with their mouths, mimicking drumbeats. I knew nothing about that because no one in my family listened that music (not yet today :P). So I soon found out what was that when rappers started appearing on local TV.

Then I started watching MTV and that was something that changed my life forever. Watching Alex VanHalen, Tico Torres, Ricky Rocket, Tommy Lee and Lars Ulrich  :o (just to name a few) was very determinant in my future decision.

I started fifth grade in a new school (and new town). They have a music program that doesnt belong to any particular school that gather students from all the local schools. My mother wanted my to took sax, but I was already in love with drums. I didnt played a full drumset until two years later, but in two more years I was the #1 drummer of the percussion section. Then joined the Puerto Rico Education Dept. band when I was 15 years old 8).

But I have always had good ears and rhythm. I discovered by myself about 2-3 and 3-2 clave way before taking music lesson. I think this is something that was inevitable meant to be. ;D

samto

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2004, 12:53 PM »
my sister was an orchestral percussionist and one day i got dragged along to one of her concerts, and saw someone playing drum kit.  i went home and got lesson, woo.  

Offline will_tm

• Cafe VIP
  • First Class All the Way... Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2004, 03:41 PM »
All my dads old records inspired me to take up drums. On Saturday mornings my sister and I would have swimming lessons. On the way to the swimming lessons we got to listen to our dads cd's in the car. My sister would always play air guitar and I would play air drums. I think the cd's floating around at the time were Sting, Phil Collins, Bryan Adams. I have no idea who the drummers were then or what the albums were, I just remember jigging along in the back of the car waving my arms about.
When I was 7 I started lessons and at 8 I got a drum kit for christmas. I played and played and played but was never very good. At age 11 I couldnt find a drum teacher so I quit.
5 years later I had 3 really good friends that I used to listen to music with all the time. One day when I wasnt there they decided to make a band. I turned up a week later expecting to listen to music and was confronted with a set of drums and sticks were thrust into my hands.
2 hours playing together later we were still rubbish but apparantly good enough to play at someones birthday party which we did.
Since then I have been in love with drums.
My main influences then were the drummers from unknown Sting, Phil Collins and Bryan Adams albums as well as Abe Cunningham from the Deftones, Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters and Roger Taylor from Queen. Recently my major influences have been Abe Laboriel Jr and John Bonham.

JohnD

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2004, 11:26 PM »
When I was 4 I used to watch The Great Space Coaster on TV.  There was a guy on there who played drums, which i thought was the coolest thing ever.

dannydrumperc

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2004, 09:21 AM »
Oh, and my stomach still feel the buterflies whenever I listen to the Flintstone's theme. Now I think that maybe THAT was what catched my attention toward drums. Man, I'll never play that fast!

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2004, 09:39 AM »
The "I Dream of Jeannie" theme has a lot of drums in it, too!
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

detroitsnare

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2004, 07:21 PM »
i made my self do it .i loved drums all my life i knew when i was lik 4 i was goin to be a drummer. know im learning from the best drummer in detroit michigan(recardo lott)

dragonmstr

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2004, 08:29 PM »
Well i am still a kid (15) but i wanted to become a drummer (still nto to good) because when i was listening to FearFactory there drummer is crazy with his bass drum and it sounds great. Also me and my friends are starting a band and im the only one who can affort drum's.

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2004, 08:45 PM »
I listened to music on a home made crystal head set when I was in grade school. (Now that's old.) I was listening to an Iowa dance the night the Big Bopper died.  :( .... But it was Steve Johnston, the drummer for the Trashmen (famous song-"Surfin Bird"). He gave me free lessons when he had his set at his girlfriends house around 1959 or 1960....Then I was real inspired by Bobby Bailey when I seen him play with Jerry Lee Lewis around 1962. I recently bought a set from him. We became friends and contact each other weekly....After all these years, it is a small World....    8)
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

JacoWeckl

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2004, 02:18 AM »
Billy Cobham's Spectrum album and Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior album, just some fantastic drum work
Danny- just practice. 240 bpm isnt unattainable it's just fast

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram