• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

speed in drumming

Started by Assassinator, August 18, 2002, 02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assassinator

Bart, you, as a prof. drummer can tell me this the best:

a] how much do you value speed in drumming?

i'm especially talking about moving around your drumset, in a quick tempo

and b] how can one generate a lot of speed for his drumming? is this also a matter of set up? eg: having your toms as close nearby to each other etc, or is it all a matter of strength + fitness?

Bart Elliott

Personally, I don't split up my technique to the point of where I could value speed more than other things like sound production, accuracy, etc.  It's all part of drumming, so I work on building all of these ingredients equally as a whole.

If you want to build your speed ... the best way I have found is slow, methodical practice.

By doing this you will develop muscle control, learn to stay relaxed, endurance, accuracy, etc. After mastering a particular figure, rhythm, beat, fill, etc., at a VERY SLOW tempo, you can gradually speed up just a little bit and master that. Then work on it a little faster; then a little more. By taking your time and spending hour after hour, increasing the tempo just a little bit each day, you will eventually be playing faster ... but with the control, sound and accuracy that you need in conjunction with it.

What good is it to play fast if it sounds terrible? Clicking rims, missing drums, poor sound, etc., are all things you'll want to avoid. Focusing on speed alone will not produce good results for you ... trust me.

Your set-up and posture at the drums does play a role in all of this. Having your set-up optimized for YOUR BODY ... so that it works for you ergonomically ... is a must! What you need to do is figure out where each drum, cymbal, etc., needs to go for you to have optimal flexibility in your playing. This may mean that your set-up is not the coolest looking ... or look like your buddies kit. If you want to develop to a peak performance level ... you'll need to set your kit up so that it works for you. This may mean that between your first two toms, you there is a one inch gap, but between the second and third tom there is a 4 inch gap! There are some general rules to consider ... but if you feel relaxed and comfortable, and can reach everything easily without struggling, your playing (and speed) will greatly improve.

If you are wanting to increase your speed going around the drums ... simply practice it very slowly, and gradually work up the tempo. If you start getting tight in the muscles, missing drums, etc., then you need to slow back down. Don't spend time teaching yourself that in order to play fast you have to tighten up your muscles; the EXACT opposite is true!

Hope this helps a little.