• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

YOU WILL BE SHARING YOUR DRUMS!

Started by Thorne, October 17, 2004, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorne

I have memory locks on all my stuff and im counting on the others to not bring a drumkey. They sure wont be getting my key..  Besides Im bigger than most people. and its rare that someone will disrespect me to my face..

So i say bring it on..I break i cry . you break you buy..  

Jon E

I've said it before.....

IT IS A SIN TO MOVE ANYONE'S MEMORY LOCKS!

Generally speaking, if I sit in on someone's kit, I play it as it stands.  Call it a challenge.

On an open mic night kit, I might adjust stuff a little.

roguephp

Quote from: Jon E on October 18, 2004, 11:36 AM
Generally speaking, if I sit in on someone's kit, I play it as it stands.  Call it a challenge.

On an open mic night kit, I might adjust stuff a little.

I head to a few open mic nights in the area just to keep things interesting. I know most of the folks who go now - they almost all play some form of blues/folk rock... not my thing really, but it is fun none the less.

I occasionally bring my drums (I bought myself a Yamaha Hip-gig just for this reason) but usually one of the other 2 regular drummers brings their gear and is setup before I even get there.

I have made it a point to get to know the other drummers - this is a big help with insuring they will respect my stuff if/when they play it. This has also helped in them not flinching when I ask to play their gear (I have seen them say no to to others).

The only changes I make are to raise or lower the position of the snare/seat - and maybe shift the hi-hat stand a bit in or out. I never mess with anything I don't have to. I know this keeps them bringing their stuff.

I would say, if someone plans on doing an open mic thing and bringing their stuff... get to know ALL the other drummers who come regularly... introduce yourself to the new comers... and let it be known you will be watching.

One guy who almost always brings his drums stopped because someone (without loosening anything) yanked his mounted tom into a new position. He just about punched the kid... it took him about 3 weeks to calm down and start showing up with his gear again... but I know he is now way more particular with whom he lets play them.

orihood

Nobody plays my drums without my permission, including my 2nd kit! I must be assured that if they break it, they pay for it.

I'm not about to spend tons of money (to me!) for others to tear up! Selfish? NO. Smart? YES. And if I allow someone to play my drums, they CANNOT change any settings!

If they have several drummers using "line drums", let the promoter rent the drums. He can split the fee among those who play them. I'd rather pay partial rent for an evening than have my equipment torn up.

If the promoter isn't willing to do that, than bypass the gig.

Don't take me wrong...I'm willing to share my equipment with qualified and responsible people. I just check them out first! Been there!

Louis Russell

Sharing drums is a way of life for the working drummer.  I never got accustomed to it but now I am better able to pick and choose who plays my kit.  I have no problems with a drummer playing my kit but it is the bashers that make me cringe.  Early in my drumming career I always took two kits on the road.  One for the gigs where I was the only one playing and the other kit for times I had to share.  No one will be as nice to your kit as you, but the extra wear and tear is just the cost of doing business as a working drummer.  I would always try to get reimbursed for intentional damage but this is sometimes impossible.  On the other hand there are many drummers I respect and would have no problems with them borrowing my kit for several days at a time.

DanMarg83

Well think about it this way.  Anyone who comes on this forum seems like they'd respect someone else's gear.  That seems to be the general consensus.  ;D  Most other drummers who've been in this situation before will probably be the same.  It's the people who only think they can play that you have to worry about.

But yeah, I'm very VERY cautious about who plays on my kit.  Luckily I haven't been in a situation like an open mic night or a jam yet, so I haven't been through that stress.

I know it's coming though, and I plan on buying an entry level kit of some kind to use for this purpose.  There's no way I'd let someone near my $3000+ kit.

I'm definitely taking into consideration anything anyone says on here.  I'm not a big guy, so I can't really intimidate anyone into respecting my kit, so I guess I have to be extra cautious about who I let use it.  Hahaha

irishthump

Physical size has nothing to do with it, Dan!!!

I'm only 5'8", but believe me, when I lay down the rules about other people playing on my kit, PEOPLE LISTEN!
YOU JUST TELL THEM! PERIOD!

I have no real problem with people using my gear, but I INSIST they bring there own snare, kick pedal
AND hi-hat. Also, the positioning of my kit does not get changed, not even the slightest bit. And if they don't like that, they know where the door is!
Thankfully, this approach seems to work, and I have only ever once had to send another drummer (and his band,) home in tears!

DougB

Several times a year I go to see my old band playing out, and each time they invite me up on stage to play a couple tunes just for old times sake.  First, I make sure the drummer is cool with me filling in.  Second, I don't move a thing.  No adjustments, no nothing.  I play what's there, in the position they are in.  I don't whack the crap out of the heads.  I just play, knowing that this someone else's investment and I am a guest.

Of course, a jam session is a different situation.  I'd be pissed if some meathead beats my new drums up, but it depends on what the agreement is.

Matt

I played a gig back in January where I filled in for my old band whose drummer was out of town. The soundman at the club was also a drummer. He was a nice guy and seemed very knowledgable about playing, tuning, micing, etc.

My drums sounded killer that night while I was playing. Anyway, to make a long story short, I let him sit in during the second set so I could see how my kit sounded in house.

Animal from the Muppet show seemed like Buddy Rich compared to this guy. He played the parts decently, but had no sense of dynamics and dented all of my brand new heads. I was upset and politely told him the drums arrived without dents in the heads and would greatly appreciate him replacing them since they were only dented due to his playing. It took a few days and a few phone calls but I came home after work one day to find a stack of new heads in their boxes next to my front door.

From this event I realized that I would adopt a policy similar to "you break it - you buy it!" if I let someone play at a gig again.

Thorne

Well this show has now been canceled,, The owners got scared i guess.  It was going to be a new thing for this club.. We are trying to find a place thats not doing so well and boost its draw. and also provide a few players with a steady gig for a few weeks..

This owner must have found a working combination.  and just didnt want to take a chance.. so we offered something new and we are waiting to see what he says..

We offered an all nude show featuring transexual orangatans dancing with
Russian expatriot nuclear scientists dressed in see through Kimonas and an
organ grinder named Hans (touch my monkee!!)...

His eyes perked up a bit but that was about it..  Thanks for all the responces . The one thing is .......MY KIT IS STILL A VIRGIN!

What one of you can say that..  (see me sticking my tongue out at ya)..

Peace

Louis Russell

Quote from: Thorne on October 23, 2004, 06:44 AMThe one thing is .......MY KIT IS STILL A VIRGIN!

What one of you can say that..  (see me sticking my tongue out at ya)..
Me, but remember this.  Your Virgin "A" kit will soon become your "B" kit and then before long it will become your "beater kit".  Believe me, I have been through this cycle many times.  

drumz1

My motto to anyone who tells me that my kit will be shared by drummers whom I don't know:

"LOOKS LIKE YOU BETTER RENT A KIT, PAL, BECAUSE MINE WON'T BE THERE!!"

Period, end of sentence, end of story.

The other drummers can tear up the rental kit and I could care less.  They will NOT be wearing out my kit.  I worked 'way too long and 'way too hard to get it, and I will be damned if someone else is going to destroy it.

If the promoter can't or won't rent a kit, then it's his problem, because I won't be there, and neither will my kit, simple as that.

In the theater I play at, there is a morning show, and the drummer in that show is a friend of mine, and plays my kit "as it sits", doesn't touch a thing, and doesn't play nearly as loud as I do.  With that in mind, it's cool if he uses my kit.  Plus, even though we are friends, I made it clear to him that "a break is a buy", and he's cool with that (although he has no choice in the matter if he wants to use my drums, sorry).  We take turns buying new heads for the kit,  in order for it to always sound good.

If it were any other venue, it would be a rented kit for sure.

JMHO.

Regards,
drumz1