Topic: The most influential drummers...  (Read 22727 times)

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
Re:The most influential drummers...
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2002, 03:43 PM »
general:

i dont know ... im not the public at large.  and cant really say.  top that off with the fact that im not as familiar with the history as i could be and all i could do was mention names ive heard a lot.  

personal: (i think ive been over this, but i might as well freshen the load)

eddie prevost - redefined the role and capabilities of drums
rashied ali - redefined rhythm and time
david grubbs - hes a guitarist actually.  but his album banana cabbage ... was hugely influential to me (on every instrument).  it proved that there is a lot of depth within a single note if you just let it go and listen.

Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Full Collapse

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2002, 08:18 PM »
Influences to me:

Cyrus Bolooki - NFG

Travis Barker - Aquabats/Blink 182/Box Car Racer/Transplants

Tre Cool - Green Day

Offline Daddy0

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2002, 08:46 PM »
Daddy0 - Just saw your mention of Ginger Baker in the old Cream LIVE recordings.  He was something else.  You also mentioned Cobham, who I saw with Mahavishnu three times.  The first time I saw them, I was literally stunned by their intensity.
Pops, I'm just a little envious here -- I've never seen Mahavishnu Orchestra except on an old TV show called "In Concert" that was simulcast on FM radio. I went out the next day and bought Birds of Fire.

Another large influence on my playing was the dynamic duo -- Butch Trucks and J.J. Johanson of the Allman Brother Band. If any of you drummers out there have never listened to "Live at Filmore East" then you really out to give it a try. If nothing else, you will get one serious lesson in dynamics.

Offline Ernie Durawa

• Honorary VIP
  • Ernie Durawa
    • Ernie Durawa
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2002, 11:06 PM »
Johnny Vidacovich is one of the finest drummers I have ever heard...very loose and great grooves.I like his side stick on the floor tom grooves.
Also has a great jazz feel.Maybe next time I make it to New Orleans...I can find out where he is playing.
 :)

Offline Jim Martin (cavanman)

• Cafe VIP
  • "And I do the Cha-Cha like a little sissy Girl"
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2002, 11:27 PM »
Daddy0 - Just saw your mention of Ginger Baker in the old Cream LIVE recordings.  He was something else.  You also mentioned Cobham, who I saw with Mahavishnu three times.  The first time I saw them, I was literally stunned by their intensity.
Pops, I'm just a little envious here -- I've never seen Mahvishnu Orchestra except on an old TV show called "In Concert" that was simulcast on FM radio. I went out the next day and bought Birds of Fire.

Oooo...I remember that show. I loved it beacuse it was 'Pre-MTV- 2-second-camera-shots. You got to really see the guys play. And Cobham was the The Man. Nice memories. Kinda gives awy my age though...
 ;D
"I like-uh....dooo....da cha-cha..."

felix

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2002, 06:28 AM »
The three most influential drummers for me (who I usually sound like)

Tommy Aldridge/
Kenny Arnoff
and in my fusion "gig" I've been said to sound like the one and only Steve Gadd here and there (although that compliment was from a guitar player)

I don't play enough jazz to really sound like anybody but the greatest influence on my jazz playing was Jim Chapin and just plain old rudiments.

I guess I'm "dated" sounding.

Ratamatatt

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2002, 09:35 AM »
general:

i dont know ... im not the public at large.  and cant really say.  top that off with the fact that im not as familiar with the history as i could be and all i could do was mention names ive heard a lot.  

personal: (i think ive been over this, but i might as well freshen the load)

eddie prevost - redefined the role and capabilities of drums
rashied ali - redefined rhythm and time
david grubbs - hes a guitarist actually.  but his album banana cabbage ... was hugely influential to me (on every instrument).  it proved that there is a lot of depth within a single note if you just let it go and listen.

Mark,

Walk to the nearest wall.  Is it a apolstered.  LOL (Just trying to figure out why you're not part of "the public at large").

Anyway, it is abundantly clear that the posts reflect the poster's general inability to answer the question because they cannot resist the temptation to talk about their personal favourites ie: eddie prevost? rashied ali? david grubbs?  

Mark, I'm sure these are great drummers (even though I've never heard of any of them) But, the most "influential" drummers?  GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Ratamatatt

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2002, 11:27 AM »
Mark,

Walk to the nearest wall.  Is it a apolstered.  LOL (Just trying to figure out why you're not part of "the public at large").

didnt say i wasnt a "part" of the public at large ... i said i wasnt the public at large.  i am not all drummers.  therefore i dont know who influenced every drummer and cant say whos name comes up most.  its a math thing.

Anyway, it is abundantly clear that the posts reflect the poster's general inability to answer the question because they cannot resist the temptation to talk about their personal favourites ie: eddie prevost? rashied ali? david grubbs?  

Mark, I'm sure these are great drummers (even though I've never heard of any of them) But, the most "influential" drummers?  GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Ratamatatt

they are the most influential to MY drumming. thats why i seperated general influences from personal.  a good chunk of these posts listed "drum world" influences (general) as well as the posters own influences (personal) ... i was just following suite.  so why pick on me for it?
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2002, 11:35 AM »
I think that there is two ways to read this post,

1. most influential drummers to me personally

2. most influential drummers in general

this is why there is a confusion.  I think most people are putting down who was most influential to them personally, not over all.
You don't practice one day no one notices, you don't practice two days you notice, you don't practice three days everyone notices.

Ratamatatt

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2002, 11:55 AM »
The original question was:

I'd like to find out who you all think are the most influential drummers(not neccessarily directly to yourelf)  You each get 3 answers . . . .

If that's confusing . . .  anyway.  Like I said, we just can't resist the temptation to talk about our personal fave's.  

Ratamatatt

felix

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2002, 11:57 AM »
so why pick on me for it?

Cause the rat has a crush on you.  LOL

Actually I thought your influences were pretty awesome.

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2002, 12:01 PM »
yeah ratt but that's too vague, most influential in what style of music?  rock? Jazz?  there are to many types of music and to many drummers to pick three.  And one is going to gravitate to his personal favorites b/c of whatever style they play,  I don't think that Neil Peart was influential to me but it might be for you b/c of the style of music you play.  Tamboricua mentioned changuito, who is a monster, very influential to a lot of latin drummers and percussionist, but I'm pretty sure he was'nt very influential to most of the people here at the forum.

I'm not trying to argue with you, you know I respect your insights but can you see where I'm going with this?
You don't practice one day no one notices, you don't practice two days you notice, you don't practice three days everyone notices.

Ratamatatt

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2002, 12:29 PM »
I don't think that Neil Peart was influential to me but it might be for you b/c of the style of music you play. . .  can you see where I'm going with this?

Listen, my last post reads a bit more contentiously than the humor/irony I was shooting for.  But anyway, the question is straight forward enough and it's a good question that we all would like to have each other's answers to.  I think you made my point about Neil Peart.  I don't care for his drumming at all.  On other threads I all but accused him of being a drum machine that can't keep time.  Yet, I was honest enough to include him in my top 3 (along with Rich and Gadd) 'cause just about every other drummer I know disagrees with me and cites him as a major influence.  

If I were to honestly cite the 3 drummers who most influenced me personally, I doubt anyone would have heard of them because they are not recording artists, they're just local performers and teachers.

Ratamatatt

Offline Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm not bald; I'm aerodynamic.
    • k e i t h c r o n i n . c o m
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2002, 12:43 PM »
If I were to honestly cite the 3 drummers who most influenced me personally, I doubt anyone would have heard of them because they are not recording artists, they're just local performers and teachers.

Nothing wrong with that - one of my biggest influences was this guy named Herbie who had the drum chair in the high school jazz band before me, some 20-odd years ago. Last I heard, he'd been in and out of jail, and was working as a waiter somewhere, never having played professionally. But he was one of the funkiest players I ever heard, and a major influence on my approach to the drums.

As a fellow South Floridian, I'd be interested to hear who those three influences of yours are!
Hit on 2. Repeat on 4.
(instructions found written on Mr. A's snare drum)

Ratamatatt

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2002, 01:24 PM »
As a fellow South Floridian, I'd be interested to hear who those three influences of yours are!

O.K.  Only because you asked.  Alright I confess, I'm dying to talk about my personal influences like every one else.  There, I said it.  I feel better.

1. Lenny Steinberg - great swing feel and attitude.  I'm mostly a swing, bop, big band style drummer because of him.

2. Steve Bagby - My first teacher.  Great BeBop drummer who has played with some big names like Ira Sullivan.  Last I heard he moved to N.Y. - again.  He used to teach private lessons at UM.

3. Idalberto Perdomo - Came from Cuba about 9 years ago.  A freak of nature.  Unnatural independence (he must have a separate brain for each limb).  Amazing power and speed - all from the rists.  Can play double bass and HH with his left foot at the same time.  Complete latin percussionist.  Used to teach at Resurrection Drums on Bird Road.  Recently moved to L.A. because MIAMI IS A CULTURAL WASTELAND.  Taught me a lot about clave, polyrhythms, independence and single stroke rolls.

Ratamatatt

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2002, 01:41 PM »
i understood the original question just fine and my first reply was (page one of this thread):

"i have no clue.  i am only me and not all drummers.  my guess is your top three would vary from genre to genre.  ask 100 jazz guys, and theyd probably have different answers from the 100 rock guys and 100 metal guys etc.  "

and i stand by that (and repeated myself in my second reply).  at the time there was a seperate thread going for personal influences.  but it fell to the wayside because this thread began to explore both.  and as this thread came back to life it seemed that personal influences were of interest as much as global (scratch that ... north american and western european) influences.  and in the grand scheme of things it makes sense.  how are the three most influential drummers counted ... by the number of people they PERSONALLY influenced.  

if you were going for humor and irony i missed that.  my bad.  nature of the internet beast :)  

oh yeah, and sorry ratamatatt ... im already hitched ;)

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2002, 01:45 PM »

O.K.  Only because you asked.  Alright I confess, I'm dying to talk about my personal influences like every one else.  There, I said it.  I feel better.

1. Lenny Steinberg - great swing feel and attitude.  I'm mostly a swing, bop, big band style drummer because of him.

2. Steve Bagby - My first teacher.  Great BeBop drummer who has played with some big names like Ira Sullivan.  Last I heard he moved to N.Y. - again.  He used to teach private lessons at UM.

3. Idalberto Perdomo - Came from Cuba about 9 years ago.  A freak of nature.  Unnatural independence (he must have a separate brain for each limb).  Amazing power and speed - all from the rists.  Can play double bass and HH with his left foot at the same time.  Complete latin percussionist.  Used to teach at Resurrection Drums on Bird Road.  Recently moved to L.A. because MIAMI IS A CULTURAL WASTELAND.  Taught me a lot about clave, polyrhythms, independence and single stroke rolls.

Steve is great - the other two I'm not familiar with.

As far as this being a wasteland, be thankful you're not in some podunk town in the midwest, like I was when I grew up!

I don't make it to Miami much, but it used to be you could hear some pretty great drumming around the 2nd street area in Lauderdale: Bobby Thomas, Bobby Economou, John Yarling, Goetz Kujak, Archie Pena, and others - not too shabby. And each year UM has a couple of standout drummers. You could do worse, believe me. It ain't New York, but it ain't hicksville, either!
Hit on 2. Repeat on 4.

Ratamatatt

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2002, 12:48 PM »
Mr. A,

Like I said on another thread called Cultural Wasteland, where I complain that clinicians don't come to Miami despite the abundance of talented young drummers:  GOING TO FT. LAUDERDALE AIN'T COMMING TO MIAMI.

Ratamatatt

Offline Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2002, 12:59 PM »
Mr. A,

Like I said on another thread called Cultural Wasteland, where I complain that clinicians don't come to Miami despite the abundance of talented young drummers:  GOING TO FT. LAUDERDALE AIN'T COMMING TO MIAMI.

I don't know - when an artist comes clear across the country to play in my neck of the woods, I can manage a 30-45 minute drive to go see him. Hell, if you live in Kendall and the artist plays in South Beach, it takes that long to cross over there. The important thing is that they come to South Florida.

When I was growing up in midstate Illinois (walking to school uphill twelve miles through the snow, barefoot)  ;), the closest anybody would come was St. Louis (90 miles away) or Chicago (200 miles away). So I think we've got it pretty good.
Hit on 2. Repeat on 4.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2002, 01:14 PM »
try living in asheville N.C.  2 hours to knoxville ... which isnt a major stop for anyone, but an ok college town.  3 hours to chapel hill which is a pretty big stop for most, and 4 hours to atlanta.  i made those latter two drives more often than id like.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram