• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The most influential drummers...

Started by rlhubley, August 27, 2002, 11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlhubley

I'd like to find out who you all think are the most influential drummers(not neccessarily directly to yourelf)  You each get 3 answers

Here's Mine:
1. Roy Haynes - This guy influenced the master jazz drummers and was doing a lot of what "they" do before "they"started doing it!
2.  Tony Williams - Constantly this guy is rated as a major influence
3. Buddy Rich - need I say more??

sois

Jeff Porcaro
Matt Cameron
Danny Carey

rlhubley

Jeff is a BIG influence on a LOT of drummers, so I agree with you there.

I really am a big fan of both of the other ones you listed, but question their overal influence.

Mark Schlipper

i have no clue.  i am only me and not all drummers.  my guess is your top three would vary from genre to genre.  ask 100 jazz guys, and theyd probably have different answers from the 100 rock guys and 100 metal guys etc.  

Andrew

Gene Krupa -- the first "sex symbol" drummer. ;) (Seriously, this guy scared parents.)

John Bonham -- big fat guy, big fat groove.

Neil Peart -- honestly, how many rock drummers do you think were first inspired to get out of four-on-the-floor when they heard "2112?"

pipster

Gene Krupa                                                                 Kieth Moon                                                                       Stu Copeland     ..if I could have another it would be the drummer out of Buddy Holly's Crickets (the one playing on "peggy Sue" )  No Honest !!  they all broke the rules and set us free

Fireftr125

Bonham, Buddy Rich, David Garibraldi.
That covers three diferent styles

DirtBomb

Sykotik

Vinnie Coliauta, Chad Smith, Stanton Moore

Nomad442

1. Anton Fig - CBS orchestra David Letterman
2. Stewart Copeland - Police- Oysterhead
3. Clyde Stubblefield - James Brown

98mmonaghan

rlhubley

I guess what I am asking is not all that clear.  There is a post already about what drummers influence YOU, I would like to know what drummers you think are the most influential across the board.  For instance, someone mentioned Stanton Moore.  This is truly one of my favorite drummers, he is great.  However, he is a new drummer and has only just started influencing drummers.  HE was influenced by Johnny Vidacovich, another NOLA drummer.  Gene Krupa on the other hand influenced tons and tons of drummers who in turn influenced others who in turn influenced others and ......

Vinnie, another favorite of mine.  IN fact if i HAD to pick one favorite he would probably be it.  However, you can clearly hear Tony Williams in his playing, and you can also hear some Stewart Copeland.

Tony

rlhubley,

Your thread topic is certainaly open for interpretation, and I understand the point of where you are going.  But other (especially younger) drummers may not be  educated or experienced enough to grasp the enormity and scope of your question.   Influential in what way?  Ringo Starr certainly influenced 1000's of people to become drummers, many who are highly succesful right now.  Buddy Rich was another, as was Gene Krupa.  But these people influenced drumming by exposing it to millions of people, and becoming superstars in their own right.  Chick Webb or Baby Dodd are some of the first percussionists to play a makeshift drumset arising out of the needs of vaudeville orchestra's, so is their influence greater or less than the aformentioned folks?  Elvin Jones summed it by saying if you want to understand the way your influence plays, you have to dissect what influenced him and what influenced those people, etc.  Sure, you can hear Tony Williams in Vinnie's playing.  Maybe Vinnie would say he is one of the most influential drummers in history, but I'll bet Tony Williams would disagree.  Please don't take my post as criticism or in an argumentative way, but in the spirit of debate.  After all, this is a loaded question that will no doubt cause lots of arguments  :)

Mark Schlipper

Jim Martin (cavanman)

I find that I can't truthfully give an answer to this and feel satisfied.
???

The difficulty of this thread is that 1) it's limited to 3 drummers - that's almost impossible to nail down even if you limit the discussion to one style and 2) as similarly noted by RLH, answers might (incorrectly) seem either 'out of touch'** by referencing players who have never been heard of by younger or possibly less experienced players [like Baby Dodds or Chick Webb] or seem (incorrectly) naive** by mentioning only really current players (such as Portnoy, Carey).

{**Please note I'm not saying anyone is 'out of touch' or 'naive' - just that anyone could judge some of answers incorrectly by their own age, life experiences, etc. I include myself in that group also)**

The drumset has a long history that started out as a way to save money on multiple percussionists (early ex. Stravinsky!) and has now flowered into one of the most varied methods of musical expression today. There's a lot of places that major turns in style and approach have happened so....maybe someone else can limit their answer to three...but I'll just still be the hyper kid in class straining at holding up my arm to answer and saying "BUT...BUT!!!...
:)

Jim

rlhubley

First of all, I would like to say that I am always up for debate.  Secondly, this is definitly a tough question, and one that your answer might change daily or more.  The point of the topic was to sort of trace our own influences back and get some sort of drumming family tree.  

Fireftr125

Quote from: rlhubley on August 28, 2002, 07:20 AM
HE was influenced by Johnny Vidacovich, another NOLA drummer.  

Fireftr125

You actually know who Johnny Vidacovich is??? I studied with him for a while, and He never gets any credit. I cant believe anyone outside of N.O. actually recognizes him as a force in drumming.
But, I have to disagree with you, Stanton dosent resemble vidacovich's playing at all, If anyone Id have to say Ziggy Modelstie from the meters.

Daddy0

Not that I think he was a really great drummer, but when I was a kid with my first set of drums, I played along with Led Zeplin's first album until I could play everything Bonham played, note for note.

So in the big scheme of things Bonham was not the most influential, but I always tell people that he taught me how to play.

Other influences:
Billy Cobham (ala Mahavishnu Orchestra)
Ginger Baker (back on the old live Cream recordings)

And, yes, I too am a big Peart fan!

rlhubley

Vidacovich is mentioned anytime Stanton talks about his influences.  Yea, he does resemble Ziggy a bit more, but I hear some Vidacovich in there too.

Bonham is a GREAT drummer, and I agree was a HUGE influence on tons and tons of drummers.  He is the epitomy of a rock drummer.