• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The most influential drummers...

Started by rlhubley, August 27, 2002, 11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asiandrummer

Peart, Daven Raun, and Derrick Plourde

mrdrums

Carlos Benson

I thought it was a simple question myself  :P...

1) Buddy Rich
2) Ringo Starr
3) Danny Seraphine

There all just personal choices. ;)

tamboricua

The father of Songo:

José Luis Quintana Fuerte "Changuito"

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio  ;)

inanna

In no particular order -

Buddy Rich
Steve Gadd
John Bonham

Personal influences -

Dave Weckl
Terry Bozzio
Peter Blick

GrohlHawkins

Dave Grohl
Taylor Hawkins
Stewart Copeland

Paul DAngelo

Daddy0 - Just saw your mention of Ginger Baker in the old Cream LIVE recordings.  He was something else.  You also mentioned Cobham, who I saw with Mahavishnu three times.  The first time I saw them, I was literally stunned by their intensity.

MUSIKxDRUMR

My Influence:
-Chad Sexton
-Virgil Donati
-Dave Ellis
-Rodney Holmes

Close Behind
-Stewart Copeland
-Billy Cobham
-Mitch Mitchell
-John Bonham
-Neil Peart

AnthonyS

For me...

I dig: Mitch Mitchell, Peart and K. Moon.  They are my 3 fav.  Of course there are others.  

agogobil

Gene Krupa

Kenny Clarke

Alan Dawson

(for me, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, and the "yankee snayh drummah" on Stan Freberg's "Yellow Rose of Texas")

jon26

Mitch Mitchell
Carter Beauford
John Bonham

Paul DAngelo

YEAH.  Two more for Mitch Mitchell, the seemingly forgotten storm behind Jimi Hendrix. !!

perkeyset

Tkitna

I think the three most influential would be-
1. Buddy Rich
2. Ringo Starr
3. Jon Bohnam

My Favorites-
1. Ringo(big beatle freak)
2. Phil Ehart
3. Jim Gordon
4. Alan White
5. Ansly Dunbar

Thrak

Bill Bruford  -  I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet!
Bill Ward  -  Practically the first modern metal drummer!
Ginger Baker/Keith Moon  -  too hard to pick between!

I'd say those are pretty big influences to the drummers that currently influence me.

Thrak

BretScherm

In terms of modern drumming (last century or so) it's gotta be:
1.) Gene Krupa
2.) Buddy Rich
3.) This ones tricky...cause bonham was influencial in such a massive way to rock drumming and what it is today, with out him I honestly don't think drumming would be the same.  At the same time Ringo totally invented rock drumming as a whole.  And then you got gadd who incorporates so much into his playing and has inspried a lot of today's greatest players  (Weckl, Beauford etc.) who wouldn't be playing the way they do with out his influence.  And there are so many more, like Elvin Jones, Stewart Copeland, Tony Williams, Billy Cobham that it really is hard to pick a third after the two i mentioned above.

Ratamatatt

In this order:

1. Buddy Rich

2. Steve Gadd, and

3. Neil Peart (even if I don't care for his style0

Ratamatatt

Drumlooney

for me:

Joel Rosenblatt

Dave weckl

Alex Acuna

Horacio Hernandez

Omar Hakim

sidereal

Hmmm... I guess I missed this topic the first time around.

General Big 3:

Tony Williams
Jeff Pocaro
John Bonham

Personal Big 3:

Stewart Copeland
Terry Bozzio
Jeff Pocaro

Man, it's tough to limit it to three. :) I don't feel right not having Bill Bruford (personal) or Neil Peart (general) up there.

Seems there's a lot of drummers in people's lists who have only been around for the last 10 years or so. I think that's fine when saying who influenced your own personal growth. But I don't think you could say in a general sense that anyone who got their start after 1990 is a person of significant influence. History hasn't revealed that to us yet.

Not trying to dictate anything, just stating an opinion.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: sidereal on November 11, 2002, 03:08 PM
Seems there's a lot of drummers in people's lists who have only been around for the last 10 years or so. I think that's fine when saying who influenced your own personal growth. But I don't think you could say in a general sense that anyone who got their start after 1990 is a person of significant influence. History hasn't revealed that to us yet.

I agree with Side's take, although Dave Grohl has certainly had an effect, even in the short time he's been prominent.

I'm going to go a little left of center with my choices - no Buddy or Neil in this list, regardless of their talent or fame:

1. Kenny Clarke - Many consider him to be one of the creators of bebop. I'm personally more familiar with Max Roach's contribution, but jazz historians seem to lean towards Clarke. Without his innovations, most of us might not play the way we do when we play jazz.

2. Hal Blaine - If you listened to an hour of radio in the 60's, you heard at least half an hour of Hal Blaine. He influenced most rock drummers, whether they knew it or not. More people KNEW about Ringo. But more people were LISTENING to Blaine.

3. Steve Gadd - Steve made chops FEEL good, influencing the latest crop of uber-drummers in a big way. Virtually no pop, jazz, or session musician is immune to his influence, bringing the concept of intricate ghost notes blended with a fat, paradoxically simple feel to a new level. Without him there would be no Weckl or Vinnie.

Tough choices. Would have been easier if we'd been allowed five, or ten. But a fun mental exercise!