• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The most influential drummers...

Started by rlhubley, August 27, 2002, 11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratamatatt

Ashville?  Knoxville?  Aren't those close to Mayberry RFD?

LOL.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: Ratamatatt on November 13, 2002, 05:22 PM
Ashville?  Knoxville?  Aren't those close to Mayberry RFD?

LOL.

yes actually ... no joke ... the town that was mayberry was just outside asheville.  im as proud as prize peaches let me tell ya  ::)  

actually asheville is a great little artsy town in the mountains.  an island of culture.  and has been for quite a while.   ever hear of the black mountain school?  it was just outside asheville in the 40's and 50's ... home to the likes of john cage, merce cunningham, david tudor, etc.  a veritable hotbed of scholarly avant garde activity.

way off topic at this point ... sorry ... accept that john cage is one of my all time biggest heros and influences :)

Tae

rawdrums22

I would have to go with
Peart-  I mean it is Neil Peart
Lang- this guy blows me away everytime
Bonham- Fat beats man

lilblakdak

Most Influencal:
Bonham
Peart
Starr
My Influences:
Bohnam
Phil Rudd
Vinnie Appice

Mark Counts

Wow,
John Bonham
Neil Peart
Carl Palmer
Carter Beauford
Ansley Dunbar
Bill Buford
Billy Cobham
Greg Bissonette
Johnathan Mover- Anyone that plays with Satriani
Allan White
Tommy Aldridge
And Many Many More!!!
There are lots of drummers that have influenced me.  I am
still finding some.
                The Nutty Drummer

Mark Counts

I think he means Ringo Starr.  The story goes,  The Beatles had a killer drummer named Peter Best.  He was too much for them so they found Ringo.  I have never been impressed with Ringo Starr's drumming.  But who am I to judge.  He was in the right place at the right time and he was just what they needed.
Then he became rich.  
                                Nutty

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: drumnut1 on January 17, 2006, 07:06 PM
I think he means Ringo Starr.  The story goes,  The Beatles had a killer drummer named Peter Best.  He was too much for them so they found Ringo.  I have never been impressed with Ringo Starr's drumming.  But who am I to judge.  He was in the right place at the right time and he was just what they needed.
Then he became rich.  
                                Nutty

Pete Best was "too much" for the Beatles? Sorry, but that's NOT the story I've ever heard. Ringo was a top pro on the club circuit the Beatles were playing, and had the playing, the look, and the intelligence to make him a key part of what would become  the most influential band in modern history.

I don't know about you, but I can't find a single Beatles song where the drumming isn't rock solid and tasteful. He was doing hit records in his early 20's that still stand up to critical listening. I can't say that about my own playing at that age, nor about many other drummers other than Tony Williams.

The Beatles were a band the was greater than the sum of its parts, but that's because all four together created a chemistry that would be lacking if even one of them was missing. That's why you'll never hear Paul, George, or John complaining about missing Pete Best. They realized when they got Ringo that they'd found the missing piece of the puzzle who could take them to a higher level. Their success immediately after bringing Ringo into the band would seem to substantiate this.

It's your right not to dig his playing - as with everything, it's all a matter of taste. But I think your Beatles your history is a bit shaky.

Rusty Beckett

Mister A - I've been under the impression that for the early stuff the Beatles recorded they used a studio drummer.  Any truth to that or is it just a rumor?

I agree with you, Ringo might not be a "flashy" drummer but he is a solid one.  

I got my start in drumming by drumming along with Beatles songs back in the early '60s.   If I had started listening to someone like Rush the outcome might be different today . . .  ::)

Mark Counts

Sorry Mr. A,
This is what was tought in my high school about 27 years
ago.  Maybe they got it wrong and I didn't mean to hit a nerve.
I do think that Ringo was solid. He was also part of the chemistry that the 4 of them had.  After all they were the biggest thing of the time. I still listen to some Beatles music but
honestly I was never impressed with Ringo. I am sorry that I made that vocal because they may have had more fans than any band in history and I am sure some people won't like what I said. There are a bunch of very solid Country drummers too but when you ask people who thier Idle was they don't usually mention a bunch of country drummers either.  It is always Neil Peart or John Bonham or maybe Buddy Rich.  I don't think Ringo is really in that group but again that is my opinion.
Again, Sorry if I hit a nerve with you!!!
                Nutty

Mark Counts

Sorry that I missed this one, "taught"! My wife reminded me!!
I really just play drums because I love it!! Don't ever plan too make it but, I will keep playing music as long as my health let's me
play!! 45 next month and I feel like I am the best I have been in 36 years of playing  I have really put my whole +_+ into it.  That is why people that work with me call me Nutty!!!

KevinD

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on January 18, 2006, 09:39 AM
Pete Best was "too much" for the Beatles? Sorry, but that's NOT the story I've ever heard. Ringo was a top pro on the club circuit the Beatles were playing, and had the playing, the look, and the intelligence to make him a key part of what would become  the most influential band in modern history.

This is the story I've read as well. Ringo was a well known player whose reputation had extended beyond the Liverpool "Merseybeat" scene. He was quite popular and in demand, even had his own little "shtick" going on with his rings. They looked to him to bring together the final element of professionalism.

Keep in mind, before the Beatles had their first hit, they had years of slugging it out on the club circuit. I believe when they played Hamburg they were doing 3 shows per day for months at a time. They had similar arrangments when they played in other countries and even when they got back home. So I would bet they were sounding pretty darn tight at that point.

Playing all those hours together is going to make a decent band into a great one over time and I'm sure that contributed not only Ringo's but all of their solid foundations.

As far as studio musicians being used (discounting any Bernard Purdie cover up stories) I believe a drummer named Andy White played on an early (single) version of "Love Me Do" but it was later recut with Ringo for the album version. I think Ringo is on the most popular version that most of us have heard.

I have all of this in various books but they are all in storage at this time.

cmsrick

There is no open to interpretation.  If you play drums, you were influenced by Buddy Rich or someone who WAS influenced by Buddy.

cmsrick

Dude, I don't think you heard that story correctly.  Ringo is the most underrated drummer in rock.  The truth is that all rock drumming came from him.

DWdrmr

I just read an article in a Readers Digest that somebody took from a doctors office ::) and had brought to work last week..oh,well, those doctors probably have to throw all those mags out anyway...about the early days of the Beatles. In it, John Lennon is quoted "he(Pete Best) always plays the same thing for every song..thunk, thunk, thunk"...and they had seen Richard(Ringo) playing with..I can't remember the name now, band, which Ringo says "made terrible music, but the guy could dance..and I was making 5Lbs a pop" (that was $27 back then..not bad)
Paul and John drove an hour and a half to where Ringo was staying with the leader and asked him to come outside( the nerve.. but business is business)...and convinced Ringo to come back to London, they wanted him to come WITH them, but, the band leader asked Ringo to finish out..(2 more nights). Paul and John got what they came for and went back to London and had Brian Epstein (the manager) do the dirty work of firing Pete.
Pete later said after being furious, but seeing his fate was sealed, went home and wept.
 Now you can take it or leave it, as always, and I had always heard Pete had been fired...this just substantiated it for me.
But to me, I personally believe that The Beatles wounld not only have been the same without Ringo, they would'nt have, as a band , made the same impact on the music scene, business, and society.And that's a pretty broad statement...
However, I cannot agree with the last statement made that "all rock drumming comes from Ringo"...Larrie Londin comes to mind first of all..there are others. :)

Tae

Quote from: lilblakdak on January 18, 2006, 11:32 PM
Ringo

For some reason it seems that I never fail to make myself look stupid :P

Tae

Quote from: drumnut1 on January 17, 2006, 07:01 PM
Wow,
John Bonham
Neil Peart
Carl Palmer
Carter Beauford
Ansley Dunbar
Bill Buford
Billy Cobham
Greg Bissonette
Johnathan Mover- Anyone that plays with Satriani
Allan White
Tommy Aldridge
And Many Many More!!!
There are lots of drummers that have influenced me.  I am
still finding some.
                The Nutty Drummer

There was a few on your list that I would of listed but I think we were only supposed to name 3. You pretty much put what I would of.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: Tae on January 23, 2006, 07:29 PM
For some reason it seems that I never fail to make myself look stupid :P

When in doubt, Google is your friend.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=drummer+starr&btnG=Google+Search[url]