• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

DW collector or SONOR Designer?

Started by justdave01, December 31, 2004, 09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justdave01

Been drumming long enough to know what's up and I know about the cost. I just want to get players feedback as far as sound. Obviously both are excellent. What do you guys think? Which one get's the vote?

Mister Acrolite

Both are more than I'd EVER spend on a kit.

I'd buy a high-end Pearl, Fibes, or Yamaha before I'd ever think of dropping that much money on a kit. They sound as good or better, for far less money. But that's just my opinion.

justdave01

It's kindof a collecting thing also. Kind-of into rooms full of drums like some are into garages full of cars. I guess.

rdmitch

Well, since you've narrowed it down to the two sets only and no others kits are involved I will base my thoughts on only these two companies.

I would not even try to change your mind to another brand!  While there are so many great companies out there each making great drums.  We all know that the head selection, blah, blah, blah  will effect the sound etc, etc... Sorry all, but I still feel that there is a certain pleasure that is derived from playing the set you really like and that looks and feels best to you.  There is a certain pride of ownership in a set that you worked hard for, always wanted and fits your emotional needs.  While we can all play and sound good on the lesser expensive Pearls, Pacifics etc... after loading in equipment, setting up , miking, and generally working my tail off I want to be able to stand back and look at the set on stage that really makes me happy!!  It makes me feel better about the work I have to do.   If the Sonors or DW's float your boat and are within your financial grasp, GO FOR IT and more power to you!

Both would be excellent choices and mirror my own liking as well.
First I would go DW as my own personal taste prefer them, having owned both of the sets you refer to. 

DW is American made (for the most part), there is a person at the end of the phone that can help.  Don't get me wrong, I like Sonors big time but I'm don't speak German and if there is a real issue that a local rep or distributor wont resolve I can't call the factory.  I can, and have called DW and gotten to the right people to help.

Parts for DW are available more readily, Sonor parts are hard to find and come at a high price  (look at the price of Signature Series parts on e-bay)

Both offer great features (Sonor BD spurs kick butt!), DW pedals and hardware are amazing,  but overall DW still offers a better line (IMO again) of accessories and options.

DW finishes are more diversified, and they are better able to match a finish without a lot of overseas freight and time constraints.

These are just my opinions only, sorry for the ramble.

Good luck and post the pics of what you get!!

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on December 31, 2004, 09:14 AM
They sound as good or better, for far less money. But that's just my opinion.
I agree. In fact as a pro and someone who is very concerned with sound, I'd buy something used that sounded 'as good or better'.
I regularly rent DW kits. To me they are like white bread, in other words they do the job. I have nothing against them, but I have 4 sets that I'm very 'proud to own', none of which are DW.
IMHO, Sonor are OK.....I know Sonor fans would disagree. If I lived in Germany, I'd probably play a Sonor kit. Right now, with the dollar seriously sinking against the Euro, I can't see any reason to pay even more for a kit that's no better than any other 'pro' level product.
If I had $2,000 - $5,000 to splurge, I'd definitely buy a classic (Camco or Gretsch) or a custom (Brady, N&C, Canopus, Tempus perhaps, Craviotto....if you could get him to put a kit together for you).
Just my opinion.
:-\

Mister Acrolite

Yeah, like Chrisso, if I WERE willing to spend megabucks on a kit, I'd spend it on vintage gear.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: justdave01 on December 31, 2004, 09:19 AM
It's kindof a collecting thing also. Kind-of into rooms full of drums like some are into garages full of cars. I guess.
I'll say one more thing....then shut up.
IMHO, a vintage kit or a custom build would be far more collectable than a DW or Sonor ever would be. Ebay is littered with DW and Sonor kits.

sirdrumalot

From what I've heard and played, the DW's aren't what they used to be. When they were a smaller company they gained a great reputation and for a good reason, they were making excellent drums. But now, I hear alot of complaints about inconsistency, rattling lugs, and so on. I would take a better look at the Sonors but I would also widen your range of drum choices. There are tons of great drum companies making drums that are just as nice as the Sonors. Yamaha, Tama, and alot of other custom companies.
    The only thing I'd be worried about when getting vintage gear is first the drums themselves, if you buy a drum new you won't have to worry about bearing edges, the shell not being in decent shape etc. who knows what a used drum has had to deal with? Once you start spending that much money on a Sonor or DW you could really start looking at some of the custom companies out there.  

Chip Donaho

Quote from: chrisso on December 31, 2004, 10:00 AM
perhaps, Craviotto....if you could get him to put a kit together for you.
If he made sets I know I would consider his drums....  ;)

BigBillInBoston

If it's just between the two mentioned and it's not just the sound but also the (pardon the expression) "snob appeal" I'd give the nod to the Sonor Designers. Not as common as DW's and just as distinctive looking.

BigBill

Chris Whitten

Quote from: percussionmonkey on December 31, 2004, 10:26 AM
The only thing I'd be worried about when getting vintage gear is first the drums themselves, if you buy a drum new you won't have to worry about bearing edges, the shell not being in decent shape etc. who knows what a used drum has had to deal with?
There are ways to limit the fear factor  ;) :
http://www.maxwelldrums.com/

sirdrumalot

That looks like a great site, that green Gretcsh kit is awesome!

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: chrisso on December 31, 2004, 11:20 AM
There are ways to limit the fear factor  ;) :
http://www.maxwelldrums.com/

Aw, crap - now I have to get a towel to wipe up the drool. That  http://www.maxwelldrums.com/gretsch-sets.html]tangerine sparkle Gretsch   is sweet!

Yeah, THIS is where I'd go to blow any lottery winnings - the heck with Sonor or DW!

Mister Acrolite

Mr. A's idea of heaven:

;D    :o    ;D    :o    ;D    :o   

Chris Whitten

LOL  ;D
Although I've visited the site, I hadn't noticed that picture before.
Yeah, the Tangerine kit looks great.
Mr A's 3,000 dollar solution? ;)
The Green Nitron is surely an awesome price. He has a 1950's WMP for $4000 and there are very few Nitron sets.
 :o

sirdrumalot

Did you see those vintage K hi hats they were selling, a thousand dollars!!!!! A thousand dollars.... I'm keeping my A custom mastersounds, geese.

felix

I'd go with the Designers if I was the harder player.  They just don't go out of tune and the lugs don't rattle.  That's a fact.  I've owned DW's and have a Designer snare *awesome drum*.  Hell my force 3000's sounded better than my DW's.  Sitting down on one of those Sonor kits- sheesh, it's like night and day when you lay into those things.  But if you don't know, you don't know- simple as that.

There are a few designers on ebay.  Ebay is never littered with Designers.

As far as tone, that's very subjective.  I'd match the set to the situation.

I would compare a DW kit to a Sonor Delite kit, not a Designer.

I'm in the position to buy a new maple kit and I'm not buying either sonor or DW.  I'm going custom.  I doubt it will ever be collectable and I'll take a bigger loss on it than a DW or Designer kit.  I'm hoping they will sound as good as at least one of the two afore mentioned companies (Keller Shells) but not expecting them to sound as good as a Sonor Designer kit.  I'm just hoping they sound as good as my Force 3000's.  

Chris Whitten

Quote from: felix on December 31, 2004, 12:24 PM
There are a few designers on ebay.  Ebay is never littered with Designers.
You're probably right.
There just seems to be plenty of choice in Sonor kits on Ebay.....probably because I'm in Europe.

felix

Well there are only 4 here at this time and ones in Puerto Rico- ooops, that's Dr. Cluck too.

One new Designer in beech/bubinga  $4600- (been there for about 4 months)
One used "        maple light/trans green $2500 (about 2 months)
One F3K 6 pc. for $1200 (the guy has been trying to dump this for at least a year.
One S class Pro (been there awhile also) Dr. Cluck I think

and a few orphans of each- I'd hardly call that "littered"- nobody is buying them either

Vintage Ludwig

Vintage gear is the way I would go........er, is usually the way I go anyway-