• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

DW collector or SONOR Designer?

Started by justdave01, December 31, 2004, 09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justdave01

I'm confused. I've found Five piece Designer sets for 55-5800 brand new. Where is everyone coming up with 10k. I can get a masterworks Pearl set ordered just for me for 4300. Tell you what, If your paying 10g for The designers, call me and I'll sell you a set for 9K. It's a win win deal. LOL

felix

I think most of that was a figure of speech or relating to retail prices.  The 5 star ebony veneer designer kits are close to 10K and then you have the signature SE's and "jet sets" but that stuff is or was all special order rare stuff anyways.

And Showtime, you have to learn to dissagree with me more how else are you going to make friends?.    ;D You can't come in here knowing everything, that takes 4000 posts.  Hmmm, maybe you might be a faster learner than most  :D  Pretty funny man.

justdave01

This little question turned into quite post. Hmmmm. Wonder what would happen if I said something like Buddy's chops suck. Just kidd'n. Later.

Dave

justdave01

I just went to the SONOR website and into their discussion forum. All but one post is in German. Hmmmm, so much for ease of info. I'll get my translation book out so I can go ask some questions. LOTFLMAO

felix

cool, you are still alive and posting

check out the sonormuseums discussion board... lots of dw converts over there

www.sonormuseum.com and jump into their forum

there have been several of this very same thread at that site

Buy a delite kit from Julian... he will give you a great deal and awesome service

Showtime

Actually Felix I came from another forum. This forum just happens to have people who actually know drums. I only agree with people who actually KNOW what there talking about.

Isosceles

I've played both Sonor and DW. I have to say that I love Sonor. Very solid drums. DW snares are great, but I never really liked their toms.

mick laBriola

I own a DW Black piano finish Fast Tom Kit with die cast hoops from the 90's; 10-12-14-16-20 kick. Hardware is very easy to replace. Durable built like a tank with a loud, punchy, wide open overall sound with a dance band attack, this kit can take a beating and still comes up stellar. Great for Rock n Roll, Reggae, African and Latin music. A working mans kit for sure. I have implemented so many tom heads on the DW's, and it has been very challenging to say the least. I keep going back to Evans G1 or 2 as a lighter single ply head like a Remo Ambassador, do not accommodate well to the DW's. I call DW's, Ayottes and Phatties that I own, the BIG BOOM BOOM KITS.

I own two SONOR Designer Bubinga kits one Birch one Light Maple. Birch 12-14-18 kick with 14x6.5 snare and the Maple 12-13-16-18 kick. The Sonors are a quieter Controlled sound kit overall. All very durable and sturdy but with a higher quality custom furniture finish and very precision and heavy hardware but parts are very difficult to replace and or order and don't let me forget the SONOR non standard drum key (very weird). The sound is certainly wonderful for vintage jazz, R&B, Blues, New Orleans or really any genre of music including theater, dance company music or church/synagogue settings. The SONORs have a brighter tom sound, tuned to pitch similar to the 50's jazz standard of tuning, they are awesome sounding. I use Remo Ambassadors and frankly they are unusually astounding sounding on these kits. My 1965 Slingerlands have a similar sound but a bit louder with of course the vintage flimsy hardware that was standard back in those days. From about 1969 to 1980's I had to tie my kick drum to my drum throne because there was no way it would ever stay in place with my wild bronco drumming approach.

So to conclude DW big-loud-great hardware-difficult to tune-reliable-tuning more limited. SONOR quieter sound-beautiful tone-pitch oriented-artistic look-great hardware but difficult to replace-easy to tune-generally more flexible tuning capability! In conclusion I found the kick drums of both brands very easy to tune and accommodate as well as the snare drums.
Does this help?
Good Luck Amigos
micklabriola.com

Chip Donaho

I have many various drums including DW, Mapex, Slingerland, and Craviotto. They each have their own sound. In the Army Band we played nothing but Ludwig.