• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Any other percussionists in the forum?

Started by tamboricua, August 30, 2002, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tamboricua

Hi forum, hope all is well! I would like to know if there are others percussionists in the forum? Congas, timbales, bongó, batá, etc., players?

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio

Mark Schlipper

yep, i mostly do middle eastern stuff.  frame drums, dumbek, darabouka, working on tabla.  im also looking to get one of those nickel talking drums they use in japan.   for some reason not into the african or latin thing.

Scott

Hi Jorge,

Welcome to the Cafe!  I myself am a percussionist also residing in Dallas.  I would love to hook up sometime for a lesson or a few.  

Great to have you here.

Scott

Drumlooney

Hey Jorge,
I also play percussions, mostly Salsa (when it comes to percussions) in NYC but I'm a drummer for the most part.

tamboricua

Quote from: Scott on August 30, 2002, 12:38 PM
Hi Jorge,

Welcome to the Cafe!  I myself am a percussionist also residing in Dallas.  I would love to hook up sometime for a lesson or a few.  

Great to have you here.

Scott
Thanks Scott, for the welcoming. I really appreciate! Sure, feel free to contact me anytime regarding the lessons. Tonight, I'm playing at Olé Mexican Grill in Arlington, and tomorrow night at Safari Café in Grand Prairie with Latin Jamba. Latin Jamba is a swinging salsa, merengue, cumbia band that is making some noise in the Dallas musical scene. Feel free to stop by and say hello.  Keep in touch!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio[/quote]

tamboricua

Quote from: Drumlooney on August 30, 2002, 01:19 PM
Hey Jorge,
I also play percussions, mostly Salsa (when it comes to percussions) in NYC but I'm a drummer for the most part.

Great, Drumlooney. I have very good friends in NYC.
Do you know Víctor Rendón, Renato Thoms, Todd Shietroma, Ray Leavitt? All excellent percussionists!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio    

bingbing

Hello Jorge!

I don't know if you remember me.  I met you a few years back, when Angelea, Michelle, Jose were around, up in Denton.  We were trying to build up that Ewe group.  
Anyways, good to see you around still.  I'm still up in Denton....playing for the TWU dance department and also Music Therapy in the school districts.  Would love to set up some conga lessons with you sometime.  It would be great to get my elementary understandings stretched a bit.  

Regards,
Bill

tamboricua

Hi Bill, hope all is well. Of course I remember you! Nice to hear from you. It's been a long time. Anyway, feel free to contact me directly.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio  

Drumlooney

Hey Jorge,
well Unfortunately I don't know any of these guys although I have heard Renato's name in conversations.  The guys I usually do work around here are Bobby Allene, Mark Quinones, and others.  Venezuelans are taking over salsa in NYC with guys like Robert Vilera, Luisito Quintero and Andres Bermudez to name a few.

tamboricua

Vaya Drumlooney, hope all is well! Of course, I'm aware of Bobby Allende, Marc Quiñones, and the Quintero crew, (Luisito and Roberto) work. All excellent percussionists.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio      

Bart Elliott

So I leave Dallas ... and all you guys suddenly start showing up on my forum ... what's up with that!!! LOL

Wish I could have met you all and connected at some point.

BloodMagician

I did some agogo bells, congas, timbales and other such items when I did jazz band (not my musical genre of preference, but it is good to learn and exrapolate from all kinds of music, no?), but since I do so little of that, I don't really consider myself a percussionist in the sense that you mean. I'm really much more of a kit drummer.

bingbing

Quote from: Bartman on September 01, 2002, 10:49 PM
So I leave Dallas ... and all you guys suddenly start showing up on my forum ... what's up with that!!! LOL

Wish I could have met you all and connected at some point.

That makes two of us Bart.  By the time I figured out you were in Dallas....you were heading out in a week.  At least this forum allows us to communicate.   I wish you the best in Nashville.

Regards,
Bill

Bart Elliott

Quote from: bingbing on September 02, 2002, 09:14 PMThat makes two of us Bart.  By the time I figured out you were in Dallas....you were heading out in a week.  At least this forum allows us to communicate.   I wish you the best in Nashville.

Well, here's a thought. I'll be back in Dallas on Oct. 31 - Nov. 2 ... and possibly longer (or earlier). We should all try to hook up for and rap over some java or something. I'll be sure to let everyone know if I'm going to be back before then.

Regardless if I'm back or not, I encourage you all to get together! I was wanting to start a weekly luncheon where drummers & percussionists get together and talk shop.  George Lawrence started that here in Nashville years ago ... and it's been a great networking/community tool. The one here in Nashville is called the Pro Drummers Luncheon ... but it doesn't have to be for "pros" only if you do it in Dallas.

Also, I want us to get into more percussion discussions here at the Cafe ... and not just hand drums ... but total percussion, including mallet instruments, timpani, etc.

tamboricua

Looking forward to it! Keep me posted.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio

Drumlooney

Hey Jorge let me know if you're ever in New York, we'll hit the town.  ;)

tamboricua

Vaya Drumlooney, hope all is well! Sure, I will.
Keep in touch!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio