• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

about heads and recording

Started by drumforsoul, January 06, 2005, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drumforsoul

im going to buy an evans head for my snare but i dont have the money to buy the rest of the heads, so if i have a diffrent brand of head on my snare then on the rest of my drum will it be a problem when i record a song, will it sound bad? or maybe evans on my bass drum and snare and not on my toms?

Bart Elliott

If it sounds bad, it won't be from mixing brands ... THAT I can assure you.

Having fresh drumheads and tuning the drums well is going to guarantee you the best results ... regardless of the brand or model you use. Some people prefer to use drumheads that have had a lot of play time on them. That's fine, but the longer a drumhead is played, the harder it is to tune. Mylar, the material that synthetic drumheads are made from, stretches over time ... there's nothing you can do about that. This "stretching" can make it tough to tune the drum exactly the way (the sound) you want.

Recording is going to expose the imperfections of your sound, so getting new drumheads is going to be the way to go. If you can't afford to get new drumheads for all the drums, worrying about it won't do you any good. Tune them the best that you can and hope for the best ... that's all that anyone could expect. It's the fact that you have old drumheads, not that the brands are different.