Topic: under-rated drummers  (Read 18667 times)

Offline Filacteria

• Bronze Member
  • Seasoned Rookie
    • Filacteria
Re:under-rated drummers
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2004, 02:07 PM »
Metal:

Tomas Haake - Meshuggah

John Tempesta - Rob Zombie, Testament

Nathan Van der Wouw - Lemur Voice (former)

Bobby Jarzombek - Spastic Ink

Morgan Ã…gren - Sol Niger

Richard Christy - Death

David Husvik - Extol

Mark Zonder - Fates Warning

Session:

Ricky Lawson - Independent (seen/heard with: Yellowjackets, Aretha Franklin, The Winans, etc...)

Harvey Mason

John "JR" Robinson

Larrie Londin

DougB

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2004, 02:26 PM »
I'm going to get hammered for this, but, I think Ringo was underrated.  

I couldn't agree more.  While many of their hits were very simple, some of their other stuff had complexities.

Interestingly, a few years ago I was jamming with this band with another accomplished drummer.  We were switching off playing percussion and the drum kit.  When we got to a point where the band wanted to play a bunch of Beatle tunes, the other drummer got up and handed me the sticks, saying "I can't for the life of me figure out and play the drum part on Beatles tunes!"

Stenny

« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2004, 12:55 AM »
Jimmy Chamberlin - Killer snare licks
Morgan Rose - great groove
Dave Mclaine(Machine Head) - great metal drummer
The Guy from the RX Bandits - Reggae/punk, fat grooves
Dave Grohl - Rock Machine
Joey Waronker - real original
Sean Kinney - Drummed for Alice in Chains....  i just really like his parts

and

Shannon Larkin - original drummer for snot, drummed for ugly kid joe and Amen(killer records), and now drums for Godsmack.  He recorded Glassjaws 2002 LP, and laid down some thick drum parts.  This guy just hammers.

Stenny

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2004, 01:09 AM »
oh yeah.... steven perkins of Janes Addiction(rip), he rocks, simple as that

philcollinsfan

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2004, 01:30 AM »
Of coarse my boy Phil Collins but also

Sott Rockenfield of QueensRyche. Listen to Mindcrime.

spikedrummer

under-rated drummers
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2004, 04:43 AM »
Morgan Rose - He is great live. He never stops moving! Plus, his stuff is rock solid too.
Chad Sexton - One of the most under-rated technichal drummers out there. His beats are solid yet interesting and his solo is amazing!
Josh Freese - His beats are solid and can be technichal at times. I think he's just a great all around drummer.

JayB

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2004, 01:09 PM »
Almost all of the drummers I have been seeing are pretty amazing drummers with pretty big acts, and I think they get proper recognition from ppl who matter....DRUMMERS!  But, if I had to add anyone to the list, it would be someone NONE of you on this board have ever heard of, but I could be wrong:  Mike Burch!  He is the drummer in Zydecajun, Wayne Toups' rocking Zydeco/Cajun/Country/R&B outfit here in South Louisiana!  He has some amazing fills unlike any I've heard from others in the genre (mainly southern country, NOT western.)  He consistently achieves AWESOME drum sounds in the studio as well as live (not a small feat for regional acts!)...he's a fun drummer that is underrated, even if it IS only b/c of lack of exposure...

Offline Paul DAngelo

• Cafe VIP
  • Greybeard
    • Paul D'Angelo
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2004, 01:15 PM »
That chick from Kid Rock.  She's not like, drop-dead amazing, but she compliments the tune nicely and she's got some great grooves.
Her name is Stefanie Eulinberg.  I saw her on a special where Michael McDonald was performing tunes from his Motown tribute album.  She did a fine job in what I considered a totally new style.
When you're going through Hell, keep going.  (Winston Churchill)

JayB

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2004, 01:15 PM »

Here is a list of of drummers that are underated:

Fats Domino

I didn't know Fats Domino played drums too.  I always thought he just played piano and sang about hills named after berries... ;D

Offline Paul DAngelo

• Cafe VIP
  • Greybeard
    • Paul D'Angelo
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2004, 01:28 PM »
he's a fun drummer that is underrated, even if it IS only b/c of lack of exposure...
I'd say that pretty much goes for Johnny Vidacovich as well.  
When you're going through Hell, keep going.  (Winston Churchill)

funkster

under-rated drummers
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2004, 04:32 PM »
Bobby Colomby
Aynsley Dunbar
Bob Moses
George Marsh
Jake Hanna
Lenny White
Ed Greene

Offline SteveR

• Cafe VIP
under-rated drummers
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Pat Wilson - Weezer
This is my signature.

bilkay

under-rated drummers
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2004, 06:42 PM »
Jason Cooper of The Cure

Offline RHSquonk

• Cafe VIP
  • Giggity!
    • my myspace space
under-rated drummers
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Munetaka Higuchi, drummer for the Japanese band Loudness.

This guys rocks. You metal heads should check him out.

Here is a link to a side project he had in' 96.

http://www.kramerskorner.com/kingsx/discography/everythingelse/freeworld.htm]http://www.kramerskorner.com/kingsx/discography/everythingelse/freeworld.htm

Check out the list of buddies he had playing on this album. They definatly don't under-rate his playing.  ;)

-RHS
"I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity" - Albert Einstein

daylightdies

« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2004, 10:02 AM »
Highly recommended everyone here check out PAATOS. They are from Stockholm, Sweden. They play some variety of progressive rock, brit pop, shoegaze, modern rock etc.. mostly melancholic (which I love). Their drummer is really incredible. Their latest CD "Kallocain" had a live DVD with it and I was totally blown away by him.

Also, Martin Lopez of OPETH is a phenomenial drummer. OPETH is really breaking pretty huge now and it's wonderful to see that.. a very deserving band.

And of course GENE HOGLAN of Death/Strapping Young Lad/etc. fame is probably one of my all time favorites. The drumming on Death's "Individual Thought Patterns" may be the best drumming I've ever heard.. untouchable.

Brandon

« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2004, 09:20 PM »
Keith Carlock: Time and Groove. Wow. This guy is going to be successful for studio work. An entire album with Steely Dan, and on tour with Sting. Very nice portfolio.

soulbelly

« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2004, 09:29 PM »
jerome deupree of morphine
stanton moore of galactic (although he's getting more well-known)
mike cosgrove of alien ant farm
bill ray of ike turner

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram