Topic: What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?  (Read 15361 times)

Danno

What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?
« on: January 15, 2005, 10:57 PM »
Thinking back to Bart's suggestion here in Drummer Cafe, I propped a big mirror in front of my drums yesterday and put on a CD.

YIKES.

Talk about a revelation. I noticed the following before I'd finished one song:
 - I keep my head down way too much - booorrrring.
 - My cymbals are so low they obscure my face (reminded me of the great recent thread about cymbal height).
 - When I chew gum and drum I look ridiculous - it looks like the drumming's easy but I'm having trouble with the gum.
 - My beard doesn't look cool like I thought it did.
 - The times I was chewing gum AND had my head down, I looked like a goat eating a sourball.

The good part is that I looked fine once I raised the cymbals, lost the gum, and looked up.

I would have never known how crappy I looked if I hadn't read that tip here in DC and tried it out.

Anyway, I got all psyched up and started writing down all the things I've learned here, thinking to put them in one big post, but my effort turned into this stupid list with stuff like "Get an Acrolite" and "Learn to tune your drums", just a mindless list that wouldn't help anybody. I finally thought hey - just write down ONE tip that really helped you, explain that one tip, and then ask everyone else to do the same.

So - what's one of yours?

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
Re:What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 11:12 PM »
Don't drink beer....Makes me drop sticks.    ::)
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Offline Jay Northrop

• Platinum Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 12:31 AM »
Well typically my head is down when I am practicing at home.But at shows I tend to keep my eyes focused on what I am doing while still perusing the crowd.And I make sure that the times where my head is down I do a stick twirl or something that shows I am alive and well,lol.I realize this is a minor thing but truthfully I can't say what I do or don't do.Especially when it comes to being on stage.There I just have a natural Peart esque prescence.

Offline MOUSE

• Cafe VIP
  • Hit me with rhythm, there is no pain.
    • Neil
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 12:45 AM »
Yep eyes up and mouth slightly open so you can breath naturally, shoulders relaxed. A relaxed smile is the ticket. I often drop my arms to the sides when i'm not playing, it helps release tension.
Remember to have a loose grip with the sticks.

I find by listening to the overall band sound and how i'm fitting in helps. Otherwise you can get into a listening to yourself mode and forget about dynamics easily to the detriment of the music.

The best tip i use is to play every gig as if it were a new adventure but my very last. I give each gig my best shot. It keeps me fresh (even though we play the same repotoire every night).

Oh, yeah and be prepared Boy Scout drummers.
Check gear, gig details, etc. I'm ready for each gig at least 4 hours prior. I get to a gig relaxed ready for anything (hopefully fun).
Tama Granstar

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 02:31 AM »
RELAX

That's the most important thing you have to do.
You wont be able to utilise your technique, groove or keep consistent time until you relax.

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 05:01 AM »
Learn to read music.

That's not really a "tip", it's my credo.

Offline agogobil

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 07:22 AM »
Less is more.
If thine enemy offend thee, give his child a drum.

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 07:50 AM »
Keep an open mind.  Listen and learn.
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

Offline Dave Lemonds

• Cafe VIP
    • Dave Lemonds.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 08:03 AM »
Don't hit your knuckles with your sticks...........it hurts.

Dave Lemonds

soulcage

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 09:59 AM »
Good tip on the beer thing. Too many and you start to sweat it out your pores during the gig....it just makes me feel like my arms weigh 2x as much.

A tip I learned early on: Washing hands before playing. Reducing dirt cuts down on friction between hands and sticks....therefore, less chance for blisters.

sirdrumalot

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 10:21 AM »
 I'd learn the different grips, I'm still practicing  :-[ and it really helps.

Offline Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm not bald; I'm aerodynamic.
    • k e i t h c r o n i n . c o m
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 10:24 AM »
There are two pieces of equipment that will improve how ANY drummer sounds, regardless of what kind of music they play:

• a tape recorder
  • a metronome
Hit on 2. Repeat on 4.
(instructions found written on Mr. A's snare drum)

Offline Vintage Ludwig

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Video a session from time to time to see how you look while at the kit, and also hear how you sound.

Showtime

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 10:40 AM »
An open mind to all styles and how to take a little from all of them to give yourself a unique sound and style.

formula428

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 10:43 AM »
RELAX

That's the most important thing you have to do.
You wont be able to utilise your technique, groove or keep consistent time until you relax.

That would be my tip too.  Relax and HAVE FUN.  The one performance, I wasn't feeling that great, so I layed low the entire night.  It turns out, I got comments from our usual crowd on how our band didn't have energy.  They said we were boring to watch.  (*Note: the guitarists move like statues)

So, the next night, the bassist and I went to town.  It was like a non-stop jam session as we played covers & originals for 4 hours.  After and in between the show, we got commented on how "fun" it was to watch us on stage.  Of course, we had fun, and that's all the matters...

mediablamer

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 11:30 AM »
Nothing annoys me more than watching a band that acts like they'd rather be somewhere else. Likewise, I don't care how good or bad a band is if they're having a good time.

I don't like being told to relax because I'm already trying too hard to relax, and more pressure only makes it worse. So, in regards to relaxation, the best advice I received was to think about breathing instead of playing.

Offline amoacristo

• VIP / Subscriber
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 01:07 PM »
I agree with Mr. A 100% about the metronome because everything needs to be solidly in time. I agree as well with recording yourself. My advice that hasn't been mentioned yet is to learn a variety of styles of music. Also study (books, DVD's, from teachers, etc.). There is literally an infinite number of things that can be done on the drums and I think only the surface has been scratched. Learn what's been done and go from there.

roguephp

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 01:19 PM »
remember to breathe

Paicey

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2005, 03:24 PM »
Best tip for me was something id read from Louis Bellson a long time ago which made me scratch my head and think ya, hes right. Youve all heard it, it aint what you play, its what you DONT play. Listening to myself on playbacks has always confirmed this. To this day that statement remains with me while playing. Thanks Louie.

Danno

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 12:03 AM »
So many good ideas - thanks. I'm mostly self-taught, i.e. I don't really know Jack about anything, so these kinds of suggestions really help me.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram