Topic: What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?  (Read 15362 times)

Offline irishthump

• Silver Member
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2005, 07:44 PM »
a video camera is your best friend and worst critic -- you are probably not as talented and cool to watch as you thing you are.  

Ugh! **shudders** Ain't it the truth!
"Free your mind, and your sticks will follow....."

Offline Dave Kropf

• Gold Member
  • What is up? What is up?
    • drummertalk
    • Drummer Talk
Re:What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2005, 10:20 PM »
My one tip: subdivide with your hihat foot (heel).

If you keep subdivisions with your heel, you will be less likely to have tempo fluxuations in your grooves.  Also, this keeps the leg moving and makes open-close hh work easier (IMO).

felix

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2005, 06:33 AM »
I have found this to be a very effective tool for developing meter.  Use a drum machine for your metronome/click track.  Program in several measures of time follwed by several measures of silence.  See if you can come back in on the "1" after the measures of silence. When you get comfortable with a certain tempo, increase the length of the silence and/or change the tempo.  While metronomes are great,  they can become a crutch.  With this method, you really learn to own the groove.

Good points there.

I have problems with the metronome as a "crutch" - it has helped me tremendously and I don't think ever hurt my playing in anyway.

Along with Mr. A's advice of recording yourself; learning basic subdivisions and practicing grooves with a metronome/drum machine is going to take you FAR.

Offline RHSquonk

• Cafe VIP
  • Giggity!
    • my myspace space
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2005, 07:28 AM »
The only thing I can think to add is:  learn a pitched instrument.  Could be bass, could be guitar, or vibes, or piano, or trumpet, or even harmonica - just something that deals with definite pitches.  Learn about melody, learn about chords, learn about aspects of music besides rhythm (as valuable as rhythm is).  It'll give you added perspective on what other musicians are doing, will help you to understand the music you're playing, and will help you to create and/or choose drum parts that fit the songs you play.  It'll also train your ears to better identify what the rest of the band is doing.

Even better:  If you can develop your skills well enough to perform on this new instrument (even if it's just jamming with friends), it'll give you added perspective on what drummers can contribute to a musical situation.  Hearing how a drummer can help - or hinder - your work "out front" can be a great learning experience.  ("So THAT'S what it's like to have the drummer overplay and step all over my solo!  That's horrible!")
This is great advice James. To this I would only add 1 more thing:
Learn to appreciate the differences.
By this I mean, try to gain some perspective as to your role within the band. I have seen way too many drummers ( including myself  ::)) overplay.
There is a saying I use to remind myself of this;
"Just because you can eat the whole pizza, doesn't mean you should eat the whole pizza."
-RHS
"I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity" - Albert Einstein

Paul L

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2005, 07:58 AM »
My favorite tips from this thread are:

1) relax & enjoy
2) don't worry if you make a mistake cuz most won't know (or care)
3) use a metronome as part of your practice
4) never get angry at your mates
5) eyes up & watch during a show
6) use dynamics (don't play at "triple f" all the time)

felix

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2005, 08:13 AM »
This is great advice James. To this I would only add 1 more thing:
Learn to appreciate the differences.
By this I mean, try to gain some perspective as to your role within the band. I have seen way too many drummers ( including myself  ::)) overplay.
There is a saying I use to remind myself of this;
"Just because you can eat the whole pizza, doesn't mean you should eat the whole pizza."
-RHS

Exactly.  This sorta falls into the "record yourself".  I fall into this trap myself.  Most of the time *at least when I play them* wild fills just don't sound good at all.  Especially the off speed stuff.  You can be loaded for nuclear war with chops, but if you are just out to bag a squirrel it's ridiculous to bust out the big stuff.  

Put the squirrel on the pizza then you definitely won't wanna eat the whole thing  ;D

Offline RHSquonk

• Cafe VIP
  • Giggity!
    • my myspace space
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2005, 08:15 AM »
You can be loaded for nuclear war with chops, but if you are just out to bag a squirrel it's ridiculous to bust out the big stuff.  

Put the squirrel on the pizza then you definitely won't wanna eat the whole thing  ;D
ROTFLMAO!
Well said Felix! ;D
-RHS
"I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity" - Albert Einstein

marker

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2005, 12:06 PM »
Never sleep with the lead singer. Trust me on this.

Amen!

BTW, there's one thing I sort realized recently about working with metronomes, clicks, etc.   If you work with them all the time, you'll be real solid, but if you stop, you'll drift back into timing that "breathes".  So, if you're going into a time critical situation, practice with a click beforehand.  

Also, unless it's a no choice situation, leave the metronome at home for gigs and rehearsals.   That will save you from having the band drive you nuts.

Offline Scheming Demon

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2005, 03:59 PM »
One quote will always stick with me

"If you're thinkin you're stinkin."

Which means you play best when you are one with the music and not consciously thinking of what you're playing as your playing it.

On a previous post - What about sleeping with the singer of another band?  Probably just as bad.

windhorse

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2005, 10:09 AM »
If you haven't learned something new, then you've wasted your day.
Keep learning!

oligearing

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2005, 07:51 PM »
Play as many styles as you can.

pf69bird

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2005, 03:19 PM »
Danno's opening post really hit home with me! I recently decided to add "video capabilities" to my home studio, meaning that I plunked down a tripod, attached my camcorder, and rolled tape.

YIKES pretty well sums it up. My playing SOUNDS ok - I've gotten pretty serious about it in the last 2 years since setting up the studio, but I'm not exactly ready for VH1.
I keep my head down too much, and appear to be straining at times to get things just right.

Learning to just relax and have fun with it is definitely the key.
I can sometimes do this at jam sessions, and it's amazing how easy it all becomes - I love being in that zone.
But, drumming is a sideline thing for me, so I don't play with others often enough to learn how to be consistently good.

MikeR

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2005, 09:53 PM »
Once again... don't sleep with the lead singer.

MikeR

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2005, 09:56 PM »
Especially if she is engaged to your lead singer.

Offline Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2005, 06:11 AM »
Fortunately in my current band, the lead singer is 250 lb., 48 year-old man.

Good thing I had that bit of advice with me, though :-\
Now let's go out there and melt some faces!

edrummer

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2005, 09:32 PM »
turn you hit hats so the agle adjustment screw is close to you.  makes for better sizzle...

vertijoe

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2005, 04:30 AM »
Learn Moeller (sp?), and apply it....nice and smooth.

Offline Drumodad

• Cafe VIP
  • Loose Grips to Ya!
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2005, 12:12 AM »
The best thing you could do is get a good teacher,maybe you have been told this,maybe not.You will grow as a drummer in more ways than one,technique,style ,groove and probably the most important of all,confidence in your abilities. I read this in a previous post but its pretty much my credo,loose grips brother!
We`ll hold today to ransom `till our quartz clock stop until yesterday

Got Drums?   Got Cowbell?  Shirts , hats,original art and more at www.Cafepress.com/Drumodad

Offline Drumodad

• Cafe VIP
  • Loose Grips to Ya!
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2005, 11:29 PM »
:

2) don't worry if you make a mistake cuz most won't know (or care)

My tip comes from a friend who went to Berklee about making mistakes.I know I have flubbed parts here and there,and over there,and,well.If possible, whatever you did wrong,do it again,this way it gives the impression you meant to do it. Sometimes you even come up with a new/different way to play it,maybe even better thanwhat you first intended.
We`ll hold today to ransom `till our quartz clock stop until yesterday

Got Drums?   Got Cowbell?  Shirts , hats,original art and more at www.Cafepress.com/Drumodad

Offline Eskil Sæter

• Silver Member
  • Musician and geek
    • naigewron
    • About.Me
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2005, 02:30 AM »
Video a session from time to time to see how you look while at the kit, and also hear how you sound.

Thank you for the tip!

I just did this, and I got some good and some bad news (to use a cliche):

Good: I have much better technique than I give myself credit for, and I'm more even and steady than I thought I'd be

Bad: I'm terribly repetitive. I play the exact same snare pattern everywhere (snare on 2 and 4 and the E after 3 (3-E-and-ah)), and the kick pattern is a mirror of that. Booooooring!!!

As my single best tip: It's been said already, but practice along with (and "steal" techniques and tips from) any style you can get your hands on, no matter what kind of music you play with your band or what you like listening to.
- Eskil

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram