Topic: What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?  (Read 15592 times)

vanguard

Re:What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2005, 08:59 PM »
*pulls out his 2 cents*

ahh..  my deal is during a show, I'll kinda slow down whats happening in my head and try to "actively listen" to the song... the music.

...then I think "what can I do to make this all sound better?"   I'll look for the places to lay back, play the cool fills, change the groove, DISPLACEMENT, or just..  straight 2 and 4.

that is mine, but..   to qoute John Blackwell Jr.
"my dad told me that no matter what, if I played 2 & 4 I'll be alright"
.....true.   do what the heck ever you want, but if you hit the 2 and the 4..   you're atleast doing half your job. =D

oxford

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2005, 04:38 AM »
learn how to hang with the band. don't be a jerk.

paul

What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2005, 01:01 PM »
relax

drumwild

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2005, 02:26 PM »
I'll give a few of my $0.02, along with where I learned it.

When the replacement drummer says he won't steal your gig, that doesn't mean you'll get the gig back.

Ginger Fish, drummer for Marilyn Manson, fell off a moving hydraulic stage (about 12 feet) before a German music award show in September 2004. He was so badly injured that they thought he was dead at first. Manson called in NIN drummer Chris Vrenna to fill in. But Fish has a feeling that he will not be called back to the gig. As he puts it, "He (Vrenna) has been standing over my shoulder for the past 11 years, poised to take the spot. Manson is the boss and will decide who he wants for the job. Even if Vrenna wanted to give the gig back to me, it's not his decision."

Bring something unique and desirable to the table and you'll keep busy.

I've played in bands in a variety of positions, including lead guitar, bass, keys, and trumpet. Lots of times, I would notice that the drummer would be late to the gig, would have a bad attitude, wouldn't show up at all, or wanted to make outrageous demands. In some instances, I was asked to put down my instrument and play drums because the guy just didn't show. As a result, I show up on time and do my best to be easy to work with. There are lots of drummers out there who are better than me, so I'd best do something to set myself apart from the herd.

Maintain your gear.

I do some side work as a drum tech. It's amazing how it will be less than an hour before the gig, and the drummer will realize that he doesn't have sticks, a head is broken, a spring is missing, or some batteries need to be replaced in the IEM amp. I check my gear before I put it away and have extra replaceables (batteries, sticks, extra snare head etc.) at my disposal. The music store isn't always close by and it's definitely not open at 11pm.

Never be "too good" for a gig of any kind.

One of my drum tech gigs that seemed relatively insignificant landed me a spot as a Stage Manager for the band's show at the Van's Warped Tour in Portland, Oregon. Not only will it pay well, but it has opened other doors for new opportunities to earn cash and build a reputation. Had I decided to NOT take that gig because I was above that type of work, I'd not have the opportunities I currenty enjoy. Heck, I could ultimately be rewarded down the road with a phone call for a gig I can't refuse!

Ranman

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Move your 3 fingers out of the way when your sticks are coming back up.

Don't let them interfere (touch) AT ALL with the drumstick.

Use ALL 3 fingers going down

relax
Yesssss and it will be sooooo goooood.

JerBear

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2005, 08:23 PM »
My son's view... http://www.drumpix.com/showphoto.php?photo=3373&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
Soon to change...  moving the kit in front of the mirror.

jokerjkny

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2005, 04:03 AM »
wow,

BEST... THREAD... EVER!!!  8)

my own two bits?

sing along to the song.  keeps you from over playing, and helps to lock in not only with the song, but more importantly with the time.

Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm not bald; I'm aerodynamic.
    • k e i t h c r o n i n . c o m
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2005, 05:43 AM »
sing along to the song.  keeps you from over playing, and helps to lock in not only with the song, but more importantly with the time.

Another benefit of singing along with the song is that it can help prevent you from unconsciously making the dreaded Stupid-Looking Drummer Faces while you play.

In particular this helps prevent the Carp Out Of Water Gasping For Breath face, and the Sitting On The Toilet Thinking I've Got To Cut Back On The Fiber face.

tamazil799

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2005, 08:38 AM »
dont stiffen up when you play. take a few deep breaths and try to clear your mind before playing.

smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2005, 11:17 AM »
my favorite from my first teacher:

never be nervous, scared, shy, anxious before a gig. doing so demonstrates ego. if you demonstrate ego, you cannot play for the song.

we've bantered this about with varying interpretations hear, but just looking it at face value is where i'm at.

the other tip is to practice dropping sticks while playing. this is a good way to learn how to recover the groove. also helps you be less surprised when it actually happens.

Danno

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2005, 12:01 PM »
I'm tickled to death that this thread is still going.

Drummer Cafe has completely changed my style of drumming, and my drums themselves. I came back to drumming 14 months ago after not having played for 25 years. This time around, I decided to learn how to actually tune my drums, which is what brought me to Drummer Cafe in the first place - just looking for some tuning tips.

I've learned so much more than just tuning - I learned to relax (which changed everything, how I sit, what I sit on, my posture, etc.), and I'm learning Moeller technique, and I'm also starting to learn open-handed playing. I'm MUCH more comfortable and competent behind the drums than I used to be because of this forum.

My drums sound great, too. My bass drum sounds like a cannon, and my snare sounds like -- a snare. Finally.

I also made some equipment choices because of DC that I'm really glad I made - Speed King pedal, Acrolite snare, and Sabian HH cymbals. And my entire kit, with the exception of my hi-hat stand and my throne, was purchased piece by piece on eBay for about half new price.

Bottom line -- I used to be a really good rock/blues drummer. Now I kick a**. I owe 90% of my improvement to Drummer Cafe.

I look at it this way -- I spent around $28 to join Drummer Cafe, and because I joined and did a bunch of research and asked a bunch of questions, I ultimately (through eBay, another idea I got here) saved about $900 putting my new kit together, plus now I know how to tune, how to relax, etc. etc. PLUS I have a fantastic set of drums, and I'm not wearing myself out flogging them to death - now I just PLAY them.

Pretty good return on my investment.

felix

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2005, 12:30 PM »
another satisfied customer...

I'd say the secret to my success is my "never surrender" attitude.  Keep playing and practicing, everyday if you can.  Every year you will evolve as a drummer.

7lazy8

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2005, 01:57 PM »

the other tip is to practice dropping sticks while playing. this is a good way to learn how to recover the groove. also helps you be less surprised when it actually happens.

Unfortunately, i do this enough UNintentionally.  Some, I can recover gracefully, others, I cannot.

soulandfolk

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2005, 03:28 PM »
fills are great but if you love playing them too much the general groove of the song is lost.

Use fills, but sparingly. And don't start the song with them unless there's a special sound that song calls for. Wait a few bars before you put one in. Build them up so they get more interesting as you put in each new one. But remember, less is more. The basic groove of the song matters way more than how cool you are!

CeLoo

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2005, 02:38 AM »
All atheletes need to run and strech.  All drummers need to practice Eight on a Hand.

At least 20 min every day.  The same before and after you play set.
Try EOH until you reach zen like meditation levels. (four hours or more)

All aspects of you drumming will improve; notably, speed, controle, time, WEAK HAND.

Gaetano Nicolosi

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
    • Gaetano Nicolosi
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2005, 08:17 AM »
GREAT TIPS FROM EVERYONE!

Here is my favorite: "Don't practice when you play, and don't play when you practice"

felix

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2005, 01:53 PM »
What is Eight on a Hand?

Stewart Manley

• Cafe VIP
  • quondam 'moosetication'
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2005, 02:13 PM »
What is Eight on a Hand?

Play eight singles on one hand, then eight on the other, rinse, repeat...

glamrocker

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2005, 03:33 PM »
the guy who gave me my first ever kit (premier olympic) was my dad's mate who was a club drummer and ex dance band drummer... He kinda showed me the ropes to start me off and said "go out and get a Joe Loss record" or something recorded  just for dancing  and learn all the dance beats (waltz, foxtrot,samba,quickstep ,etc)  and you will never be short of work cos everything else after that is just interpretation.... and within a year I was earning £7.50 a night at the age of 13  and I went on to have one of the best apprenticeships I could have hoped for....... and he was right.Everything else is just interpretation!

glamrocker

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Oh Yes!   NEVER  take the attitude of "I'm ONLY the drummer!"  cos if you DO think like that...you ONLY ever will be!

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram