Topic: What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?  (Read 15347 times)

Offline Drumodad

• Cafe VIP
  • Loose Grips to Ya!
Re:What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2005, 07:19 PM »
Ok,my 1 cent,this exercise will stretch and strengthen the muscles you use the most while drumming.I learned it from Mr. Famularo.In the around the barrel position,palms up,very lightly put your index finger and thumb together,then extend and retract the remaining three fingers.All the way to a straight position,then touching palm,back to extended,etc.Do this as much as you can,driving,watching tv.,whenever you arent using your hands.It burns the first time,but it really makes a difference.Do a few free strokes,then this exercise for a minute,relax your hands,wrist.Then do more free strokes,you should feel less tension if you are doing it correctly.
We`ll hold today to ransom `till our quartz clock stop until yesterday

Got Drums?   Got Cowbell?  Shirts , hats,original art and more at www.Cafepress.com/Drumodad

glamrocker

What's one of your best drum/drumming tips?
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2005, 05:19 AM »
Never sleep with the lead singer. Trust me on this.

AND never sleep with the singer's wife or gay lover either !

Ghostrider

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2005, 07:23 AM »
I don't get a lot of time to read let alone post - but found the DC forum insightful, educational and silly, what more can you ask for in a drummer's forum?

Reading through the boards today, I'd have to say a good tip is to stay away from playing with fire and water on your drums! LOL!
...Unless you're a trained professional idiot like on Ripley's Believe It or Not or World's Funniest Home Videos. Hate to see someone get burned or worse yet drown! ;D

I had a singer friend who attempted to spit fire on stage one night - burned his hair off and naturally got us kicked out of the club (I personally was snickering in tears at my bud's "Kojak" head for weeks!). Another, a drummer friend, lit fire on his rims and cymbals during a show, burned the club rear stage wall (nearly the whole club) - spent 30 days in jail, a $10,000 fine + community service talking about the dangers in playing with fire. He did it later with that flash powder stuff and burned his arm and his shirt off!(?) Saw this one drummer do the water trick one night, with colored lights and such - months later saw him doing it and there was rust on the chrome real bad and some moldy stains or something all over his shells and heads. :P

I personally never understood the "trash your instrument" mentality. So take care of your drums and they will take care of you! :)

Ranman

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2005, 08:33 AM »
Exactly Ghostrider!

Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin never rolled around the stage because he felt that it had nothing to do with the music.

felix

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2005, 09:08 AM »
They got a name for everything now.

skeeter8000

« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2005, 01:40 AM »
In my earlier post in this thread I recommended setting a click track to play time followed by bars of silence as a way to work on solidifying your meter.   The point is to try and stay locked into the groove during the silence and still come in on the 1.   The benefit is that you don't become dependent on the metronome for staying locked into the groove.  

I recorded some MP3s that people that don't have a drum machine can use to practice this technique.  Please email me directly if you would like a link to these files.

Thanks,

Harry

Offline Marcos

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2005, 03:24 PM »
Don't look back - Keep an open mind - No sex before the big gig

that1drummer

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2005, 06:18 PM »
Love What You Do.

(especially your wife)

cragar

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2005, 03:51 PM »
If you leave your sticks on the dashboard, it's legal to park in a handicap spot

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram