Topic: Sounding like a tympani (without owning a tympani)  (Read 4476 times)

popmusic

Sounding like a tympani (without owning a tympani)
« on: February 21, 2002, 05:27 PM »
Here's a question looking for some creative solutions:

Say you're in the studio, and you're looking for a sound that approximates the sound of a tympani (just one tympani -- it doesn't have to be a set).

The hitch is, you don't want to use tympani samples to get the sound.

What might be a good subsitute sound?

I haven't tried it yet, but I've considered recording a floor tom but slowing down the pitch. Another idea I had was to use a water cooler jug and somehow mess around with that... Any other ideas?

Online Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re: Sounding like a tympani (without owning a tymp
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2002, 05:58 PM »
The best substitute, in my opinion, would be a 18 or 20 inch Roto Tom.

If you can't get a hold of a Roto Tom that big, I would try anything that does NOT have a resonant (bottom) head. If you are going to use a Floor Tom, take the bottom head off; it will sound closer to a Timpani.

Timbales might work as well, such as the low drum. You've already got the single head happening, plus the brass shell (if you have brass timbales) my assist in creating the copper bowl ring you get from Timpani.

I don't know how far out you are trying to get sound wise, but it sounds like you've got a lot of good ideas.

You could even try using a Kick Drum. Play it horizontally without the front/resonant head ... and use single-ply head on the batter side if you've got one. This will allow more resonance and high frequencies than if you use a two-ply head.

If you used the pitch modulation, a djembe or djun djun might be cool ... using soft mallets, and tuning the drums down.

The sky is your limit I guess.

QuadGod083

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2002, 06:31 PM »
I like the idea of using a kick drum, Bart...that gave me an idea...
Maybe we can finally find a use for all those gong bass drums in the Tama warehouse. :)

popmusic

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2002, 06:49 PM »
Great ideas, Bart!

If I need the tympani sound on my next song (I think I might), I'm gonna try out the kick and tom ideas.

mateus

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2002, 03:15 AM »
:D Great Idea man!!!

I know I'll need a tympani sound soon, and I think I gonna try it...

Can someone tells me a good tympani sound to look at, any CD or the kind?

Offline James Walker

• Cafe VIP
    • malletjazz
    • www.malletjazz.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2002, 04:24 AM »
Here's a question looking for some creative solutions:

Say you're in the studio, and you're looking for a sound that approximates the sound of a tympani (just one tympani -- it doesn't have to be a set).

I agree with Bart's suggestion that roto toms will be the "next best thing."  If you can't get access to roto toms, tho...

If you want to have a definite pitch, not just the timbre of timpani, use a floor tom or bass drum as has been suggested already, and try recording the pitch(es) you want, played on bass, and mix in the bass track just enough to give that sense of pitch to the sound.  This won't work for heavy-duty "Rite Of Spring" timpani parts, obviously, but for a single note, or maybe two, it might help to sell the effect a little bit better.
"I played with Holdsworth, Fripp, and Belew...I wish we drummers could play that differently. Drummers are starting to homogenize into the same guy, which frightens me." - Bill Bruford

Dwarf

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2002, 05:22 AM »
Hey Mateus, for a good example of a tympani sound try the beginning of Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss (also known as the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey).

--
Rob

rlhubley

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2002, 06:11 AM »
In college we played pieces that required the use of impact bass drums.  These are quite similiar to a tymp. sound, without the definite pitch.  I think you should use bart's suggestion of using a kick drum(assuming you don't have access to a big ass roto-tom!).  

First, you only need one head, a thin "ambassador or G1 type head, clear, lightly coated, suede, or renaisance, whatever you prefer).  Tune it pretty low.  Now place the drum on some sort of stand.   You can use chairs for this, whatever works, improvise dude!    I would think it should be placed horizontally, but could work vertically with proper mic placement(plus vertically would be easier to mount and play).  BTW, you won't acheive the true sound of a tympani using drumstics!  Make sure to get some mallets(although you won't need the professional ones.  Just get the Saul Goodmans, or the Vic Firths)

Dark Drummer

Re:Sounding like a tympani (without owning a tympani)
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2002, 08:44 PM »
acctually ive found that if u take a bass drum like a 22in or sometin around that size with no muffaling system what so ever and hit it with a bass pedal its will sound similar to a timpani

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram