Topic: Drumming Makes You Smarter!!!  (Read 3180 times)

Offline jokerjkny

• Cafe VIP
...this aint no time fo' jibba jabba!

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
Drumming Makes You Smarter!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 06:42 AM »
"Everyone gets some kind of release from hitting things, .........," says David Levine with the Percussion Marketing Council.

I can't agree with Mr. Levine here.  But that's just ME, personally.  He doesn't speak for ME on this one.

I'll agree with nearly any statements about studying drumming making one smarter though.

sirdrumalot

Re:Drumming Makes You Smarter!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 10:05 AM »
Hmmm... I'm not so sure that kids who play drums are more disciplined. That's what they'd like to think!!!! ;)

mediablamer

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 12:51 PM »
It's nice to see some evidence supporting my theory that everybody is a percussionist at heart. Although, I would like to see some comparisons to other musicians.

Danno

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 12:23 AM »
I allawys KNEW druming maid me smarrter  ! Nowe you have PROVE  it!,      thats grate    
       !     Sope, TP, Rasen Bran, tootpaste, Natonel Enqirer, hamberger, dog Food, dog bisqits oops this aint the groceres list

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 07:56 PM »
It also makes you a better communicator.  And stuff.
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
Drumming Makes You Smarter!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 09:38 AM »
noteworthy aside: when i first scanned this section, i thought the post read, "dumming makes you smarter'

ba-dump-CRASH!

but without reading the article, i'd have to broadly agree. or at least say, it helps with neuron functioning overall.
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

Online Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 10:02 AM »
Hmmm... I'm not so sure that kids who play drums are more disciplined. That's what they'd like to think!!!! ;)

FACT: Many school band programs in the USA choose their percussionists from students with a high grade point and/or IQ. In this case, students are already smart before they play drums/percussion.

I don't know if it makes them smarter, but it is a known fact that participating in new activities that challenge the brain definitely builds it up and makes it stronger. This would be a valid reason to change your set-up from time to time, or lead with your weak hand. Although you may not perform well with these changes, you are building new neural pathways in the brain ... and it's all good! Different activities build different parts of the brain.

DWdrmr

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 05:01 PM »
I allawys KNEW druming maid me smarrter  ! Nowe you have PROVE  it!,      thats grate    
       !     Sope, TP, Rasen Bran, tootpaste, Natonel Enqirer, hamberger, dog Food, dog bisqits oops this aint the groceres list
HAHAHAHAHA.............LOL...now THAT'S funny.God bless the pygmies in South America....funny 8)

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram